September 10th, 2013 at 6:45 PM

The New York Giants made what we already knew official, announcing the signing of running back Brandon Jacobs to a one-year deal.

'Brandon Jacobs' photo (c) 2012, Zennie Abraham - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

“The Giants have given me a great opportunity. This is where I wanted to be. These are the coaches I want to play for and I wanted to come back with my teammates. This is the place I love most," Jacobs said via Giants.com

Asked what his role will be for Big Blue here in 2013, Jacobs said exactly what you'd expect him to say: "Whatever they need."

"Whatever role they want me to play, I’ll come in and do it," he added. "I know the offense. I know they’ve made some tweaks here and there, and I’ll do whatever I have to do. I look forward to teaming up with David and Cox and Da’Rel and Dre (Andre Brown) whenever he gets back and try to make everybody around us better. We want to be the group that leads the team to victory."

As far as what number he wears, Jacobs notes that he'll be reaching out to safety Stevie Brown, who is currently on Injured Reserve (IR) after tearing his ACL, to see what it will take to get No. 27 back. In the interim, he will wear No. 34 — Derrick Ward's old number.

And, finally, the bruising back said if the Giants need him on Sunday, he's ready for action.

“I’m ready to go,” Jacobs said. “If I need to go Sunday, I can go Sunday. There’s no issue. I’ll be really excited."

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown

27 Responses to “New York Giants’ Brandon Jacobs: “This is Where I Wanted to Be; This is the Place I Love Most””

1.  kujo says:

Repost:

You guys are insane.

The question isn’t David Wilson or Brandon Jacobs. And if it was, there’s not a sane person in the world who would argue that Jacobs, on this or any day, is the sort of running back that Wilson is.

No, the question is would you take Brandon Jacobs–the mean, loud, charismatic, tone-setting a**kicker who can pass-protect and give us a handful of positive carries each game–represents a better investment at the #2 RB spot than does Da’Rel Scot. And that answer is a RESOUNDING yes, the sort of thing choirs of angels proclaim on Christmas and Easter and sh*t.

This dude should never have left this team. Ditto for Bradshaw, by the way. Wilson is and should be #1, but you need to have your head examined if you think that Da’Rel Scot is a more worthy #2 back than Jacobs.

Welcome back, big dog.

•  William says:

Kujo: I respect everyone’s opinion and I’m not the type to dig into the archives to show someone up but I bet this post of yours will be seen again.
      BJ was done a while back and RB’s don’t improve with time. FACT.
      As far as Scott, my question is we know nothing of his abilities because he’s never been given a chance. How many reps did he get this training camp considering they were typing his name on the waiver wire right up until Browns xray. How many reps did he get last week?
      The guy played pretty good and the interception was not completely on him and even if it was you would cut him some slack considering his practice time. Other than that he did a pretty good job. No fumbles, decent running and blocked really well. Again we are talking about the #2 RB spot here; we all assume that Wilson still starts.

•  Krow says:

I echo your sentiments about past posts and threads. Few things are as annoying as seeing someone dredge up an old post. This is not a court of law. Think of is as a bar … you’re having a drink and discussing the Giants. If someone was taking notes for later you’d think they were very weird.

•  kujo says:

I have no problem with people using this or any post I make “against” me, provided I’m proven to be wrong. I’m not omniscient, nor do I claim any special insight. I shoot from the cuff and call it like I see it. Often (very often) I’m wrong, and I own up to it. But I feel strongly that Jacobs’ blocking ability and downhill running will be an asset to this team. I think he’s a better option than what we currently have and what else is out there for several reasons, not the least of which is his familiarity with our scheme, our QB and our coaches. He’s a known commodity that will be of great assistance to us in terms of his tangibles AND intangibles. But if I turn out wrong, so be it.

As for your bit about Scott, perhaps he didn’t get chances because he didn’t earn them because he sucked. The fact is that if Andre Brown doesn’t hurt his knee, Jacobs and Scott are both unemployed today. Fact. It’s not like Scott is some untapped talent. He’s been around for awhile now, and he’s shown diddly squat.

2.  William says:

To be effective he needs to run the ball, you cant just put him in and throw every time, teams will key on this. To say he will be in just for blocking purposes then why not just put a tackle in the game at RB or another TE every third down. He still needs to “run” the ball, its essential to the position and he was washed up in that area 2 years ago. That won’t stop us from trying but thats the part that should kill us all to watch. He’s old, slow off the mark and has no vision. Now if you give him a gaping hole and let him get up some steam he will run over a guy in the secondary. Unfortunately you are describing an o-line that we do not have.
    This guy will be a TC n KG security blanket and it will be to the detriment of the team and the rest of the younger backs. This is exactly why Bradshaw was cut from the team over very little money. Old, slowing down, injury prone and no vision combined with the knowledge by JR that this coaching staff would ride him anyway not allowing new guys to take over. Wilson’s fumbling is not getting fixed while BJ is on the field tripping over the line of scrimmage.

3.  kujo says:

The more relevant criticism is how Brandon Jacobs can POSSIBLY be familiar with the playbook, nearly 2 years after leaving this team. That’s not to say that he isn’t–I’m sure he is. But how is it that our offensive playbook hasn’t evolved after 2 years?

This is, of course, a rhetorical question, because we all know the answer. Kevin Gilbride is a boob of the nth degree. He’s terrible–he’s been terrible since before Demo popped his chocolate cherry (which is a LONGGGGG time ago).

•  Krow says:

This is my nagging fear … that as the NFL evolves (or devolves) we’re the dinosaurs. The oldest, most traditional team in the league. Doing the same old stuff the same old way … while it slowly becomes less and less effective.

•  Andiamo P says:

the entire league knows KGs offense.

•  Andiamo P says:

and on the flip side. Kiffin had the Cowboys showing more disguise pre snap than Fewell ever had the Giants doing.

Fewell really had me pumped up going into this season after the last 3 PS games. and he came out vs. Dallas and after the first few drives, promptly settled into a nice conservative game plan. I get that was by design, but I just thought his philosophy kinda changed.

I don’t credit his defensive play calling vs. Dallas, but i do credit the players. Webster, Ross, Patterson and Tuck played well.

Kiwi really only got free when JWill killed Doug Free. He should be demoted for Moore ASAP.

•  Andiamo P says:

and also…you can play conservative while showing a very aggressive front.

I don’t get showing a 4 man rush all the time and just bringing a 4 man rush. Show 5 or 6…and drop them back. Try to confuse someone.

•  kujo says:

Fewell is the worst defensive coordinator we’ve had in a long time. He’s worse than Tim Lewis and worse than Bill Sheridan. Those guys were bad and were fired after a year; this guy is TERRIBLE, and has been with us for, what, 4 years?

•  William says:

I’m shocked that no one on the site wasn’t as appalled as I was that the opposing QB is got bad ribs and is wincing in the mere act of throwing the ball and you don’t go full bore blitzing to knock him out???? Astounding in my opinion, especially when the back-up is Kyle “who else was shocked to see i’m still playing ” Orton.
            Before Al Davis lost a few marbles the guy understood the game, and the game is the QB must go down, baby. Its not the QB who is banged up gets to sit in a clean pocket while we play the safeties over the top and confuse the opposition by putting a DE in pass coverage.

•  kujo says:

We don’t blitz, dude. We just don’t do it, not with regularity. Fewell sends 3-4 rushers…max. And if we blitz a linebacker or a corner, you can bet that a DE is backing into coverage. It’s Fewell’s way, and it sucks monkey balls.

•  Andiamo P says:

and what I don’t get is that he’s not doubling anyone when he does that. A lot of times Ross or Webster just had Dez 1 on 1. TT had Austin a lot 1on1. Witten was generally wide open with the LBs being lost in zone coverage. So what’s the benefit? bring those LBs on a blitz, or make them Man Up.

Go back and look at the Witten TD on Mundy. Look at what Rolle was doing. He was standing in the endzone between Dez (covered by Webster) and Witten. All he did on that play was defend a patch of grass. His fault? Maybe, but can you blame a guy who is clearly concerned about Dez Bryant outside? I can’t. Either double Dez or Double Witten, but the Zone got his head spinning.

4.  Jared says:

Well, I thought Jacobs got short changed in SF. I hope he does well, or at least provide some extra protection for Manning.

5.  William says:

Since I’m ranting tonight lets add another of my head scratchers;at least this involves another team.
    NE Pats fear Amendola out this week…shocker right. How much did Welker want again?
    Brady goes into week 2 and has a receiving corp of players who were in diapers last month.
    I just don’t get the thing with Belichick and quality receivers and Brady??
    The one time he was given a true talent at the position (Randy Moss who was a project signing) they went undefeated and lose in the Superbowl. With all those draft picks how do they pass on moving up for a AJ Green or Julio Jones. Hell lets throw in Rueben Randle.
    The guy will go in the Hall of Fame without a HOF receiver connected to him in anyway outside the possibility of Welker getting in.
    Does he not respect Brady, (you ask the guy to take a pay cut but then let Welker walk, same with Deon Branch earlier in his career) or is it the opposite that he thinks Brady is so good that anyone thrown on the field will work out. Without Amendola’s presence they lose the Bills game for sure I can’t believe the talent level left with him out.

6.  rlhjr says:

Agree with Kujo BJac can help a lot. Think is he may be the wrong role model for Wilson in that Jacobs body type is not what Wilson is all about. Perhaps Jacobs can throw Wilson in a tub or ice water like JPP did Prince. “Wake up you little “ussy” and block. Jacobs will bring back the physical mind set. I think he helps Cox the most.

Also, don’t get it twisted. That whiff that Wilson threw Sunday night was not an indication of lack of blocking skill. That was an indication of distain for contact.
    And until he develops the “guts” to step into the chest of a DL/LB or DB Wilson can be nothing more than situational.

I’ll say it another way…..David Wilson’s heart pumps Kool-Aid. Or as we would say in school, the dude is scared to hit. Until he “de ussyfies” he needs to see the game from the side lines. Hell yeah he’s a potential weapon. But he’s a Giant running back. He needs to man up and block to stop being a liability.

7.  giankees says:

If everyone likes jacobs so much for the locker room hire him as a coach. Cause he was done 2 yrs ago. He gets touched at the line and goes down. I always felt he needed a big hole to thrive but what back doesnt thrive off of that. Jacobs is an imposing back to the second level. Thats not what we need here we needed a 1 yard guy to get us through to week 6. Im disapointed

8.  rlhjr says:

” Tim Lewis and worse than Bill Sheridan ” ???

Hell Fewell is worse than Ray Handley. That stupid SOB had LT and Carson playing read and react.

No doubt, the only member of the Giants with less balls than David Wilson is Perry Fewell.

9.  TheCatch says:

That little guy who emptied his piggy bank to get BJ not to leave the Giants must be one happy camper tonight.