With the NFL trade deadline (Tuesday at 4:00 PM EST) rapidly approaching, there's been much speculation about the possibility of the New York Giants (1-6) trading wide receiver Hakeem Nicks. After all, Nicks is poised to become an unrestricted free agent following the season and there's no guarantee that he can, will or even want to return to Big Blue. And while that situation is still a ways away, the possibility for a trade is here now.
In a recent poll conducted by the National Football Post, six NFL executives named Nicks as the No. 1 player most likely to be traded by the deadline.
“If you look at the whole situation, it makes sense,” an NFC general manager told the National Football Post. “[Giants General Manager] Jerry Reese is really good at finding receivers, they’ve already paid [fellow wide receiver] Victor Cruz, they have [second-year receiver] Rueben Randle and they have other players to worry about signing. It’s not really their style to trade during the season, but 1-6 is 1-6.”
Despite this poll and the aforementioned speculation, the Giants have not been actively looking to trade their star wide receiver, although they have been open to hearing offers. And while nothing substantial has occurred just yet — other than, perhaps, the unfounded rumor that he had been traded to the Detroit Lions a few weeks back — that doesn't mean things couldn't heat up by Tuesday.
8. G David Diehl, New York Giants – The injury to center David Baas likely makes it harder for the Giants to trade an offensive lineman of any ability. Beyond that, Diehl is 33 and fading. However, getting any offensive lineman at this point is almost impossible, especially one who has high-level experience at left tackle. Diehl is on an expiring con-tract, so there’s a chance he could move.
For Nicks, the "likely suitors" are listed as the Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs and Detroit Lions, while Diehl's likely suitors are limited to the Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks and Miami Dolphins.
Maybe, just maybe, the Giants will be active at the trade deadline after all. But don't hold your breath.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!
You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!David Diehl, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning: Obviously, I Don’t Want Hakeem Nicks to Be Traded
- New York Giants not Actively Shopping Hakeem Nicks; Unlikely to Trade Him by Deadline: Report
- Should the New York Giants Seriously Consider Trading Hakeem Nicks Before Deadline?
- Multiple Teams Preparing Trade Offers for New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/12xo