Veteran defensive back Will Blackmon was released by the Seattle Seahawks on Tuesday, but it wasn't long before a handful of other teams came calling. Included among them, reports The Record's Art Stapleton, was Blackmon's former team, the New York Giants.
Originally drafted in the fourth-round of the 2006 NFL Draft, Blackmon spent the first five years of his career with the Green Bay Packers before signing with the Giants as an unrestricted free agent in 2010.
In his two seasons with the Giants, Blackmon played in 11 games as a reserve and on special teams. He collected eight tackles, returned 20 punts for 119 yards and 15 kickoffs for 281 yards. In 2011, he was a part of the Super Bowl XLVI championship team.
Following the 2011 season, Blackmon was released and went unsigned. He eventually landed with the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League before finding his way back to the NFL by way of the Seahawks.
Reports out of Seattle are that Blackmon had an excellent preseason, but the decision to release him simply came down to a numbers game. The team attempted to trade him first, but knowing he would be cut, there were no takers.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Looking for 2013 NFL Draft news? Follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter and like On The Clock 101 on Facebook
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Win 2 free VIP tickets to the Gotham City Cheerleaders' 2013-2014 calendar premiere party on September 6th.
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!
Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks, Will Blackmon
- Aaron Curry Released by New York Giants
- Josh Cribbs, an Interest of New York Giants During Offseason, Released by Oakland Raiders
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/zqy