August 19th, 2013 at 11:00 AM

When New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin took the podium following a 20-12 loss to the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday night, he immediately pointed out two things: the team didn't make enough plays and they were penalized far too many times.

'Tom Coughlin Watches Giants' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Ironically, one of those penalties was called on the coach himself — a 15-yarder for a highly uncharacteristic act of unsportsmanlike conduct. The reason for this call, as former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira alluded to via Twitter, was because Coughlin left the coaches box. This, of course, will be a point of emphasis for the NFL and head coaches this season.

Coughlin didn't shy away from the penalty or makes excuses. Rather, he owned it and admitted he was wrong … kind of.

“I’m taking full responsibility for that, I was wrong,” Coughlin said after the game. “I was out on the field too many times. They warned me about that, but in that situation, you’re told by the officials to go ahead and come down if you need to take a timeout when the clock is running out, but that didn’t happen."

Following the flag, an angry Coughlin continued to state his case. In fact, he even met the officials around mid-field as the teams headed into the locker-room at halftime. He remained animated and made whatever feelings he had in that moment very clear.

At the end of the day, Coughlin is a stickler for the rules. So much so that he often seems to be more versed than the officials themselves are. Such was not the case on Sunday night and, whether he agrees with it or not, he violated a rule the league is focusing on and it cost the team 15 yards.

You can meet Doc Gooden! Sports Fan Promotions is providing fans with an opportunity to meet legendary New York Yankees and New York Mets pitcher Doc Gooden on Thursday, August 22 from 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. The event is being held at Locker Room Sports, 76 Main St. in Woodbridge, NJ 07095. Autographs are just $25 for any item, with inscriptions for $10!

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, Mike Pereira, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

36 Responses to “Tom Coughlin Accepts Responsibility for Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalty: “I was Wrong””

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

With Cruz most likely out the rest of preseason, Jernigan needs to find his way onto the field.

Personally, i’d love to see Murphy take snaps in the slot. And see what Randle, Nicks and murphy can do out there. when in a 3 WR set.

2.  Dirt says:

I’d like to speak a moment on the red zone:

It’s short sighted to say someone can’t contribute in the red zone due to height. It’s helpful, but not as helpful as getting open.

Cruz gets open in the red zone. His cut in the Super Bowl, in realtime in the NFL Films angle from behind the end zone, was the most ridiculous cut I’ve ever seen.

Myers can be a threat, height notwithstanding. He just needs to get open.

He caught more balls than all but 4 other TEs last year. I didn’t watch much Raiders football, but I think he might be able to get open.

•  Krow says:

Barden is a pair of baggy pants and an Obama mask away from being a rodeo clown.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i wasn’t implying that he CAN’T get open… All i said, was that he didn’t catch a pass last night. I havent seen a whole lot of him at all in the preseason offensively. Any of our TE’s for that matter.

and the Red Zone scoring TD’s still continues to be a GIANT ( no pun intended) problem for this team.

•  Krow says:

It’s like little green space aliens. While I admit that it’s ‘possible’ I’ve never really seen any.

•  Dirt says:

I guess that’s fair. But Cruz is nasty in the red zone.

Here is the issue with the Giants red zone:

In recent years, the offensive linemen can’t push people backwards. Part of this is the new NFL – defensive linemen are monsters. But part of this is the OL aging. Probably a bigger part.

Yes, they are able to run well in totality (one of the top YPC rush offenses, if not the best, in all of football last year).

But the majority of that is between the 20s, where safeties are playing back to worry about Nicks, Cruz, Murphy, Randle. Inside the 20s, they’re all packed in. And knowing that the OL can’t push people aside, Killdrive does them no favors asking them to do so in such tight spaces.

Honestly, the draw is about the best running play they have in the red zone – anything to get people out of the way.

And now I’m going to go throw up in my mouth.

•  Krow says:

Uh huh. Agreed. But the draw suffers from crushing predictability.

•  Dirt says:

Also, the Giants tip run or pass so badly. They don’t run nearly enough from under center. They have zero balance in terms of passing under center vs. shotgun and same for rushing. Because they lean so heavily toward one or the other.

And just last week, Wilson was standing 3 yards closer to the line on passing plays. I didn’t notice it last night, so hopefully that was corrected. But there’s a reason people say this offense is obvious.

Obvious + tight quarters + aging OL = no running room.

•  Dirt says:

Also, the Giants never throw on 3rd or 4th and 1. That’s not making blowing 7-2-2 formations off the line any easier either.

Now, this is all good in the preseason. We have proof on film that they can’t do it.

But we also have old stubborn coaches watching said film.

Should be interesting!

•  BigBlueGiant says:

hated the play call when they went for it on 4th and 2. Power Run to the outside with Brown? Honestly, as much as I loathe it… The Gilbride Special Shotgun Draw would have been a better run play there.

3.  norm says:

A few random thoughts:

I made a point of focusing in on Pugh when he entered the game and came away impressed. On just about every play, his man was unable to get off his block. He did have one or two whiffs that I saw (there may have been others) and I don’t know anything about the quality of the player he was lined up against but considering that he came in with less than a week’s worth of practice, a very good first outing for the rookie.

Will Beatty had an excellent game. He is a stud who is quietly emerging as one of the game’s top LTs. Yeah, I said it.

I was very disappointed in what I saw from Hankins. He did not look anything near as stout as advertised. Rather, he looked more like me after a half dozen pints of stout; wobbly as f–k.

Austin did a good job collapsing the pocket against the second team – one of which led to a Trattou sack. Unfortunately, he whiffed on a couple of tackles.

Speaking of Trattou, I thought he had a solid game. By rights, he should be ahead of Tracy on the depth chart. Probably isn’t, though.

As for the mystery of why Ojomo ain’t getting more burn against the 2s and 1s… I’d simply refer y’all back to recent history and how this coaching staff nearly cut Victor Cruz save a last minute reprieve from the front office. Apparently, the Giants coaches are as unmoved by preseason performances against third stringers as are many fans.

Glad to see you posting. Hope you’re feeling better.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

+1000000 FF55

Feel Good, Norm!

•  norm says:

Thank you both.

Just an update for anyone who gives a crap:

Went into the hospital and was diagnosed with diverticulitis in July, pumped full of antibiotics, and sent home (no surgery needed, thank God) Although my GE assures me that I’m now fine, the ol’ gut still feels lousy most days (even worse for three hours last night) and I have little appetite (lost 25 pounds in less than a month) Currently, I’m in the process of reevaluating my diet in the hopes of finding the right combination of foods to help me feel OK again.

’nuff said on that subject.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, feel better man. My Sister had diverticulitis a few years back. she had a significant amount of her large intestine removed. It’s real serious stuff.

Glad to hear you’re feeling well!!!!

BTW, I heard Jim Cordle dedicated his good game to you.

•  F0XLIN says:

Norm would you call yourself 85% probable for Sunday?

Glad to hear you are feeling better

Austin is getting cut, give it up

But I remember Cruz in the preseason he almost got cut getting some time with the 1st and 2nd teams. That’s all I want. I feel like he’s the biggest mystery on the team.

Watching Tracy more he’s a much different player than I assumed by his stature. While he’s a decent pass rusher he’s actually much more stout against the run than his stature would lead you to think. His value is versatility and special teams. If Curry plays his way off the team Tracy could easily be our 2nd or 3rd team SLB. Also the experiments with the 3-4 looks help Tracy because he’s probably a natural fit for the a 3-4 OLB.

Trattou is solid and many years would make the team but I think we either keep Tracy versatility or Ojomo’s play making ability. We are are 4 teams deep with NFL caliber DL players at each position. Both Patterson and Rodgers are playing well but Austin is doing enough to show he’s not a bust so there’s no reason to cut him.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Tracy > Curry.

Aaron Curry will be bagging groceries next year.

I think Curry has a role but as a vet most teams want younger player to fill it. I think he’s a good short yardage LB and special teams player. Also on another team he might be able to help as a pass rusher. But his football smarts are lacking. Maybe he will get better but it looks now like he’s only 50-50 for the roster.

I wonder if there’s a chance we keep 5 LBs while putting both Sabino and Muasau on PS. We have Tracy, Moore and Kiwi as guys that can fill in at LB if needed. That would mean our extra TEs, RBs, WRs, DBs or DLs would have to be good on special teams. Since LBs are normally the core of special teams.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Goat, what team will want Curry when we cut him loose? And on what credentials? Just because he was the #4 over all pick in the draft?

this kid has proved time and time again that he can’t play in this league! He should be DOMINATING against the 3rd teams, instead he’s confused and lost.

50/50 for him making this team is being extremely kind. I’d say his chances are about 20-80

I’ll take Bosworth, Massau and Sabino over him.

I’m saying if he’s kept that will be his role for us, not in the NFL. I’m not saying he’s proved he should be kept yet. That’s why I suggested keeping 5 LBs is possible. To me 4 LBs were always locks. Conner as a backup was going to be in some trouble but now it appears he’s the starter and therefore a roster lock.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    August 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Barden didn’t impress me last night. I have been more a supporter than not over the years but I don’t see how last night helped him make the team. He can’t power through and get a few inches on a cruitial 3rd down then he can’t play through contract on a fade. Those are the plays a 6’6? 225 WRs without speed has to make in my view. To me he help JJ make the team because he showed nothing of value that we would give up by cutting him.

Plus with Cruz’s injury and Hardy’s showing JJ just became more important. JJ will likely be our starting slot WR next week. We have other outside WRs in Randle and Murphy but JJ is our only backup slot WR. Last night made me feel even more confident about JJ over Barden assuming we keep 5 WRs.

Krow says:
    August 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    I think Hardy had a real shot at making the roster based on his Special Teams play. So they gave him his chance … and he blew it. I agree … JJ is now back in the picture, and can make the team if he a) plays next week … and b) shows returnability (yes, it’s not a word).

But if he’s on the bike then who knows what could happen.

GOAT56 says:
    August 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    From what Barden has shown I think JJ has a claim as just a backup WR. Look at how the slot position looked when Cruz got banged up. While we can put Murphy, Randle or even nicks in the slot I don’t think they are better in the slot like JJ. JJ skills as a WR are made for the slot.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

JJ ain’t gonna make the team watching from the sidelines. he needs to practice, and he needs to play.

Like i said, i think we might actually see Murphy start taking some snaps in the slot.

Also, Kevin Hardy BLOOOOWS. He will be on the practice squad if anything.

JJ played well in game one. All he needs to do is practice and play well in week 3 to lock up his spot. JJ hasn’t had significant durability concerns the past 2 seasons. So I think it’s different than if Austin was sitting on the sidelines. Plus his competition isn’t much. And lastly but most importantly he’s a 3rd round pick that has 2 years left on his rookie deal. His opposition has to beat him out, not the other way around.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I dont see it that way at all.

i think he’s in big trouble in making this team. So far, Barden will have the edge. That’ the facts. Barden has played well out there in practice and in games and has remained healthy.

Also, yes. JJ hasn’t had injuries the past two seasons. But, the fact that he’s been inactive for games or when active can’t get onto the field (Even with Nicks AND Cruz both out at times) is very concerning for his cause.

I actually think we’ll see Murphy stepping into the slot in practice and gametime if Cruz sits out the rest of the preseason.

Forget the rookie contract, JJ’s job is most definitely in jeopardy. don’t think it’s not.

Cruz missed like a half in the past 2 seasons. Nicks being out is way different than Cruz.

Why would you forget about the rookie contract when it’s CLEAR our brass rarely does? You can’t remove that from this equation because it’s a huge factor.

I don’t think his job is in jeopardy. If we had some younger players pushing like past years then maybe. But these young WRs are easily the worse group we have had in many many years. And Barden isn’t doing anything special to make himself stand out. I think JJ left room for someone to knock him off the roster but no one has come close to steeping up and grabbing that opportunity.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

I saw a great Chip Block from Wilson on Werner that I liked on Wilson’s swing route he ran.

I like the fact that he went out there and bumped him. Freed him up in the course of doing so as well.

The Red Zone problems should work themselves out.

In order to score down there you need either a dominant offensive line (not happening with these Giants) or a way to get the ball delivered both between the hash marks and outside them.

The way to get opportunities between the hash marks are to force the linebackers and close-in safety out of the interior passing lanes so as to get two lanes open, allowing Eli and his receiver(s) to find either of them as they read their options. That would allow Cruz and Myers to pick their spots, set up their defender and then cut or turn toward where the ball is coming as Eli times the throw so the defender cannot react quickly enough. We now have the opportunity to force those defenders to worry enough about the edges that they cannot just drop into passing lanes: just use Wilson and Brown for swing passes and quick tosses while allowing the fullback and tight ends to get around the edge and create interference when possible. That would open up those lanes as the defense reacts to those types of plays and has to be aware of the possibility. They can also then fake the toss, make the defense react to it, and then hit the weak side WR on a slant or have the TE slide across the defense away from the strong side for a usually open pass. Lots of options there, but it comes from the threat of the running back getting the edge either via run or pass.

You use the threat of the fade as well as the play itself to score outside. We have Nicks, Randle and Murphy (and even, ugh, Barden) who can get the ball thrown to the corner. If the cornerback starts cheating that way they can break the pattern off to the inside and be open. Or they can run a quick slant and use their body to screen off the defense (which only works when the linebackers don’t immediately drop at an angle to stop the slant and corners cheat up to intercept the slant if they can beat the receiver to the spot).

Lots of ways to score inside the 20, but they have to loosen the defense up with more to think about, forcing less coverage inside.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

We say they’ll work themselves out every year… but it still hasn’t yet.

I know it’s preseason, but man, you can’t leave those pts on the board like that.

I don’t disagree. Those failures would cost them at least three games this season, which could send them out of the playoffs. But they have the talent to cure it. It’s the imagination on the part of the coaches and getting timing down by the players that have to come now, and fast.

The point is that even if we were great and converted TDs all those times that means as little as not converting. It’s preseason and the only way we can show those problems are fixed is the regular season.

As crazy as it sounds, it wouldn’t shock me if the opening day offensive line proves to be Beatty (LT), Mosley (LG), Boothe (C), Snee (RG) and Brewer (RT). I’d love to see Pugh in there and he may force his way in with two more games like he played last night (he was good).

I just hope they don’t trot Diehl out there. That would be a huge failure for Coughlin, Flaherty and Gilbride.

I think after seeing Cordle last night, it’s likely Boothe is moved to center. Then it becomes some combination of Diehl, Pugh, Brewer and Mosley. No one here wants Diehl on there but I’m not sure the coaches are willing to go with 2 first time starters at LG and RT. Sliding Diehl to LG could be an option to keep more experience on the field.

I think if we don’t move Boothe to center that shows Bass will be back soon.

In some ways last night might have been the dreaded BID. If Boothe can snap the ball consistently he could do well at center. We know he’s really smart so the OL calls part shouldn’t be an issue. Many wanted Diehl out already but then there were some like me that thought Diehl could be solid enough. Last night showed that’s not the case. So now we really should see Pugh and/or Brewer get a real chance. I think before it was more lip service.

8.  Jason McEwan says:

Say what you want about Roseanne’s husband but he held up better than Herzlich.