August 26th, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Late last week, head coach Tom Coughlin said the remaining players on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list were "getting close" to being activated. He wasn't wrong. The New York Giants on Monday announced that they have activated defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul from the PUP list.

Although neither JPP or the team would commit to him playing week one against the Dallas Cowboys, he will take part in individual drills beginning today with the hope being that he returns to full practice sometime next week. However, regardless of how far he comes in that time, he will not play in the final preseason game against the New England Patriots on Thursday night.

JPP also noted that it was his decision to come off of the PUP list, and while he acknowledges continued soreness, he says the pain in his back has completely subsided.

"I don't have pain … That pain is gone," JPP said. "You will see me out there with the team [today]."

Pierre-Paul originally underwent a microdiscetomy to pepair herniated disc in his back in early June after it was determined that rest and rehab would not alleviate the issue.

Meanwhile, defensive tackle Markus Kuhn (knee) remains the sole player on PUP.

Photo credit: Mike Morbeck / Foter / CC BY-SA

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Markus Kuhn, New York, New York Giants, NFL

23 Responses to “New York Giants Activate Jason Pierre-Paul from Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List”

1.  JimStoll says:

let’s hope this is the beginning of good news!

The last preseason game is only worth watching for us die hard fans for a few reasons:

1) Cooper Taylor – he just returned to practice last week. He’s not going to be the starter or even 3rd safety to begin the year but can he be the 4th safety. He should play a lot with Caldwell. We know what Sash can and can’t do but we need to see the young guys. Taylor drew a lot of positive reviews early so seeing him out there at safety and on teams should be interesting.

2) Nassib – I feel like every snap Painter has taken was just just a wasted rep that Nassib could have received. I understand challenging Carr but Painter never should have been given the chance. There are better QBs sitting on their sofas. In this game Nassib should get more playing time, hopefully a half.

3) The CBs. TT, James, Frederick and McBride are have legit roster shots. TT’s spot is locked up if he leaves the game healthy. But I wonder if he gets some game time safety looks. The other 3 CBs I feel are fighting for 1 spot if we keep a 10th DB. James is a lock to make the roster or PS. Frederick probably to same. McBride has played well, I just question keeping a vet like him our the young kids if the kids are close. But with the kids being PS eligible McBride has a shot.

4) The continued growth of Austin. So many have focused on if Austin is better than Patterson or Rodgers that I think they are missing Austin growing into a real contributor as an NFL player. I don’t see how he doesn’t make the team if healthy with his play the first 3 weeks. Austin looks to be improving every game.

5) Donnell – I think he can do the unthinkable and knock Pascoe off the roster. For years I have been trying to get Pascoe off the roster but that was my mistake because that’s not what the coaches want. The only way to knock Pascoe off the roster is for a player like Donnell to make himself to valuable to cut at try to stash on the PS. From what I have seen thus far in preseason I don’t think Donnell lasts the season on PS. Donnell looks like a threat and while I like Robinson better, Donnell is not far behind. I say all of this but Hynoski has to be ready to start for Pascoe to not make the roster, at least I think. We cut Ware who was our 3rd down back last year so who knows. With the other FB and TEs cut I looks for Donnell to get serious snaps at FB.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

1. Cooper Taylor will be on the practice squad.

2. Nassib should get his shot.

3. I’d like to see TT moved to Safety. It would allow McBride a spot on this roster. And i think we might see it happen.

4. Marvin Austin has played himself onto this team. Well done.

5. Donnell should very well take the place of Pascoe. He’s much better at this point. But i dont make these decisions.

also might I add…

I still think JJ gets axed. And we carry less WR’s this year and an extra DT instead.

1) The Giants don’t PS a draft pick with Taylor’s profile. McCant’s last year was HORRIBLE in preseason that’s why he was put on PS. Taylor will either be on the 53 or IR. I thought there was a good shot at IR until Brown’s injury. With Hill out the first 4 games keeping Taylor as the 4th safety makes sense. Taylor is healthy much like Cox should be a natural on special teams.

I can agree that JJ hasn’t done much to impress this preseason. But who has? To me the WRs have been horrible as a group after the top 4. I haven’t been impressed with Barden or any of the young kids. The way it’s turned out I think Adams had a real shot for a roster spot if he didn’t get hurt. I think we only keep 5 WRs. So with nothing great to look at I don’t see any reason why the Giants would keep a draft pick and see if he can do something. Unfortunately this is like the opposite of DT when we have too many good choices (Okam would have made our team last year).

•  BigBlueGiant says:

dont be so sure on your boy Cooper. He’s not worthy of a roster spot as of now. And you can’t IR someone who isn’t hurt. And I think moving Ross or Thomas to safety will provide them with the backup they need.

Barden has proved to be the better player than JJ. Barden at least can catch the ball and is a bigger target. I think you’ll see Murphy get more reps in the slot and JJ will be no longer.

My point is neither were guys like Robinson, Mosley, Scott, etc. To get a player to PS means you have to cut them. Drafted players with high talent level even if raw are usually not chanced by cutting them and then to PS. The idea with players like Robinson and Taylor are to develop them.

I understand that Taylor might not even end up being the 4th safety as far as playing in the starting defense. But he has the profile to be kept as a backup just for special teams.

I Barden was horrible in the last game he played. He doesn’t run his pattern long enough on 3rd down and then is too soft to draft a much smaller defender a few feet to get the first down. Then Eli throws a fade for him and he trips over himself. At least if JJ catches the ball he can do something. But I can see that as a reasonable debate.

The thing is with this 53 is not about keeping the best 53 today. That’s why I’m confident Austin, Taylor and Jernigan will be on the roster. Draft status and upside play a huge role as well. Barden and JJ is not an even fight, Barden has to outplay him by a decent amount because JJ still has 2 more years under control. Barden is not under his rookie deal anymore.

3.  demo3356 says:

Great news on JPP!

This means JPP’s playing versus Dallas of course barring a setback. I was going to say he had to be activated soon to get enough practice in to be ready. In some ways playing without our 2nd best player has been understated here. The way the DL played with out him I have hope that the DL will be dominating.

5.  norm says:

In a season that was filled with disappointments, the play of JPP last year was, for me, the biggest.

Following his otherworldly sophomore campaign I expected some serious “next-level” play from him going into 2012. I know I wasn;t alone. To say that I was mystified by his chronic inability to beat JAG linemen in one-on-one matchups throughout the season would be an understatement.

It wasn’t until the offseason that we learned the extent to which back pain had limited JPP’s game. So he deserves a mulligan for his 2012 season. Which, in turn, means that my expectations for him in 2013 are once again through the roof. I’m excited to see what kind of havoc a pain-free JPP can wreak on opposing offenses this year.

•  Aziz Mohamed says:

He was still amazing vs the run and did get double teamed/chipped alot. Although like you said, when he had his chances 1 on 1 he wasn’t as dominating as he was in 2011. Hopefully it really was his back that held his game back and not other variables. We’ll need him to be just as good if not better than he was in 2011. He single handedly won us that 2nd Cowboys game.

re-post:

fanfor55years says:
    August 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Okay, I’m going to disagree about how awful this O-line and the blocking on offense in general is going to be this season.

Given the progression of Beatty and what we’ve seen so far from Pugh (amazing to me that he has done so consistently well so far) we have an excellent set of tackles. Snee is not what he once was, and he’ll never again be very mobile, but he’s still a perfectly good guard who could play for just about any team as their starter. Baas, when he returns, may not be great, but he’s as good as was O’Hara when the O-line was considered the best in the NFL in 2008. Boothe is at least average.

And add the fullback (Hynoski, who is a brute and has learned how to get himself deep into the crease and seal it) and at least two BIG tight ends (Robinson and Donnell, or Pascoe, and even Myers can become an adequate blocker at his size) and I think the overall blocking will be fine.

I have concerns about depth. We really need Brewer and Mosley to step up, and Cordle to look better against defensive tackles who aren’t quite as aggressive as Wilkerson. But I think the O-line will be at least “okay” and that will be good enough once Eli hits his stride and all of his receivers are healthy.

•  Krow says:

They’ll be decent pass blockers … and perhaps even able to execute clever trap plays for the run. But they lack any semblance of power. They can’t knock anyone off the line. They need a proverbial road grader at OG. Otherwise our short yardage woes will continue. And any team willing to stack the LOS will stuff our run game.

•  stuh says:

Baas can’t smell O’Hara jock and he is hurt a lot. Cordle looked real bad. Brewer loked OK to me although from TV you can’t see everything. We need the Starters pn the line healthy or at least get the backups playing well enough to give Eli time and open holes for the running game.
        The biggest problem is the schemes on short yardage and inside the 10. Eli has not looked good this pre season. Maybe he isn’t pumped up yet. I hope he still had way too many ints last year. This team is playing on the 2 Super Bowls other than that they have been mediocre at best.

If Baas gets healthy you will have to eat those words. He’s a better athlete than was O’Hara, and he’s pretty bright. I loved O’Hara, but past a certain point it was his brains that kept him around, certainly not his brawn.

I like our starters plus Brewer and Mosley. I think if we would stick to a combination of those players this season we will be fine.

I don’t have confidence in Diehl but I don’t think there’s a better 8th or 9th player on the OL to not keep him on the roster. I don’t think we would consider cutting him but neither would I if it was up to me.

The season is over! 0-16! Giants stink! Get off the bridge, people

Remember how awful the 2011 preseason was for the Giants? Wide receiver Steve Smith and tight end Kevin Boss both unexpectedly bolted the team via free agency. Terrell Thomas suffered a knee injury that cost him the first of two straight seasons. The Giants cut ties with starting offensive linemen Shaun O’Hara and Rich Seubert, leaving huge question marks about that group. Osi Umenyiora missed virtually half the season with injuries.

… and I don’t want Braylon Edwards.

10.  stuh says:

We don’t need Edwards and also picking up free agents who have been dropped by multiple teams doesn’t say much for our drafting.