It took quite some time, but former New York Giants defensive tackle Marvin Austin finally has a new home. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports that Austin has officially signed with the Miami Dolphins.
Austin, a second-round pick of the Giants in the 2011 NFL Draft, never really lived up to the hype or his potential in New York. He missed his entire rookie season due to a torn pectoral muscle, and appeared in only eight games as a reserve in 2012, collecting just eight tackles.
The former North Carolina Tar Heel vowed to open some eyes in 2013, but with the surprising play of Shaun Rogers, Mike Patterson and Cullen Jenkins throughout camp and into the preseason, Austin became expendable.
“At the end of the day, this is the NFL. It’s about competition. It’s a performance-based business. I haven’t performed since I’ve been here. That’s what they want to see. Am I going to be able to perform, be able to play at the high level they drafted me? Like any organization, they’re going to protect themselves and see if I’m ready and give me a chance to go out and compete. That’s all I can ask for," he said in August.
Despite playing much better than he had the previous season, he was ultimately cut when the Giants trimmed their roster to 53 men.
Prior to signing with the Dolphins, Austin also worked out for the Kansas City Chiefs, Cincinnati Bengals, Seattle Seahawks and Detroit Lions.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
It's not everyday you get to meet a super bowl champion, get an autograph and take a photo... unless you're Eli Manning. For everyone else here's your chance.
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!Football, Marvin Austin, Miami, Miami Dolphins, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Former New York Giants DT Marvin Austin Visits Detroit Lions; Could Sign This Week
- As Miami Dolphins Stand Firm, Agent for Fullback Vonta Leach Re-Opens Talks with Other Teams
- Vonta Leach May Visit New York Giants; Miami Dolphins Remain Front Runners
- New York Giants Out of Vonta Leach Sweepstakes; Miami Dolphins in Lead to Land Fullback
- New York Giants’ Marvin Austin Understands He Has a Lot to Prove: “I’ve Got to Show What I Can Do”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/11b1