October 5th, 2013 at 4:14 PM
By Doug Rush

The New York Giants have already been decimated by injuries and it has only gotten worse for them on Saturday on the eve of their Week 5 matchup with the Philadelphia Eagles as veteran cornerback Aaron Ross has been placed on season-ending injured reserve with a back injury.

Kimberly Jones of the NFL Network was the one to break the news first on Saturday afternoon that Ross would be out for the remainder of the 2013 season.

"NYG announce S Will Hill (drug suspension) & CB Charles James (prac squad) added to roster. CB Aaron Ross to IR, OL Dallas Reynolds waived," she tweeted.

Ross was originally ruled out for the team's game against the Eagles after suffering the initial back injury last week against the Kansas City Chiefs and never returned to the game. Ross was held out of practice all week long and then was officially ruled out on Friday, but his placement on season-ending injured reserve comes as a major shock to a lot of people.

After starting his first five years in the league with the Giants, he left to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars on a three-year deal for 2012, but was released for salary cap reasons, which lead to him being brought back by the Giants in March.

The Giants have also announced that safety Will Hill is has been activated after being suspended for the first four games of the regular season and will likely see his first action of the year on Sunday against the Eagles. Hill's return will give the team some much needed depth at the safety position, as the team is without Stevie Brown for the entire season after tearing his ACL back in August in the preseason against the New York Jets.

The team has been using Antrel Rolle and Ryan Mundy as the two primary safeties; they also have rookie Cooper Taylor on the roster, but with Hill coming back, he will likely get used in the team's safety rotation and see more playing time over Taylor.

The other move the team made was waiving center Dallas Reynolds, who was only signed four days ago and was thought to be playing against his former team, but with Reynolds being waived, the team likely must think that starting center David Baas can come back from the neck injury that's been bothering him for almost two weeks and has held him out. Some thought Baas could have been put on season-ending IR, but with Reynolds now gone, that won't be the case.

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Aaron Ross, Dallas Reynolds, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Hill

54 Responses to “New York Giants Place Aaron Ross on IR, Activate Will Hill & Make Two Other Moves”

1 2 3
  1.  James Stoll says:

Didn’t realize it was such a serious injury

2.  jerseyrich says:

This is actually reaching ridiculous proportions. Wow.

3.  jerseyrich says:

So much for Reynolds too. Baas is done….why are they screwing around?

4.  jerseyrich says:

SERIOUSLY….how in the FUGG does baas go from possibly needing season-ending neck surgery to being able to start? What the heck is going on here????

5.  JBeast says:

even with all these injuries i still think the giants win this game on sunday, the def will do enough to and the offense will be humming as good as its been all season. David Wilson will have his break out game of the season.

•  turkish says:

Eagles win this easy. They are trying to win, this Giants team isn’t.

•  JBeast says:

I don’t think the giants are as bad as they look, the OL will start playing a bit better esp with more playing time together. Im hoping the coaching staff take a long look in the mirror and realize the mistakes that they are making.

6.  turkish says:

Smells like 2003 to me.

7.  jfunk says:

First, shout out to Doug for keeping the articles flowing since Dan bowed out. Good work and keep’em coming.

Second, shout out to Stoll for producing almost as much content as the writers in recent weeks. All good stuff too.

That being said, Jim I have one issue with your perspective. You seem to see every failure as “proof” that every negative assessment you’ve had of the team has always been spot on, despite all the success they’ve had. You can’t call negative performances proof and completely dismiss all the excellent performances as luck. If the current state of affairs is proof that this team is bad (it is), then you must also accept two trophies in the case as proof that those teams were great.

If you “are what your record says you are”, then 2-0 in the only game that counts says the Tom Coughlin/Jerry Reese/Eli Manning Giants have been one of the best 1-3 teams in the NFL over the past decade.

This team is bad and needs to have some major changes before September 2014 comes around. You’re right about this team. But you were wrong about them in the past. The fact that this team is crashing & burning does not validate your incorrect assessments of the team that went 8 years without a losing season while winning 2 Championships.

And I don’t get all the hate for Beason trade. I’m not high on it, don’t get me wrong. But this team has a lot of problems to address in the off season and it’s certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that Beason could provide a stabilizing presence at one of our most needy positions for 2-3 years. For a 5th – 7th round pick and $750K I think it’s worth finding out. Just because the team knows it needs talent at LB doesn’t mean they can find all they need in one off season no matter how hard they try. Beason carries more NFL proven performance in his gym bag than the rest of this roster has combined, he’s certainly not going to hurt the group overall. Even if he can’t play 50 snaps, his presence will likely be a positive.

I don’t think most of the regulars are not posting because we are doing badly. Life happens. But catching up on the comments here is so negative that it does make me want to post less.

Kujo – you are comparing JR against air. you are criticizing his bring in bums but without looking at GMs you can’t accurately access what he’s doing compared to other GMs. No GM is perfect or close to it. And yes you have criticized his lack of drafting OL players in the high rounds so my Steeler comment is very justified.

I called for Ross to but cut after the Carolina game so this is the next best thing. Ross isn’t horrible but he’s a JAG and our 5th best CB at best. I rather see Holsey and James plus right now McBride might be better too.

Speaking of James i’m excited he’s going to play. I hope he’s our PR because he can provide the exact type of energy we need. Plus I think he showed in preseason he’s our best PR.

Hill can provide energy as well along with just being a very talented player. The injuries at CB plus Hill’s talent scream for lots of 3 safety looks. With suspended players now allowed to be around the team Hill should be ready to make an impact immediately.

Beason is exactly the of pickup people have been screaming for all offseason but now that JR acquired him there’s a problem. Daryl Smith, Dansby, etc. had concerns too. Look I wish we signed Dansby but we didn’t. We though Herzlich could play but at least we didn’t just sit around and do nothing.

We also get to see Hankins this week. I said before the year that this season is about our young players and really besides Prince and Pugh we have gotten little production from them. Our young players along with our elite players playing better is how we get better.

•  kujo says:

No your comment was NOT justified. I have not once said “we need to draft any offensive linemen available in the 1st round.” Not once. I’ve liked various prospects over the years–Castonzo, both Pounceys, Fluker, Tyron Smith, DeCastro, Barrett Jones, Pete Konz, etc. But my argument has always been that Reese devalues this group (as well as the LBs and RBs, prior to Wilson’s drafting) and over-values other areas.

And I agree–I’m possess not the knowledge of the 31 other teams in the league in order to make an independent assessment of the success rate of draft picks under other General Managers. In fact, I admitted so in my posts from earlier in the day. But I just have a hard time believing that anyone thought of as a “great” talent evaluator can be batting .300. I could very well be wrong–and, again, admitted so. But I really don’t think I am, and I’ve yet to see any substantial evidence to the contrary presented by the Reese Lovers on this site. Instead, we’ve gotten a lot of generalities like “you don’t know how other teams are” and “all GMs make mistakes.” So, in lieu of some actual proof that Reese’s enormous struggles are somehow typical of upper tier executives in this league, I’ll just go ahead and continue to trust the evidence that I DO have–that he has something like 20+ total and utter BUSTS under his watch.

9.  Dirt says:

One thing about the Beason trade that intrigues me: I see on the stock photos for the articles that he used to wear the C on his jersey. Perhaps he could bring some of that swag and leadership from the U, which is sorely needed under the auspices of a Tuck-led defense.

10.  Dirt says:

Speaking of players from the U who have undergone microfracture knee surgery, I can but I can’t believe Kenny Phillips is not in the league right now.

•  turkish says:

Still kills me to put him in the BUST bin, but he is.

•  kujo says:

I don’t think he was a bust. I mean, if we don’t label Steve Smith, Chad Jones and Clint Sintim as busts, then we can’t label KP as one either.

•  JBeast says:

i agree with Kujo KP is not a bust, he was a huge cog in this defense and at one point offenses were scared to throw the ball deep

1 2 3