September 10th, 2013 at 6:30 AM
By Doug Rush

With two costly fumbles in the New York Giants 36-31 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday night, David Wilson earned himself a spot in Tom Coughlin's dog house along with a spot on the bench, as he was taken out in the second half of the game for Da'Rel Scott.

With the horrible outing on Sunday night, Coughlin is having some skepticism on his second-year running back, as he told reporters on Monday that he wasn't ready to commit just yet to going with Wilson as the starter for Week 2 against the Denver Broncos.

"I’m not going to get into that yet," said Coughlin, who added that he liked what he saw from Wilson’s backup, Da’Rel Scott. "We’ll see what happens here as we get started in the week."

What likely will factor into Coughlin's decision as to who to use at running back will be the team bringing in several running backs on Tuesday for workouts, as former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, former Broncos and Baltimore Ravens running back Willis McGahee will be those in East Rutherford on Tuesday looking to get a deal signed and potentially be suiting up to start against Denver.

The need for a veteran running back became a drastic one in the final game of the preseason when Andre Brown went down for the first 10 weeks of the season with a leg injury to the same leg he broke against the Green Bay Packers last November. If Brown weren't on temporary injured reserve, then the Giants aren't looking to other options and Brown could carry the load for the team, which at times he did last season.

Despite Wilson's upside as a dynamic athlete with a ton of speed who can break a play for six on any given carry, the fact that he's now fumbled in two straight opening games for the Giants and more importantly, the two he lost on Sunday night in Dallas played into the Giants losing to Dallas. Plus, add in the fact that he missed making blocks in the back field to help protect Eli Manning, and you have the recipe for a running back disaster and meltdown, which is what the Giants had happen, and now the search for veteran help.

Coughlin may decide to go back to Wilson as the starter once the season really gets going, but for now, Wilson knows that he may need to sit in the doghouse for a little while longer.

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Andre Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Da'Rel Scott, David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Willis McGahee

10 Responses to “New York Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin Won’t Commit to David Wilson as Starting RB for Week 2”

1.  CT GIANT says:

With Hyno just getting his feet wet, the obvious need for a blocking back who knows Gilbrides idiot system, would point to Brandon Jacobs.
    The other thing he brings is a motivator with some life to this dismal offensive, some life.
    He should be in good shape and recently had a forty tape which I watched, he’s all into being a giant, period. How much production is anyone guess, but his blocking and catching some screens is at least fun, and he should have some impact with the young guys.
    CT GIANT

•  JimStoll says:

People have very short memories.
      Brandon was not an effective runner in either 2010 or 2011
      He was never a good pass receiver
      I am willing to bet that after the momentary feel good nostalgic moment of his return, Giant fans will quickly remember why no one was upset when he was not re-signed in 2012

•  JimStoll says:

I would also add that Brandon was never the healthiest of RBs
        I don’t think there was a single season between 2007 and 2011 where he played in every game
        plus, he has been on his couch all summer and didn’t play at all last year (as he was in Harbaugh’s ice box)
        how his body will respond to contact has to be an open question
        whether he’ll strain a hammie or groing right out of the bos is another

2.  GIANTT says:

Jim ,thanks for reminding me at least that BJ may. be past his sell by date and perhaps wasnt our favorite flavor . Sometimes the reason we look back fondly is familiarity . Then you start remembering the reasons for divorce in the first place

•  JimStoll says:

I just went back and looked at Brandon’s stats for 2007-2011 and they look a lot better than I remember his play reflecting
      I guess that’s support for the adage: “lies, damn lies, and statistics”
      in any event, I’ll stand by my assertion that whatever he was in 2008, he was far less by ’10 and ’11, clearly the second guy to Bradshaw (who always played with broken feet), and someone we were not sad to see leave from a performance standpoint when he was not re-signed in 2012

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Well yes, the production clearly went downhill by 2010. And I think it’s safe to say he’s way past his prime. But what bothered me most about BJ at the end was his attitude.

I know many on here loved his intensity and enthusiasm but to me it got out of hand towards the end of his tenure here. Whether it was throwing his helmet in the stands or calling an opposing coach a fat F-u.c-.k, it is extremely un professional. There is a fine line between being an intense competitor and just being a jerk and he was teetering on it. Not to mention whatever he did to get himself basically kicked off the 49ers last year.

I’ll always be a huge fan of BJ but I think his attitude was wearing thin towards the end here. If Willis looks healthy he’s the guy I’d cast my vote for.

Although truth be told the guy I really want back is Tiki!

•  GIANTT says:

Nosh , agree with you – EXCEPT FOR THE LAST LINE !

•  Nosh.0 says:

I know, still one of my favorite Giants for better or worse.

Last thing I’ll add about BJ, even though I just mentioned I didn’t care for his attitude his last year or 2, (I think it bordered on out of control). If he looks to be in good shape and better than McGahee, then I’d have no problem with the signing. And at the very least he knows how to pick up a blitz. Or in our OL’s case, a DL that gets through early.

•  JimStoll says:

seems crazy to sign him for that purpose
          every time he comes in its a pass play?
          we are predictable enough without that kind of telegraphing

but it seems clear that someone is going to be signed
          given that they appear not to want to sign Torraine, a guy who was here last season and all through camp, so he both knows the playbook and is in football shape, I think BJ is a real possibility

all of the other backs I believe were considered runners first; blockers…..?

and the health and age of all the rest has to be a serious question

4.  stuh says:

BJ No way, he never played a minute last year and was dumped at the end of the season.
    McGahee was good until he was injured and then the Bronco’s dumped him. So Michael Turner is out there and no one was jumping all over him.
    Stick with the young guys Scott did well and i don’t blame that last int on him him jumped on the grenade because he can’t blame it on Eli. But Eli could have waited 1 more second to see him make his move. Eli Threw that first int right into the defender while looking right at him. Then you hear some garbage that the blocker sent Ware in the wrong direction. if thats the case don’t throw the pass. WTF.
    Don’t give up on Wilson, he is too talented. Scott Blocked well and if he breaks free he is a threat to go all the way he is very fast.