New York Giants FB Henry Hynoski Activated from PUP List; Returns to Practice

August 22nd, 2013 at 11:35 AM
By Doug Rush

Three months ago to the day, Henry Hynoski was being carted off the field on the very first day of New York Giants OTA's in what appeared to be a very serious knee injury. Hynoski had to have surgery to repair the MCL in his knee, and his status for the start of the regular season was in serious doubt.

Hynoski always vowed to the fans and to himself that he would work extremely hard to be back for the team's regular season opener on September 8 against the Dallas Cowboys. On Thursday, Hynoski has taken a gigantic step to having that happen.

Three months later to the date of the initial knee injury where he banged knees with Andre Brown, Hynoski has passed his physical with the team and is officially activated off the physically unable to perform (PUP) list and is eligible to practice with the team starting on Thursday, as Michael Eisen of Giants.com has reported.

The Giants were a little skeptical of Hynoski being ready to start the season, which is why they pursued then-free agent fullback Vonta Leach after he was released by the Baltimore Ravens, but Leach decided to re-sign with the Ravens last month. The Giants were heavily in the mix for Leach's services, but he was looking for more guaranteed money in a deal, which Baltimore was willing to offer, as the Giants could only offer him a veteran's minimum deal due to the limited amount of salary cap space.

Despite losing out on Leach, Hynoski's return to the team has to be very exciting news for the team, as he can use the next three weeks to get back into football-playing shape and prepare for that opening night game against the Cowboys next month.

With Hynoski coming off the kind of injury he had, it's unlikely that he will be playing this Saturday against the New York Jets in the Giants third preseason game, and it's very possible that he doesn't play in the final preseason game next week either against the New England Patriots, especially since he was just activated off the PUP List.

But even if Hynoski doesn't play in the final two games of the summer, Giants fans everywhere should be excited for the fact that one of the league's better fullbacks will be back on the field for the team and will only help make the offense an even better one.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

You can meet Doc Gooden! Sports Fan Promotions is providing fans with an opportunity to meet legendary New York Yankees and New York Mets pitcher Doc Gooden on Thursday, August 22 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. The event is being held at Locker Room Sports, 76 Main St. in Woodbridge, NJ 07095. Autographs are just $25 for any item, with inscriptions for $10!

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrityoffers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Fantasy sports should be fun, but you still need to satisfy your competitive drive. Whether you're tired of being locked into the same team for the entire season, need some extra action or you're a casual fan looking to test the waters, FightClub can supply your fantasy fix. Matchup with other fans or maybe even the Sports Media 101 experts for a chance to make some extra money. Can you handle FightClub?

Tags: Football, Henry Hynoski, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Vonta Leach

34 Responses to “New York Giants FB Henry Hynoski Activated from PUP List; Returns to Practice”

With Hynoski off of PUP I wonder if my “favorite” player is in any roster danger. Pascoe was a lock with Hynoski not healthy but with him returning and The progress of both Robinson and Donnell is it possible? The real reason for hope is Donnell getting FB snaps, to me Pascoe’s greatest value has been versatility. If we can replace his versatility with more talent then it’s possible he’s gone. There’s no way a Pascoe type would be replaced with a rookie. But both Robinson and Donnell have been in the system a year. Pascoe vs Donnell reminds of Ware vs Brown last year. I expected us to keep Ware because he’s the type of player who’s experienced in our system we like to keep but with Brown being back int he system for a year on PS the coaches felt comfortable enough to go with Brown. I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened here.

•  Krow says:

Pascoe is one of those marginal players with the great attitude. But that makes him very vulnerable to those with actual talent.

One day soon he’ll be telling his friends about his days in the NFL. Entertaining them with tales of epic battles and a Superbowl … over beers and a burger while they wait for their tee off time.

Ware and Blackburn were similar players. We kept around both for year but did eventually cut them. We did bring back Blackburn later that year but the point is that we don’t always keep those guys. The decision is probably more how they feel about Donnell than Pascoe. They don’t wan to get rid of Pascoe, if we cut Pascoe it’s all about finding a way to keep Donnell.

Demo – I agree with your roster locks almost 100%. The only lock I disagree with is Pascoe and that’s only because Hynoski is being activated from PUP earlier than I expected. Hynoski could even possibly play in the 4th preseason game is probably now a lock to play vs Dallas. I think Donnell intrigues the coaches and has a decent chance to knock him off the roster. Not saying Pascoe isn’t the favorite but there is at least some question.

•  demo3356 says:

I would love nothing more than seeing Big Stiff Pascoe get bounced, but he seems to be the versatile type our coaching staff loves. I think he makes it due to Hyno’s knee concerns and no other full back in sight

You cannot discount that Pascoe has “done it”. He came up big in a few huge games, including the 2011 Super Bowl. Coaches never discount that kind of thing. Donnell would have to really outplay him by an obvious margin to get Pascoe off the roster.

So did Ware but we kept Brown over him last year. Remember we did that when Ware was our only proven 3rd down RB among reserve RBs. Of course Donnell has to be better but I’m not sure it has to be wide. Donnell is a player with upside that will continue to get better.

I think a big factor in this equation is Robinson has to be considered the second TE. I’m not sure that he is but cutting Pascoe who’e the 3rd Te and backup FB is different than cutting him as second TE.

But Ware was old while Bear is not. I see your point but I don’t think this is comparable. I happen to trust Pascoe a lot for the same reason I suspect the coaches do: because he has made some big plays at big moments in big games. I think Donnell probably has more upside, but I can see him headed back to the practice squad again.

I suspect Robinson is considered the second TE on the depth chart now, but I also suspect it’s a close call. I hope he’s it, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Ware is 28 now, he was 27 when we cut him. He’s not Bradshaw with a lot of miles on his tires so age wasn’t a reason. Pascoe is 27. Similar players and paths in my view. Still not likely Pascoe is cut but I wouldn’t be surprised.

The not much tread argument makes sense, but still, running backs get old fast.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Bear gets cut, but I would be surprised. I think Donnell would still be “safe” on the practice squad for one more season. Some more work with Pope should have him ready to displace Bear in 2014.

demo has the locks about right.

You can certainly mark down a number of the bubble players as “favorites” and others as long-shots, but with two preseason games to go that could change.

I have Mosley, Rogers and James as near-locks. One of the backup QBs makes it. One of Patterson and Austin make it. One among Thomas, Sash and Taylor make it. That would leave only three spots open and a lot of talent competing for those spots.

No doubt a number of our late cuts are NFL-quality players. But this is what you want: agonizing decisions about players you figure could do the job if called upon but can’t quite make the cut because there’s plenty of talent ahead of them. Jerry Reese put together a terrific camp roster, the best we’ve had since he’s been GM.

•  demo3356 says:

agree on nearly all. I’m thinking Carr is a near lock due to how much Painter completely sucks, but Car looked God awful the other night

5.  jfunk says:

It seems like every time I look up, Charles James is making another play. It will be a shame if we can’t find a place for this kid.

•  demo3356 says:

He has looked very good and would be the favorite to make it if anything happens to TT this week or next or if they opt to carry 6 and toy with Thomas or Ross at S

I think he’s he’s at least PS and has a decent chance at the 53. I was disappointed he didn’t get earlier PR chances last game.

6.  demo3356 says:

Repost
    I have 44 roster locks (barring injuries) and another 23 bubble guys who are in the mix for a spot depending on injuries and blowing up the last 2 games. Also some of the bubble guys are guys likely to make the roster but could also play themselves off. Everyone on that list should make it through initial cuts and have a shot to show something in the final 2 games. Also have Kuhn and Hill on the PUP and suspended lists
    Quarterbacks:
    39 Tyler Sash
    30 Cooper Taylor
    PUP
    78 Markus Kuhn
    Suspended
    25 Will Hill

Last 9 spots will be a dogfight especially along the DL. We are going to release 2-3 very solid players that should get gobbled up by DL needy teams

NotoriousOHM Ohm Youngmisuk
    >> RT @KieranDarcy: Antrel Rolle has a helmet on, and is starting to participate in drills.

NotoriousOHM Ohm Youngmisuk
    >> RT @KieranDarcy: Ryan Mundy with first-team D now, Rolle doing some running on the side. Very limited thus far, but still progress

•  demo3356 says:

Thats why I have Mundy as a lock. For whatever reason the caches seem to like him. If it weren’t for Hills suspension I think Mundy would get the ax

He’s ahead of Sash regardless of Hill. I think he could have been knocked off the roster but I think we could keep 5 safeties. To me it comes down to James or Sash. I think Taylor is on the 53 or IR’d, he’s the only lock I think you forgot to include. We are not cutting him to place him on PS.

You and I have disagreed about this all along. Mundy was ALWAYS going to be on the roster because he’s our third best safety. He isn’t great, but he’s solid, and consistent. Third safeties in the NFL can make a living being solid and consistent. Especially third safeties trained under Dick LeBeau.

Taylor is just “potential” and hasn’t been able to show much of anything. A perfect candidate for the practice squad or IR.

Sash has done a good job of competing for his NFL career when he knew coming in he’s on the bubble. He’s have been a goner if Hill wasn’t suspended, and if he now makes it he’ll have to hope that Mundy screws up or someone is hurt because otherwise when Hill is eligible that should be the end of Sash.

I think we may be downplaying this news a bit. Having the Hynoscerous available against Dallas is BIG.

IF we can get through Saturday night relatively unscathed by the Injury Devil we have a real chance at having a very intact team available as the season opens. Baas is unlikely to make it back for Week 1, but even that may happen. We would otherwise have everyone except, possibly, JPP, and since I’m looking for a BIG opening night effort from Tuck and Kiwi, I think we could manage without him until Week 2 or 3 if necessary.

The Cowboys will test Cordle if he’s at center with some middle blitzes, and Ware is going to really challenge Pugh, but I think having Hynoski available is likely to allow us to keep a balanced offense going that night, and if we do I think we open with a critical win. Hynoski is absolutely crucial in the run game because our offensive line isn’t built to knock defenders off the LOS and the fullback and tight ends have to consistently create some seams that allow what would be 1-2 yard runs to become 4-5 yard runs.

If the Giants running game can average 4.5 YPC it’s going to be a very exciting season, because with our QB and receiving corps defenses that cannot stop the run are going to be helpless. I know there are questions about the defense, but I think two things: first, defense simply isn’t as critical in today’s NFL when a pretty decent defense is all you need if you have an elite offense; and second, that our defense has a chance to be more than “pretty decent” and most fans are not seeing how much better it looks than it did last season just based upon personnel.

•  demo3356 says:

I think we may score 40 on Dallas in opener. Their defense is going to struggle in changing from an aggressive 3/4 to Kiffens Tampa 2. I think we light them up. I’m just worried about how we deal with Austin, Bryant and Whitten. Should be a shoot out

I think the key to stopping Whitten is is stopping the run. If they are running the ball with play action and Conner in the middle he’s going to catch a lot of balls. If we can get into our nickel then we have a lot better chance. I think we match up well against their WRs. Bryant is an elite WR so he will get his but Prince will stop him form going crazy. I like a healthy Webster against Austin, I think Austin is not the same WR he once was. The WR that scares me some is the rookie Williams from Baylor, he has legit speed and Webster could be on him when they go 3 WRs.

I think playing against the 4-3 is easier for Pugh to adjust to. It’s harder in a 3-4 to know he’s rushing the passer. Also guys like Ware come wider off the edge. Their defense is not a blitz heavy unit. They are playing our defense and Kiffin has never been a big blitz guy.

Hynoski can help us run but I feel that 3 WRs sets will be our most effective.

I think JPP will play but might be on a limited snap count as he works his way back into football shape.

9.  demo3356 says:

Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a 1st degree murder charge in the death of Odin Lloyd by a Massachusetts grand jury.

Good. It may be largely circumstantial evidence (although they’ll “turn” one of his pals that guy will be a very questionable witness for the prosecution) but this guy is a true menace and society needs to be protected from him.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

Demo, pretty much agree with your list. But i’d also bubble JJ.

I just don’t see him as a lock to make this roster by any means.

I’m looking for a big push from him on Saturday. If he screws the pooch that night then things will change, but this is his first REAL chance to show he can be more than a returner. He’ll play against starting defenders and have chances to make plays. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. But if he pulls up lame, or plays badly, he’s in big trouble.