Former New York Giants LB Michael Boley to Work Out for Cincinnati Bengals

September 9th, 2013 at 3:07 PM
By Doug Rush

Michael Boley has been without a job since the beginning of February after the New York Giants released him. On Monday, the outside linebacker has finally drawn his first interest from an NFL club in over seven months.

Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported that the Cincinnati Bengals will bring in Boley for a workout this week and could sign with the team considering the Bengals had only four players line up and play at linebacker on Sunday against the Chicago Bears.

"Former Giants and Falcons LB Michael Boley is heading to Cincinnati for a tryout, per source," he tweeted.

Boley is one of the more accomplished linebackers in the league that is still on the free agent market and was a big part of the Giants defense that won Super Bowl XLVI two seasons ago, but he's remained without a job due two injuries and his legal issues, which were brought to public in May.

Back in February, Boley was arrested in Alabama on child abuse charges and plead guilty to the charges, but they were dropped if he completed a diversion program to get him help. The Giants said that they did not know of Boley being arrested before they released him. There was some speculation in the offseason about a reunion between the Giants and Boley, but the news of his legal troubles, the Giants may have backed off and chose to go in other directions for linebacker help.

In the 2012 season, Boley had 91 total tackles and three interceptions with the Giants in all 16 games, but started in 11 of them due to nagging injuries. Boley was originally signed to a five-year, $25 million deal with the Giants back in 2009 and played in four seasons with them. Boley also played in four seasons with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with the Giants.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Cincinnati Bengals, Football, Michael Boley, New York, New York Giants, NFL

52 Responses to “Former New York Giants LB Michael Boley to Work Out for Cincinnati Bengals”

1.  Sintexo says:

So I’m a total noob when it comes to the ESPN fantasy system… but how does the waiver/add players work? Don’t really want to waste my #1 waiver already, but seeing as my flex player is out for the next few weeks, and my depth is awful I might have to.

I tried to add a player to my waiver list, but it says I need to make a roster change in order to allow for the addition, but all the “drop player” options have a big crossed out circle.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    September 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    This game reminds me a ton of the Tenn game in 2010. Bradshaw fumbled a few times and we turned the ball over like 5 times but still has a chance to win. I feel similar about this team as I did about the 2010. If we play clean ball we can beat anyone because we have an elite offense.

Way way too many people are giving up on Wilson too fast. He had a horrible game and was personally responsible for the loss. But it’s one game. He didn’t fumble in his last 15 game last year nor all preseason. I see it more as a good pitcher that got lit up one game. Or at least it makes since to give him more chances because our other options are worse. These vet backs are on the street for a reason. Maybe one can be an upgrade for Scott but we are not getting a game changer. Wilson can be a game changer and with our finesse OL we need a RB like Wilson to be successful.

Our vet CBs were very good. I thought Webster would bounce back but as a #2 CB. He did a GREAT job on Dez even if he had help. Thomas was good and Ross was solid.

JPP didn’t look like himself but I think he will be fine. It’s a combination of rust and conditioning. I agree our pass rush wasn’t where it needed to be. I expect Moore to be a huge help. He might be our most natural pass rusher even as a rookie. He’s got some Osi in him.

I don’t want Jacobs or Turner because I believe both are done. Torrain makes the most sense to add because he can help with short yardage, is in real football shape and knows the offense. I’m not a huge fan of his but the other options except for Dwyer and Wells aren’t better.

JimStoll says:
    September 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    I disagree with the assertion that we have an elite offense
    we have an extremely erratic offense with big play potential because of our QB and WRs
    but our O-Line stinks and right now so do our RBs
    we can’t run the ball a lick
    still can’t convert on 3d and 1
    still can’t convert in the red zone
    way too many 3 and outs
    the o-line we have now is worse than the one we had in 2010
    snee is worse now than he was then
    suebert when converted to center was better than baas
    Andrews was better at LT than either Beatty or Diehl
    McKenzie was better then than Pugh is right now
    Pugh by all rights will improve greatly as he learns on the job
    Beatty is good, not great
    but the interior of the line is pretty bad, even when baas returns and boothe slides back over to lg
    as long as the line is sub-par, the offense will remain erratic and far from elite

fanfor55years says:
    September 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    You’re not giving Beatty enough credit. He’s headed toward being one of the top guys around. He, Pugh, and Mosley are, IMO, going to be the core of the O-line by the time we get to 2015. But we need another strong draft or a free agency pickup who can become a stud on the inside, whether at guard or center, and we need at least ONE offensive lineman who can be relied upon to be a lead blocker who can give a runner creases into which to run.

I do, though, think this O-line will get a lot better when Baas returns and Hynoski is in better game shape. They need time to work together, and with Flaherty. Too early to grade them.

I’ve been consistently saying things would be raw until at least 3-4 weeks into the season. That goes for the O-line too. Hold your judgment in abeyance until you’ve seen more.

fanfor55years says:
    September 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    I’m not about to give up on Wilson but here’s the problem: those were called fumbles but what they really were was having the ball ripped out because he wasn’t strong enough to prevent that when he was stood up by the defense.

Fumbles are somewhat random. What happened to Wilson is not. He’ll have to not only tuck the ball better, but strengthen his arms and hands, which takes time. In the meantime he may have to allow himself to go down rather than fight for extra yards, because the whole league will have seen that you can get the ball away from him by force.

JimStoll says:
    September 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    not sure he was actually fighting for any yards
    both times he was hit right at the LOS
    but your point is taken
    you just can’t let someone strip you like that when your job is to carry the rock 15-20x a game
    I think TC will bench him this week in favor of Scott and then we shall see what happens from there

F55 – I agree that Wilson’s fumbles are more concerning because the reasons you mentioned. I’m not saying his fumbles will definitely go away. My point is that we need a bigger sample size. And considering the other RB choices in my view we have no choice but to give Wilson more chances as the #1 RB. I understand RB and QB are different but it’s not that much different in that we played through Eli’s struggles when he was young because he had great upside. Benching him yesterday was probably the right move. My point is that’s over with and going into the Denver game he should be used just as much as we were planning to use him versus Dallas. Should he have a fumble or miss blocks of course adjust the plan from there. But after one game his use doesn’t need to be changed.

Jim – I think what you’re missing is there’s a difference between elite and a offense without flaws. Our offense has flaws but with those flaws if Wilson is playing like he can we are still elite. Our OL is good enough. Like I have been saying for years we are a passing team and our run will come from being able to pass not vice versa. So things like 3rd and 1 we might not be able to convert regulary in a traditional way. But given our bookend OTs we should be able to pass block well enough to pass the ball well on running downs. And running will be more of a cross up. I know it’s not what people love as tru hardcore football fans but teams like with Peyton’s Colts have had great success with offenses that have our flaws.

•  JimStoll says:

Goat, where I depart is the assertion that our O-Line is good enough
        right now I think they are terrible as a unit
        while Eli does an incredible job of escaping pressure and putting up big plays week in, week out, it is in spite of, not because of the o-line
        the pressure that a scrub d-line put on us last night was sobering
        wait till we face a top flight d-line
        and when you can’t run and get those hard yards and possess the ball, you live and die with the big play
        sometimes we hit them and have a shot; many games we miss them and just get blown away

when I think of an elite offense, I think of one that consistently moves the ball and scores – we lack consistency

3.  William says:

Michael Boley as a free agent is stunning to me, I just assumed he had signed elsewhere. This just speaks volumes on how poor our LB corp has been for so many years that a guy like Boley, that I percieved as talented and our best LB last year ,is unable to find immediate work on any other team in the NFL.

Speaking of LB’s: considering how poor our interior LB’s are playing and will continue to play; I watched a lot of the Cards/Rams game and Karlos Dansby has plenty of tread left on his tires. Still can blitz and a good nose for the ball.Puts to shame Connor’s and Herzlich.Was his $ request that outrageous?

•  Andiamo P says:

Not so.

Boley was very very good in 2011.

but he was very bad in 2012…throw in a child abuse charge and there you have it.

You also have to consider scheme.

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

What was Murray doing on that play? First he lets Williams run clean at Free at knock him down then does a piss poor job blocking the end.

•  Andiamo P says:

As Giants fans I don’t think were allowed to ask what Murray was doing after Wilson’s performance.

4.  TroyThorne says:

The one thing that is most concerning to me (and it isn’t being talked about) is our failures inside the redzone…again. Failing to punch it in from the 1 inch line is just unacceptable and yet completely predictable from this team. How many games have we lost over the past few years because we’re the worst team inside the redzone (the Eagles game last year springs to mind immediately)?

How do we fix it? Maybe a vet RB is the answer but I don’t know.

•  Andiamo P says:

better play calling.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I was reading your post last night after the Mundy INT… i said the SAME thing you said to my friend right before I read it… “this will end up in 3 pts”

It’s deeply concerning.

also, someone said posted this last night as well about the giants offense that made me laugh… ‘Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, BOMB, TD”

5.  Dirt says:

I got a great idea guys:

Next week, in a game we’ll need to score a ton of points, let’s bench everyone who made multiple mistakes.

We’ll start with Hynoski, who whiffed on a block that led to a fumble, and dropped a pass when he was wide open. I mean, he’s a second year guy, the only way he’ll get the message is to sit next week.

Next is Snee and Brewer. Blew blocks all night. And in Snee’s case, had a couple of penalties. With him, after all these years, he should know better. Sit em both.

Cruz only dropped one ball, so he’s safe.

Eli threw one boneheaded INT, and we’ll give him half a turnover for the other two INTs. That puts him at 2 mistakes – sit him.

Scott sucks, but he only made one mistake – he plays.

That’ll teach em! And that’ll put the team in the best position to win! And that’s fair to the rest of the team who’s working so hard and not being in the best position to win!

6.  Dirt says:

In all seriousness, I don’t think Coughlin has ever treated a player like he has Wilson. Maybe I’ve spent too much time thinking about dumb sh|t in waiting rooms today, but maybe he’s not trying to send a message to Wilson, maybe he’s trying to send a message to Reese.

Like “I told you not to draft this guy. Try to override me again.”

Eli looked like Mark Sanchez early in his career. Did he ever sit? Any others?

If Wilson sits for a period of time, at the overall detriment of the team (because no one on this roster or the street will provide as much in the aggregate as Wilson), there’s something fishy going on.

•  Jackhajb says:

Wilson can fumble twice and then break one off for 50.
      Gotta let the kid play!

The areas and situations when Wilson fumbled made it worse. I don’t have a problem with TC sitting him for the rest of that game. That might be the punishment he needed. Plus he seemed emotional at the time and might have need to sit. Going forward I hope TC still treats him as our #1 RB with no questions. Allow him to make some non fumble mistakes but he needs to not whiff on so many blocks. TC has to toe a line with the kid because we need him but he made mistakes that are game changers the other way.

•  JimStoll says:

with wilson, it is not his fumbling I’m concerned with (remember, Tiki in the years 1999-2003 was simultaneously our best player and biggest fumbler), it is his apparent inability to gain tough yards with very little blocking
      I know it is a small sample size and I know no back can do much without a line, but given what we have for a line, I don’t think Wilson will be effective other than the occasional home run run
      last night he ran 7 times, had 2 fumbles which would have been no gainers if he had held the ball and 1 11 yard run
      I think he had 19 yards overall, so take out the 11 yard run and ignore the fumbles and that is 8 yards on 6 carries
      we need a banger as the lead runner; Wilson needs to be the guy who offers the change of pace unless and until he proves he can hit the small creases and make something out of nothing
      (how he does that if he’s not the lead guy is an interesting question)

•  Dirt says:

Adrian Peterson took his first run 80 yards yesterday, then took his next five for -10.

Barry Sanders would have broken a record for most yards in a season if you took the absolute value of the sum of yards gained on his negative plays throughout his career.

There’s a high standard deviation with some guys.

•  JimStoll says:

is Wilson Adrian Peterson already?

Your missing his point. His point is that both those runners even though they have a much thicker resume have been effective as hit and miss RBs. Wilson isn’t the type to always gain 3-5 yards. He’s the type to have 8 carries for 10 yards then break a run for 50 yards. And given our offensive line style and passing game I think his style is a good match for our offense.

•  Dirt says:

Clearly he’s not based on a super-relevant sample size of 9 carries.

7.  Dirt says:

Another funny observation:

As turnovers are piling up like wings on Antonio Pierce’s plate at the buffet, the announcers are always commenting that Coughlin is gonna have a heart attack.

A) he never does have a heart attack (on the sideline) anymore,

B) the Giants turn the ball over on the regular (Eli has never been a protector of the ball), and

C) they run a NASA-inspired offense that always puts thrown balls in harms way, in the general direction of young receivers that may or may not be on the same page as the thrower

Please do tell how Coughlin got this reputation of a guy who doesn’t tolerate turnovers (outside of Wilson).

8.  TroyThorne says:

Wilson is actually a very tough runner who goes through contact all the time. I remember you making this claim in preseason, Jim, and it’s just not true.

Also, can we all please stop with the revisionist history.

“If you take away all the good things he did then he didn’t do any good things!”

“If you take away all the bad things we did then we would have won!”

“If we were the only team in the league we’d go to the Super Bowl every year!”

•  Dirt says:

Yup. Kid was actually the only back who moved defenders backwards all preseason.

In college, kid piled up YAC like David Diehl piles up Smirnoff Ice empties before hoping behind the wheel in NYC

•  JimStoll says:

not sure what you guys are watching when it comes to Wilson
        no question he has electric speed but he’s never shown any serious tough running

9.  demo3356 says:

Dirt- I’m assuming most of the nonsense you are spewing is tongue and cheek. Coughlin like any other good coach does NOT tolerate RB’s that fumble. Wilson had a **** show night and to candy coat it any other way is straight phucktarded. After his initial fumble, the very next offensive play e]was a run with Wilson to keep his confidence up. He then wiffed on a couple of blocks getting Eli Crushed once. The second fumble was the final nail in hs coffin. He will not be benched long term, but this team is going to sign a vet back to help him carry the load and to be there to pick up slack when he phucks up again so our game is not in the hands of a 7th rd rookie with zero career starts in clutch time. Like I told everyone for the last week, this team will add a vet and they were always going to barring a 200 yard game from Wilson and Scott last night with zero blown pass protections. Lets settle down and keep the blame on the players that shittt the bed, not the coaches