In a 29-24 loss to the New York Giants a season ago, Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten set an NFL record at his position by hauling in 18 passes. In addition to setting the record for tight ends, it was also the third highest reception total in league history. And despite the win, that performance has haunted several Giants defensive backs, including veteran safety Antrel Rolle.
"He's done that one time since I've been here, had that miraculous game," Rolle said Wednesday. "That's not gonna happen again. I can assure that. He will not have 17, 18 catches a game. That's not gonna happen again."
Rolle stopped his guarantees there, but was emphatic about Witten and his record-setting performance never happening again. He felt it was a black eye on the defense and the Giants' franchise as a whole.
“It was a lot of one-on-one matchups and he was just beating the coverage and working off the leverage,” Rolle said. “It was all short passes, fours yard here, five yards here, but a catch is a catch. It’s definitely something we need to get better at. We’re going to have an answer for that this year for sure.”
Asked about that game and how they found success, a giddy Tony Romo refused to answer.
"I don't really want to answer that question. It's a good question, though," Romo said during a media conference call.
The Giants will meet the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium this Sunday night at 8:30 PM EST. Football is back!
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!Antrel Rolle, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Jason Witten, New York, New York Giants, NFL
- Antrel Rolle: New York Giants Need to “Put the Hammer Down” on Dallas Cowboys Again
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: All NFC East Quarterbacks are Elite
- New York Giants Safety Antrel Rolle: ‘There’s No Time for Letdowns’
- Antrel Rolle Would “Absolutely” Want Kenny Phillips Back with New York Giants
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle on Robert Griffin III: “He’s a Huge Playmaker in This League”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/107x