New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks ‘Felt Good’ After 14th Straight TD-Less Game

December 2nd, 2013 at 3:12 PM
By Doug Rush

Before Sunday night's game against the Washington Redskins, it had been 13 straight games since Hakeem Nicks had found the end zone for the New York Giants, dating all the way back to December 9th of last season in a game against the New Orleans Saints.

After Sunday's 24-17 victory over the Redskins, that number is now up to 14 straight games without a touchdown for the Giants number one wide receiver. After being inactive and benched by Giants head coach Tom Coughlin for the team's 24-21 loss to the Dallas Cowboys two weeks ago due to an abdominal injury, Nicks returned to play Washington on Sunday night but was held to two catches for 34 yards, which now puts his 2013 season totals to 44 catches for 654 yards and no touchdowns.

Despite only being targeted twice on the field by Eli Manning, Nicks said he was feeling much better after missing the game against Dallas after being limited in practice the week before after word came down that he had the injury and wouldn't suit up for the game against Dallas, but was good to go for Washington.

“I felt real good,’’ Nicks said. “I just tried to take advantage of every opportunity I could.”

The remaining four games of the season for the Giants are extremely critical to Nicks' future as he is a pending free agent after the season and was hopeful of getting a contract similar to the one Mike Wallace got this past spring with the Miami Dolphins; which was for five years at $11 million per season and $30 million guaranteed, but right now, that's looking like a stretch.

With Nicks having a rather unproductive season as a "number one receiver," some have questioned whether or not he will even be back with the Giants in 2014 or if they will simply let him walk as a free agent and look to either draft another wide receiver or look to the free agent market to sign someone else and move on with Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle as the primary targets.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington Redskins

38 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks ‘Felt Good’ After 14th Straight TD-Less Game”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

fanfor55years says:
      December 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I don’t expect us to be able to get him, but if Koundijio (?) the ‘Bama LT is available when we pick I don’t know how we pass on him.

Saban hints that he is better than Fluker. And Saban moved Barrett Jones to center to make room for this kid at LT after Jones was ALL-SEC there and looking like a first-round draft pick. The kid is a stud. Potential perennial Pro Bowler and grabbing him would fully justify moving Beatty to the right side or trading him for a pick.

We’ll never get near Matthews, but with all the teams that need quarterbacks there’s an outside chance this guy could slide to us. He’d be a great pick.

BigBlueGiant says:
      December 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Matthews is top 5, Lewell’s stock is falling.

Cyrus Kouandjio will be aroud when we pick, unless he has a stellar combine.

I’m sticking with WR/TE as our 1st pick as I’ve thought all along. I said WR when we started winning, and ss i’m expecting Nicks to leave and we need a replacement. I said we will win enough games to knock us out of the top 5, and likely win enough to draft anywhere from 9-13. I think Evans, Watkins, Ebron, Marquis Lee might be good fits here.

Also, If we go defense, Anthony Barr has slipped in recent mocks, Khalil Mack looks like a solid LB, same with CH Mosely.

The Nicks situation really sucks. A couple years ago he was incredible. I remember some games where he just took over. Easily one of my fav guys … easily. Now he and the team are playing out the string till he’s gone. Death marching till free agency arrives and he moves on. This sucks.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

He fell off big time. He plays scared and doesnt like contact.

Not sure if it’s the injuries or he’s just protecting himself. But he’s clearly not the same player he once was. And teams aren’t even concentrating too much on him.

i’m ok with him leaving, actually. He’s been pretty absent this year.

•  creewan says:

I just think he’s protecting himself in a contract year. Nothing more. His next payday will be the most money he will make in his lifetime and will provide him with the foundation of he and his family’s financial future. He knows he can’t get hurt if he wants to get paid. Even if he continues to play well below his standards and ends the 2013 season with no scores he will still be in line for a hefty pay day.

It may not be what Mike Williams got but with only Eric Decker and James Jones in his free agent class he will be heavily targeted this off season. He has a 31 chances to get a big pay day and all it takes is one GM desperate for a play maker to take a leap of faith and pay the guy. He’s talented. He may have lost a step but no one can tell me that he just lost it all. He’s simply half stepping out there in an effort to not get hurt.

I don’t like it. I loved the guy. But the NFL is a cruel business. Nicks was a budding superstar during his first 3 seasons. In 2011, he gave us one of the most amazing post season performances I can remember by a WR en route to our 2nd World Championship in 5 years. All that while having to live in the shadow of unexpected superstar Victor Cruz. He was never a distraction. He was never a diva WR. He never hated on Cruz, Coughlin, Eli, Gilbride, or anyone involved in the organization/situation.

Last season he battled his way through various injuries in an effort to stay on the field and help his team win. He didn’t make excuses. He didn’t talk about his money. He supported Victor Cruz. He supported Reuben Randle. He’s never thrown Eli under the bus. He’s been an A-Plus teammate.

Then this off season the team pays Cruz and lets Nicks take the field with no extension. Randle gets nothing but more and more targets and the team publicly praises him all off season.

When you add it all up you can understand why Nicks may not be all in. I’m not saying I agree with him. Of course we want everyone to cater to our wants as diehard Giants fans. We want them to sacrifice. We want them to lay it all the line every Sunday. But the reality is that we’re not in his shoes. He’s got money to make. He’s doing what he’s gotta do in the cruel cut throat world that is the NFL. It sucks. But it is the reality of the business. I loved the guy and appreciate his contributions. Even this season when he’s been garbage his distraction to the team has been minimal. He’s been a class act. I can’t hate him for dogging it.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah it really is a bummer. He was one of my favorites since the day we drafted him. And he showed skill right away.

Sucks that injuries have taken away what looked like a great career in blue.

On a side note been watching some highlights of Lee from USC and Watkins from Clemson. Those dudes can play. I’d take either, although just from watching Lee looks bigger.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Lee is the bigger of the two. But Watkins is more dynamic, and can return kicks and punts. He’s a bit like Djax with his speed and size. Very similar skill set.

Personally, I’d rather have a bigger target for Eli to throw too. That’s why I like Mike Evans. 6’6″ 235, can jump, has breakaway speed ( although he’s not superfast, more quick), Runs good routes, plays with an Eli like QB ( Manziel), and is physical.

Since Eli likes to throw high, I’d like a bigger target for him.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah just watched some tape of Evans. He’s good but seems like less of an athlete than Lee or Watkins. Not saying I wouldn’t want him, but if I’m taking a WR top 15 then I’d prefer one who also has the speed of Watkins or Lee.

And obviously this is a snap judgement since I’ve only heard about 2 of these 3 guys in the last hour or so.

•  Nosh.0 says:

And yeah you’re right Watkins is crazy quick and shifty. But something about Lee is intriguing. Just looks like a grown man playing with boys. Will be interesting to watch all these guys leading up to the draft.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

all 3 should go in the top 20.

I just think Eli needs a bigger target. I look at Chicago’s big WR’s Jeffries is (6’5″) and Marshall (6’4), they’re very hard to defend in the red zone. Given our red zone problems, a big target would be fitting for Eli to just tear drop fade routes too.

I’d like Evans, but would be happy with Watkins and Lee as well.

Eli had his best year with Nicks, Cruz and Manningham. I don’t think size is a needed factor at WR. At TE yes but not at WR. I just don’t think Evans is as athletic is the big WRs that you mentioned and that will hurt him NFL wise. He reminds me of the USC WR Mike Williams.

•  LUZZ says:

Where do you get tape? Is there a place on the net to get coaches tape? Or were you referring to highlights? I’ve seen coaches tape out there but I don’t know where we can get it.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Don’t be a d#c-k head. You know I’m talking about youtube highlights.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Sorry. Didn’t know if you were being condescending or asking a legitimate question. But yeah just watching highlights on youtube. I don’t know where to find coaches tape.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I watch a ton of Pac-12 football. My brother played at ASU a few years back and i have friends who are close with the program still.

Marquis Lee to me seems like a Michael Crabtree like type of WR. It might take him a while to adjust in the NFL. it took Crabtree what 3 season to get it down?

I think Watkins and Evans might actually be ready to play day 1.

Disagree. Williams had played in a pro system and the other two haven’t. That’s a big deal in my book. Lee is ready to play day one in my view. I see a lot of Dez in him though he’s probably a little smaller.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Im not saying he isn’t good and i like the kid a lot. I just think he might take a few years to get adjusted.

3.  creewan says:

Baas has two years left on his deal after this season. He restructured this past off-season, moving dead money further down into his last two years, making it more difficult to cut him. One way that the Giants could deal with his situation is to cut him after this season, and gain $1,775,000 in cap space this off-season. The second course of action that they can take is to wait until after 2014 to cut him, when they could gain significantly more cap space – $5,250,000 to be exact – and have less dead money on the books as well ($3,225,000 compared to exactly double that amount if the Giants cut him after this year).

This brings me to the third option…(somehow Heisenberg’s voice during his conversation with Gustavo Fring from Breaking Bad out in the desert is rattling around in my head as I type this).

If Baas continues to be a liability by not being able stay healthy, or play well when healthy, then they might have to go with the first option – something which is becoming increasingly apparent. A third way that they could do this AND gain MORE THAN $1,775,000 in cap space would be by releasing him this off-season and designating him as a post-June 1st cut. Teams can do this with up to two players a year. The Dolphins did this with two of their own this past off-season when they designated Linebackers Kevin Burnett and Karlos Dansby as such; you can read about it by clicking HERE.

Teams that use this strategy won’t reap the cap benefits right away though. They have to wait until June 2nd to do so; however, the players who are released under this designation are free to sign elsewhere as free agency starts when more money is available, and teams are ready to flex their wallets, so to speak. This is advantageous to the player in that it gives them a much better opportunity to find a job elsewhere at a higher salary, instead of waiting until after June 1st when teams have shot their collective wads.

As of June 2nd, the team can then gain room from not only the regular cap savings (which after 2013 in Baas’ case would be $1,775,000), but they’d also be able to spread out the remaining dead money – provided the player has at least 2 years left on his deal and has not completed his 4th year with the club (as per the present CBA, NFL contracts can’t be prorated more than 5 years). If the Giants were to exercise this option with Baas this coming off-season, they’d be able to split up his Dead Money over the course of two seasons – 2014 and 2015.

That Dead Money amount, if he were to be released this off-season would be $6,450,000. The Giants would be able to evenly spread this amount out over those two years of 2014 and 2015. They would also GAIN an extra $3,225,000 in cap space in addition to the regular amount of cap savings mentioned above ($1,775,000) if they were to release him under normal non-post-June 1st standards. Their cap savings in this case would be $5,000,000 in 2014 with only $3,225,000 in Dead Money remaining on the books for 2014 – half the original amount. The other $3,225,000 will be added to the 2015 season’s Dead Money total.

This third option that I described in detail above will be seriously considered after the season, as the Giants evaluate Baas’ future on the team. Suffice it to say, due to a combination of his injuries and consequent subpar performance in comparison to this contract, he won’t be here past 2014 at the LATEST. Hell, he’ll be lucky to be here next year the way things are going. To wrap this up, and paraphrase Heisenberg in the process, let me go on record as saying that as of this moment, I prefer option 3.

GOAT56 says:
      December 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM
      The perfect TE fit for us is the Jenkins kid from Washington. He’s more like the Gronk type of TE which I think we need even if Gillbride is not back. I’m still have not given up on Robinson/Donnell but we definitely need another Bennett like option to make sure we are covered. If we don’t re-sign Nicks 2 TEs could be a staple of the offense if we have 2 good ones like Cincinati.

I think CB makes a lot of sense. I like Hosley and TT but neither we know we can count on. Plus we need depth and another CB that can develop into a true starter. Hosley maybe can be that be he needs to stay on the field and continue to play like last night.

At WR I think we are better drafting someone in the 3rd, 4th round and bringing back Manningham. He’s been injured and has hurt his value. But as a 3rd WR that can step up if someone is out and knows our system (I think Gillbride returns) he’s fits well.

I like Brown and thought he would make the difference he’s made but he’s not worth big money. Low guarantees and no more than 3 mil per year is cool with me but more and I let him walk.

Repost:

BigBlueGiant says:
      December 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM
      GOAT- Ebron can CERTAINLY fit in our system now. And next year, I honestly don’t think that Gilbride will be here. I think that Mara and Reese will want changes and the offense given the “talent” it has, has been extremely poor.

Ebron is not only the best TE available. He has NFL SUPERSTAR written all over him. Come April his stock will Soar and he will be a top 15 pick.

Oh, as for Evans…. He might not be a speedster, but he’s big, Athletic and can make plays. He reminds me a bit of Plax. Tall, Lanky, runs great Routes. and gets good separation. Given that Eli throws high, he’s a nice target for him. Look what Alshon Jeffries has done for Chicago’s offense. He fits the same mold as Evans. Not a speedster but, runs great routes, has great hands and is tall and Lanky. We need a big tall, Physical WR. We all saw what ELI did with Plax.

i like the Watkins kid if we’re looking for some great speed. And him and Marquis Lee will be around, unless we win out. Which I dont think is happening.

So figure we’ll pick in the 9-13 slots.

GOAT56 says:
      December 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
      He’s small. He’s more like a souped up WR. I like him as a player he just doesn’t fit with what we do. He’s just slightly bigger than Beckum. I agree Beckum wasn’t him as a player but part of the reason why Beckum or even Myers fits is they are not our style of TE. Just like Aaron Hernedez wouldn’t fit here football wise. Ebron is a lot like Aaron Hernedez.

I think a better solution is you sign a vet like we have the past two years who’s a better fit like Bennett was.

I don’t think Evans is Jefferies. Jefferies played with no QB in a system that wasn’t throwing the ball all over the place and put up great college numbers. I saw him get totally wiped out against LSU and Mizz.

Watkins and Lee are better WR prospects than we had last year so I think they both could be gone. We are currently 14 and could move further down. A 2-2 record puts us in the same place. There are a glut of teams with a 5-7 record.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Ebron is an inch taller than Vernon Davis, and weighs 5 lbs less than him. they’ll bulk him up.

He’s athletic as they come for a TE, and can be that Hybrid TE/ Hback we are looking for.

AND if Gilrbide should be fired ( which i think there’s a good chance he might be), in a new system, who knows what we’ll be looking for offensively. I’ll tell you one thing, anyone controlling the plays called in will be more creative and find use for some of our guys more than Gilbride has.

Davis is extremely strong and a FREAK. I went Maryland so I knew about him long ago. Most TEs at 250 can’t block the way Davis does, they are just not strong enough.

Even if Gillbride is fired I prefer a real sized TE that’s extremely athletic like Gronk or Graham. Davis does they same things but only because he’s one of the biggest freaks of an athlete in the whole NFL.

You can have you beefs with Gillbride but with the way the OL and Eli have played this year he’s done the best he could. The end of last year you have legit beef. But with those factors and the RBs we had to play with much of this year I don’t think Gillbride did a bad job. He completely changed the way he called pass plays to adjust to our personnel.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

so let me get this straight. You watch ACC football and have come away unimpressed with Eric Ebron?

I went to the UM and watch a ton of ACC football ( well, they were big east when I was there), but still, i’ve watched this kid Ebron, block, catch, make great plays all over the field this year. He’s actually one of the guys that i’ve kept my eyes on throughout the past two years. He’s legit and NFL ready.

He’ll put on 15 lbs of muscle and become an absolute beast.

6.  LUZZ says:

Nosh – I’ve seen coaches tape on the net before, and I was told there was a place that it was available, but never found it.

It’s good for college games to show alignments, wish
      it was made more available though. I think you may have to pay to get it.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Sorry about that post before. Yeah I’m sure there is a way to get it. Anything the colleges can make money on they will. But I don’t know where you can get it free.

Still think G101 should have 1 writer that does nothing but watches the Giants coaches tape and breaks down the film for us every wednesday. Haz where you at?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

one of my favorite articles on G101 was when Demo wrote that article on the difference between Perry Fewell’s Cover 2 and Monte Kiffen’s Tampa 2.

demo gave a very insightful look at the X and O’s of the schemes and how cover 2 defenses vary and work. It was well written and easy to follow for someone who doesn’t know football’s schemes.

7.  BigBlueGiant says:

BTW, anyone see my boy Burfict lay out Anny Woodhead? Another 13 tackle performance from Mr. Burfict.

8.  JimStoll says:

all the talk of next year’s draft is regrettably appropriate now that we are all but eliminated from the playoffs.
      t both the Eagles and the Cowboys have to lose 3 of their next 4 (and we have to win out) for the Giants to make it because each will finish with a better division record than us (the Cowboys also swept us).
      If both the Cowboys and Eagles win this week we will be all but mathematically eliminated as they play one another the final week of the season and only a tie, on the heels of 2 previous losses would give us the division (9-7 v. 8-7-1)
      as unlikely as all that is, it seems to me the one thing that would give the remainder of the season meaning would be a kick-a$$ performance and victory against what will likely be the 12-1 Seahawks
      if we did that, we could pretend that but for this, that and the other thing, we could have and would have made the playoffs, etc., etc.

And although that is a tired refrain from this bunch, at least a victory over the NFC’s best team would lend a little credence and some hope for next season.

You’re all over the place this season. I have no problem with that. But this was the most realistic post you’ve made.

10.  Dirt says:

Loving every second of the Seahawks tearing a crater sized new aszhole into the Saints