November 2nd, 2013 at 11:00 AM

When the New York Giants acquired linebacker Jon Beason from the Carolina Panthers in early October, it was reportedly done so for a late-round pick. That pick has ranged, based on rumor and speculation, from as low as a sixth-round pick to as high as a fifth-round pick. However, it is now being reported by The Star-Ledger that General Manager Jerry Reese was able to bring Beason in for only a seventh-round pick.

In other words, Beason has been a steal. A steal that has, thus far, served the Giants exceptionally well.

"He’s again upbeat, has that personality, an outgoing personality, a very confident personality. He’s had success in the game. He loves the game. He speaks with an aura of authority of having been there," Tom Coughlin recently said of Beason. "I think the players have responded well to his aggressive style. Let’s face it, he’s an aggressive football player. He’s looking to make hits and tackles and I think the players have responded to that."

Considering what Beason has brought to the table, how players have responded and how it has transformed the Giants defense, it's a seventh-round pick well spent. And even if Beason turns out to be a rental — which seems unlikely as he wants to retire a Giant — it's been a good investment that has, at least for the moment, saved Big Blue's divisional hopes.

photo credit: Rogueldr128 via photobucket

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Football, Jerry Reese, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

12 Responses to “New York Giants Acquired Jon Beason from Carolina Panthers for a Seventh-Round Pick: Report”

1.  Chad Eldred says:

That’s actually pretty exciting news. Now if they can just manage to bring him back.

2.  Aziz Mohamed says:

Wow, Reese really did well here. Who knows if it was a fluke or not, in the end he found us our starting MLB, maybe 4 games too late but sure enough he did.

3.  James Stoll says:

Dan. I thought I could close out these ads but appears not to be so
    Any way to close them so I can read the top posts?
    This is an iPad issue
    Thanks for the advice

4.  JBeast says:

Well i can’t be happier with Beason right now and happy to be eating crow after my tirade when the trade broke.I hope he stays healthy and continue playing this level or even better.

Also, heres to hoping the eagles, Boys and skins all lose this weekend. If that happens the giants would have more than a realistic chance of winning the division.

5.  GIANTT says:

Just catching up – First Jim Stoll , I know I have commented on your less than
    optimistic insights in the past but I must agree with your analysis on the teams second half propects .I think they will definitely do better than the first half but not run the table . Also Despite the WSJ article , I really dont want to see the Giants tank the second half to get better draft picks . I think I can safely say that anyone who suggested this to TC would probably end up with a mouthful of verbal knuckles .
    Regarding Beason , This is as good as it gets for a team to pick someone up with his skill AND enthusiasm even up to a fifth round pick .I still cant for the life of me figure that ANYONE can think Blackburn is a better LBr thn Beason .
    Will someone PLEASExplain it ?

6.  kujo says:

Yup, this is the definition of a steal. Outside of Bradshaw, Reese–like almost all GMs– doesn’t make much out of his 7th round picks. Trading one for a standout player like Beason was a coup. But let’s not feel badly for Carolina–they saw a damaged asset, with a big contract, who had simply been passed by by a younger, better, cheaper player. So they flipped him for what they could, feeling that no matter what happened, he was not going to be a middle linebacker for them any longer.

Beason should be the captain of our defense for the next 3-4 years. If he finishes out the year healthy, Reese will make him a Giant for the rest of his career, and beyond.

7.  GIANTT says:

Kujo when you say better are you referring to Kuechly or Blackburn ? I will go along with Kuechly but please dont tell me you meant Blackburn . Although now that I look at it again , you did say younger so Im assuming you meant Kuechly

8.  Fusionhead says:

This was a great move when often the only available bodies are plugs. Lets hope Jon continues to play with a chip for a long time.

Chase was a sentimental favorite, but not in the same class as Jon Beason.