August 30th, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Although injuries to running back Andre Brown (broken leg), safety Tyler Sash (concussion) and tight end Adrien Robinson (foot) stole the show on Thursday night, other players came out of the 28-20 loss with some issues of their own. Among them was linebacker Dan Connor, who suffered a neck burner.

Neck burners (also known as stingers) are relatively common in the NFL and are caused by twisting of the neck or serious impact. Due to the compressing or pinching of the nerves, relatively serious acute pain can be felt from the neck all the way down to the fingers — it is sometimes accompanied by numbness. The effects generally last only a minute or two and do not often cause any long-term damage.

For Connor, this is his second neck burner in as many years, having previously suffered one last September when filling in for Sean Lee against, ironically enough, the New York Giants.

The larger impact of Connor's neck burner may be that he opened the door for Mark Herzlich, who played very well for the second consecutive game. The two have been engaged in a battle for the starting MLB spot since training camp began, and have each staked a claim to the job. However, if Connor's burner is at all serious, it could mean Herzlich starts against the Dallas Cowboys.

With an open locker-room on Friday, more information on all of the Giants' injuries will likely be made available.

photo credit: kevin813 via photopin cc

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Andre Brown, Dan Connor, Football, Mark Herzlich, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tyler Sash

79 Responses to “New York Giants’ Dan Connor Suffered Neck Burner in Loss to New England Patriots”

** Assume you’ve just read a long post about how the pre-season isn’t always a good predictor of the regular season … how plenty of teams get it together after a bad start … how in the NFL a team can get hot and run the table … and that no one should panic or expect a miserable year this early under any circumstances **

Now … having said all that … as a team we’ve pretty much sucked so far.

I could go into specifics, but others have done a fine job analyzing units and individuals. Yes, there are definitely bright spots in that regard. No question. I’m more concerned with how “the team” looks.

Right here and now they’re not playing good football. They seem tentative, unsure, and lack confidence. There’s no swagger. They don’t look like a self-assured contender. They don’t look like a team that expects to win.

The coaching staff reflects this as well. It’s all shaking their heads. Concerned faces. Obvious frustration.

The season starts at Dallas … then home to Denver … then 2 away games at Carolina and KC. Before the pre-season I would have said we’d be 3-1 after this stint. Now I’m not so sure. But no matter how you look at it, we need to fatten up early because the 2nd half is a lot worse than the first. A slow start would make for one hell of an uphill climb. We’ve got 10 days to right this ship.

I think you’re looking at a different schedule than me. We play 3 out of our first 4 on the road and our home game is Denver. If we go 3-1 there will be 13-3 type talk around here. The second half schedule this year looks easier than the first 6 games.

•  Krow says:

Ummmm … I think schedule-wise we’re saying the same thing. But do you really think that Dal-Den-Car-KC-Phi-Chi is tougher than Dal-Was-SD-Sea-Det-Was ?

Aand why would 3-1 to start be such an unexpected triumph? We’re undefeated at Jerrahworld, KC and Car stink.

Yes I do. Home and road does mean something for other teams even if it doesn’t usually for us. I don’t agree that KC and Car stink. Actually, I think SD sticks. But looking at those stretches at least I can see them as comparable.

I think going 57 days without getting on a plane between after the Chicago game and before SD is a huge advantage.

•  Krow says:

KC was 2-14 last year. If that doesn’t stink then I don’t know what does.

They had poor coaching and many injuries plus a new QB. They had 6 probowlers. They weren’t your normal 2-14 team in terms of talent. Look at their roster, especially on defense. I take KC over SD without hesitation.

Interesting. But I thought a burner wasn’t serious and with this many days before a game wouldn’t Conner be ready?

If this puts Conner in any danger for week 1 Bozworth might have just cemented a spot on the team. I have been thinking a lot about carrying 6 DEs that’s along with 5 DTs simply because they are out best players. Plus guys like Tracy and Moore play special teams much like LBs would anyways.

Herzlich has clearly outplayed Connor the past few weeks. It started out the opposite way. Connor cannot get to the edges of the field fast enough to be much help. Anyone who turns the corner of the defense is able to outrun him even when Connor has something of an angle.

Herzlich may not be a great player, but he’s our best bet as a MIKE at this point.

•  Krow says:

Agreed. It’s now Herzlich’s job to lose. He’s had the better pre-season IMHO. He also may have a higher ceiling.

Interesting. While Herzlich did play better the last 2 weeks it’s not apples to apple because he played against backups. Conner worries me against the pass and getting to the edges. But Herzlich worries me because he’s yet to play well against NFL starters. The Philly game last year they were playing a backup quality OL. And this year so far he’s only been good against backups. I hope it just took Herzlich time to get his feet wet against live bullets but I’m not so sure. But I do trust him as the QB of the defense much more than Conner and maybe that ends up giving him the edge.

•  Krow says:

Neither will make us forget Harry Carson. It’s a battle of two rather average NFL slow white guys.

Heck, I’m not sure either will make us forget Chase Blackburn.

BUT, Herzlich looks like he’s making better reads now so maybe he just needed playing time. These are the guys we’ve got so crying about it does no good. Let’s hope that the coaches’ confidence they had in Herzlich last year (remember the comments about how it was great that Mark was learning from Blackburn because he was going to be a fine MLB for a lot of years?) was not totally misplaced.

Any thoughts that we could stop worrying about linebackers because we’d be going a lot with three-safety looks are now out the window because we may not have three safeties worthy of the name until Hill returns. We have Rolle (terrific player), Mundy (good hitter, but ideally the third safety, not the clear #2) and ??????? And GOAT, get outta here with that Taylor stuff. Right now he belongs on the practice team, maybe on the special teams, but he’s a LONG way from being ready to be the last line of defense. As he so amply demonstrated last night (which was no surprise to me as I’ve been telling you that for weeks). If Sash is our third best safety then I don’t want to see many three safety looks until Will Hill is one of them.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Bosworth, Herzlich and Rivers have been the best LB’s on the field for us. Paysinger, Connor, Williams all stunk last night.

Also, totally agree on Taylor. He looked like he’s never played football in his life before.

I didn’t think we were going to see much of the 3 safety look after Brown went down.

Taylor made a horrible play as did Thomas. But both played well other than those plays. Taylor played 32 snaps. He’s not a free safety or a replacement for KP. He’s an in the box safety or at least he should be for now. He won’t be on PS. He’s the 4th safety. It’s just a matter of if Sash or someone else not here is our 3rd safety. We probably can’t afford to hold a roster spot for a non healthy player of Sash’s level.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

What game were you watching? He was constantly out of position worried if he was going to get burned over the top on EVERY PLAY. He took terrible angles on a few tackles, and just didn’t have the hacks. Maybe in due time, but Taylor clearly isn’t ready for this league just yet.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Goat, Honestly… before last night, have you ever seen Cooper Taylor play?

I can honestly say that I haven’t. But I can tell you this, He looked like he’s never put on a uniform before.

Robinson’s X-rays were negative, but he was sporting a walking boot and was on crutches, with a MRI scheduled for Friday afternoon.

“It doesn’t hurt that bad,” Robinson said after the game. “They just want to be careful with it. I don’t think it’s that serious. I’ve never had a foot injury, but I usually heal pretty quickly and it’s not broken.”

Brown is probably looking at a 4-6 week recovery period, which puts the Giants in a bind. They may not be able to just simply carry him on the roster for that long. They have too many other players that won’t be ready for the beginning of the season as it is.

•  Krow says:

Short term PUP.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

He’s yet to have an MRI or additional tests. It sounds good, but it’s far too early to put a timetable on his return until we hear results of the test(s).

•  Krow says:

Even if it turned out to be 6 weeks, it’s not like they saw off the cast and you run out on the football field. He’ll have at least a couple weeks minimum of heavy rehab to get his strength and flexibility back.

I think short term IR is still most likely unless the news is really good. We need that roster spot. We are already carrying Diehl and Bass. But the one thing about short term IR is that can’t be used until after we get down to 53. So Borwn will have to be on the 53 man roster even if we short term IR him.

On the 53 man roster initially. So for example we would have to cut a Scott or Torrain and re-sign them a few days later.

I surprised to see a time table. I was wondering if it was a guess or breaking news.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, that was ugly.

our defense might have actually won Tebow a job!

Goat- I honestly think I could have played better safety than Cooper Taylor last night. He will be on PS.

This offense and defense better magically get their act together or else we really might be in for a long one. Yeah, that last drive by our starters was nice to see, but it was against the Pats 2nd team. I’m still concerned.

JJ, 1 catch for 6 yds. How do you honestly give this guy a job? He can’t get open against 2nd team players?

Our LB’s are such a liability it’s really hard to imagine a gameplay against our team that will not exploit them on just about every play. It’s very worrisome.

Tough break for Andre Brown, lesson Learned TC. good thing there’s some decent RB’s that can fill his shoe’s in. My vote is for Mcgahee. The reason why, is that the kid scores inside the red zone. He’s ALWAYS had a nose for TD’s. And it’s been a problem for this team when down there.

Tell me, why’d we trade for Nassib? BC Mayock said he was good? Lesson learned. He needs A LOT of time.

I did like the way Adrian Tracy has played. I think he did enough to earn a job and possibly get some PT. I might have to take back the awful things i said about him. He might be suitable.

keep 6 Dt’s. they’re all worthy of spots.

Taylor made the same type of horrible play that Thomas did. I understand it was against Tebow but both plays are one play and their whole game shouldn’t be judged on that one. I don’t hear anyone talking about Thomas. I thought besides that play Taylor looked fine. He’s not a solution to our safeties right now but PS means he gone forever and JR made an investment with the kid.

So to match your logic we are going to keep Barden at WR because he’s shown to be healthy? And don’t give me any of those kid WRs because none of them is even as good as Steinback was last year. With the QB play assuming JJ wasn’t open because he didn’t get the ball is wrong.

Nassib barely gets any practice reps or preseason time but he’s expect to be good right away. Maybe he wasn’t given our system but we surely didn’t give him the time that would have allowed him to grow more this preseason. I don’t who decided on that stupid rotating QB stuff last night.

You just can’t use 6 DTs. They don’t play special teams in the coverage units. It is a waste. You really don’t need 5, we are keeping 5 because of the quality but at some point you have to cut it off.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Stop making excuses for Cooper and Nassib. They both were $hit.

Nassib clearly isn’t ready or else he’d get F’ing reps. Enough said.

And it’s not that one play against Taylor, I was singling him out all game… He was constantly out of position, played too deep bc he was afraid of getting beat over the top, took bad angles on tackles… Basically i saw a guy who is very athletic but will benefit more form being on the practice squad at this stage of his career.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Also, we are keeping Barden because he’s actually BETTER than JJ.

sorry. #truth, #fact #life.

Barden doesn’t do much for me. I had hopes but seeing him play he’sa JAG if that. JJ hasn’t shown that much either but he also hasn’t gotten that many chances – this is only his 3rd year, not his 5th. There’s still some hope for him. And JJ can actually do something after he catches the ball. Barden is a complete dud in special teams. If we cut Barden and if we need him later he will be around.

Ok in a perfect word maybe Taylor goes to PS because he learns this year and ca really help us next year. But PS means you initially cut the player and even on PS any team can sign him. He’s too athletically talent for a team even if not right away to try to sign him once injuries hit someones safeties. He will not last on PS. So when you say PS you really mean ending his time as a Giant.

Same with Nassib. Look at the teams in need of a QB. We are not the only team that like him. Now he’s on waivers and doesn’t even require a draft pick. Come on some team will take their chances. PS is not just about who deserves to be there it’s also about who you think you can keep there.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Was Aaron Curry too athletically talented for us to cut?

Athletic talent is one thing. Being able to play and play well at this level is another. based on what other teams have on Cooper Taylor last night, Since it’s pretty much some of the only film they have on him, he’s not going anywhere.

Same with Nassib.

Curry played 4 years. If Curry was 22 and a rookie he would have been kept. He proved he couldn’t play. Robinson was kept for many of the same reasons last year though he wasn’t ready. A talented rookie that struggles is completely different than a vet. While I had hopes for Curry I didn’t blink and eye if he was cut because his job was to now show he could play and he didn’t. Our brass gives players chances to fail and not make the snap judgments. When we cut a player it’s usually over for that player.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I think you’re really missing the point. Point is, Taylor simply isn’t ready yet.

You’re missing the point. It doen’t matter if they are not ready. The idea is how good do you think he might be. Guys that you think can contribute to your 53 but not be great you put on PS. That’s because if they are signed away while you wanted to keep them it’s not a big deal. That’s why Douglass was put on PS but Ojomo was kept last year. They didn’t think Ojomo could contribute but they saw enough promise that they couldn’t risk him on the PS. Not every one on your roster has to be ready. Taylor can play special teams but he probably won’t be active for the first part of the year.

They may have to put Brown on IR after keeping him on the 53-man roster, take a HUGE chance by going with only two running backs against Dallas (in combination with a game plan that hopefully recognizes that they might have to be creative if one of them gets hurt in that game) and then sign someone to a non-guaranteed contract immediately thereafter (Turner is my candidate).

McGahee is my second choice. I love BJ, but he’s probably done.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

+1. read my above post regarding Mcgahee. The kid scores TD’s inside the 5 yd line.

The question about McGahee is health. Turner I just think is done like BJ. It also depends what we are looking for. 3rd down RB? Short yardage RB? A #2 RB to Wilson?

8.  Dirt says:

TOGM, demo, et al,

I’m not necessarily proposing Wilson get 30-35 rushes a game (although he is young!). What I am saying is that I hate seeing him cast as the “1st and 2nd down back who plays between the 20s”. It only adds to the predicatibility of this offense.

He absolutely needs to be the short yardage back throughout the game. He absolutely needs to be the 3rd down back throughout the game. If you want to put him on a pitch count, that’s fine. But let’s not telegraph what we’re doing by limiting his pitches by taking him out in specific scenarios.

For the second time in four years we’ve wound up very thin at safety while presumably knowing that we do not have a great set of linebackers. Really, we went into camp with three legitimate NFL safeties (the team knew about the Hill suspension a long time ago), and one was soon hurt and won’t play this season. The depth behind them is garbage.

It’s hard not to point a finger at Jerry Reese. He’s no doubt a really top GM, but how do you allow this situation again? There’s also not real depth at wide receiver, another problem that killed our playoff chances as recently as 2010.

Forget the linebacker position. We’re going to have to make do. But we have way too much talent on the defensive front than we’ll be able to keep. If I’m Reese I’m looking very hard to get a quality safety in exchange for one of my excess defensive linemen. We need a really good, deep set of safeties to not only be the last line of defense, but available to come up fast to help stop the run since we may not get much run-stopping from our linebackers. Yes, our defensive tackles are far, far better than we had last season, and will really make a difference. But they cannot stop the run on their own. And we need a lot more than Rolle and Mundy available for the first quarter of the season. Even when Hill returns (assuming he does because he steered clear of trouble), he’s only a second year player so still learning a tough position. We need more than we have.

•  Hanshi says:

I agree but I think early on, Mundy and Hill we going to be that depth. Now with Brown out and Hill stupid we’re not in good shape.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I mean, while I agree with you, i really think that any team that really wants to expose this defense will just target our LB’s. Point was Last night, The Leon Washington play, or any play that our Lb’s needed to cover the RB or TE or any receiver over the middle. It’s a real Liability.

You’re right, but getting a quality group of safeties helps in that regard, and as far as a trade, we’re FAR more likely to be able to identify a good safety who won’t make a team’s starting lineup (there are a lot of excellent #3 safeties in the league) than we are to identify a quality linebacker who could really help. That’s why I’m saying trade for a safety.

By the way, thank God for Louis Murphy, who looks like he will make some noise this season. I don’t know what everyone was talking about in regard to Randle but he sure hasn’t looked like he made that huge “jump” that the team has been claiming since camp opened. He looks a bit lost and a bit lazy. No doubt the talent is there, but he reminds me a lot in these preseason games of the guy we saw last year: a lot of potential but still needs time to develop.