September 10th, 2013 at 4:32 PM

The New York Giants were in need of a veteran running back who could pass protect and now they have one. A little over a year after being released and signing with the San Francisco 49ers, Brandon Jacobs will be reunited with Big Blue.

'Brandon Jacobs' photo (c) 2007, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Following what was deemed a "good workout" on Tuesday afternoon, coupled with a passed physical, the Giants opted to bring back their old friend who was originally drafted by the team in the fourth round of the 2005 NFL Draft.

Along with Jacobs, the team also worked out former Baltimore Ravens running back Willis McGahee and former New England Patriots running back George Winn.

Despite previous media reports, former New York Jets running back Joe McKnight did not workout for Big Blue.

While appearing on WFAN Tuesday morning, safety Antrel Rolle discussed what it would be like to have Jacobs back on the team.

“Brandon was a great Giant,” Rolle said. “I’d like to have him back but it’s not my call. I think he would bring balance to the run and the pass.”

The decision to sign Jacobs (one-year deal) was likely made not solely based on what he'd bring to the field, but his veteran leadership presence in the locker-room and what it would mean to David Wilson from a mentoring perspective.

It remains to be seen what number Jacobs will wear, but you have to assume he'll make a deal with safety Stevie Brown (Injured Reserve) to get No. 27 back. Or, perhaps, he could honor his good friend Ahmad Bradshaw by wearing No. 44.

Other Notes:

The Giants have released wide receiver Ramses Barden off of Injured Reserve (IR) with an injury settlement. The team also released wide receiver Marcus Harris from the Practice Squad and will likely re-sign defensive end Adewale Ojomo (who was released yesterday and is expected to clear wavers) to fill his place.

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Antrel Rolle, Brandon Jacobs, David Wilson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ramses Barden, Stevie Brown, Willis McGahee

48 Responses to “For Brandon Jacobs, You Can Go Home Again; Running Back Signs with New York Giants”

1 2 3
  1.  BigBlueGiant says:

Goat- The “early” line was Den -3, jumped to -4.5 3 minutes after.

2.  William says:

Would love to know if JR was really on board for this. The guy was done 2 years ago, RB’s do not get better with time. Yes, he can block on third down but TC and KG can not be trusted to use him in that limited role. Get ready for the lack of vision and the tip toeing thru the hole. Scott had way more upside if he was given more reps. Speed, youth and vision versus slow,old and blind.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, welcome back Brandon. Can’t say i wasn’t a fan when he was here… and i’ll root for him now, but i mean…. I’m just not too sure about this.

Last rodeo for the big guy … I wish him well … he was instrumental in a lot of good memories.

5.  NC Giant says:

I also don’t think this is what made the most sense…but I loved the intangible stuff BJ brought/brings! I would be remiss to say that I wasn’t having visions of him blowing up blitzing LB’s during the Dallas game. I still think Torrain was the better all around option but hopefully Coaches and Front office all signed off on this one.

He will also be a great mentor to DW. He will also be the candidate for the roster spot that gets dropped when Will Hill returns. Hopefully 3 weeks and DW will have his head on straight again? Wishful thinking.

anyone have an update on Baas?

6.  NC Giant says:

is it Sunday yet?

7. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Would have rather had McGahee.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Fumble problems. No familiar with playbook. No familiar with locker-room.

Giants don’t need a project, they need someone who can come in and know what he has to do; someone who immediately offers a respected leadership presence amongst his teammates.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

yeah but Willis been playing football all his life. Hand him the ball inside the 5 and he will score. He knows what a HB lead, Draw, stretch, toss, power run is.

I think it had to do with the MCL and broken leg he sustained last year more than his fumbles.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

He only scores if he doesn’t fumble and if the line blocks for him. But Jacobs’ value doesn’t just come on the field. He offers and commands unique respect in that locker-room that McGahee wouldn’t/couldn’t.

8.  William says:

If BJ is allowed on the field on first or second down outside being on the goaline this signing will be a disaster. Hate to be pessimistic but you know thats coming.

9.  JimStoll says:

as this evolved I resigned myself to this signing yesterday
    but I think in short order we will all be saying that was worthless
    I’ve got nothing against the guy
    I just don’t think he has anything to really give
    especially with an o-line that can’t open big holes or get an affirmative push across the LOS, how is Brandon suppose to be effective?
    he’s not explosive from a standing start
    he is not elusive
    he never had great vision
    and worse of all he’s not a power runner, especially not a short yardage power runner
    and if you look at his historic stats he average 3 fumbles per year

all that said, he’s back so we’ll root for him
    I just for the life of me I can’t understand how he was a better option than Torraine

I think Torrain was the better choice if familiarity was the concern. I think Jacobs is done but I did like what he brought to the table. My concern is he’s not a short yardage guy, can’t catch well or hit the hole quickly. He can pass block though and if that’s his main role then I can’t complain too much.

•  giantsfan says:

If Torrain is that good, how come he couldn’t beat out Scott?

At this point, I don’t know if Jacobs is better than Torrain. I don’t know if Jacobs will even play that much. I think the sole reason why he’s here is to mentor Wilson and provide veteran leadership, and occasionally carry the ball. I won’t expect him to get more than 4-5 carries a game, if even that many.

I don’t think he’s that good. I thought he did play better than Scott and I have been a Scott fan. But he’s not great. No RB on the street is great, there’s a reason why they are on the street. Veteran leadership? Maybe so. That’s not a bad idea if that’s the case.

•  stuh says:

Scott has a much bigger upside than Torrain who didn’t outplay him in the pre-season. BJ was a good pass blocker and Torrian was not,Scott is better.
          By the way don’t blame Scott for the loss to Dallas, He didn’t have that much practice with Eli and was never on the field with the 1st team, the timing was off.
          Jacobs has lousy hands. I assume they got him for the minimum.
          It will be interesting to see what the brain trust comes up with this week. If he gets playing time over Scott I think that will be a mistake.

1 2 3