August 13th, 2013 at 6:07 PM
By Doug Rush

In a case of strange and sudden events, the New York Giants have announced that fullback Ryan D'Imperio has announced his retirement from the National Football League on Tuesday.

D'Imperio notified the Giants of his intentions to retire from football, which comes as a shock considering he was just at practice with the team on Monday and participated in the first-team offense and had been preparing to compete for the starting spot with Henry Hynoski recovering from knee surgery that was performed back in May.

Connor Orr of the Newark-Star Ledger reported that D'Imperio is looking to pursue other opportunities outside of the NFL, thus leading to him leaving the Giants and football.

"I'm hearing that Ryan wanted to pursue some career opportunities outside the NFL, which is why he decided to retire," he tweeted.

To replace D'Imperio, the Giants have also announced that they have signed fullback Ben Guidugli and have brought him into camp to compete for the starting fullback job.

Guidugli last competed in the NFL back in the 2011 season with the St. Louis Rams, although he did not compete in a single game for the team that season. Guidugli was an undrafted free agent out of Cincinnati two years ago that was signed by the Rams.

The Giants signing another fullback may not be seen as an encouraging sign for Hynoski, who is fighting to get back to the team for Week 1 against the Dallas Cowboys, but if his knee still hasn't healed properly, he could begin the season on the PUP List.

Photo credit: rburtzel / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Ben Guidugli, Football, Henry Hynoski, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan D'Imperio

24 Responses to “Ryan D’Imperio Announces Retirement from NFL; New York Giants Sign FB Ben Guidugli”

1.  GmenMania says:

Guidugli is nothing but a camp body. The only reason he was signed was to provide some blocking for the backups and 3rd stringers. I doubt this signing has any bearing on Hynoski’s recovery at all.

Repost:

Very strange. I wonder I this had something to do with Donnell getting a good number of FB snaps. If Hynoski stays on PUP I think Donnell has a good shot of making the 53.

* Marvin Austin, whom defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said played well in the preseason opener, was rewarded with a few snaps with the first team defense.

* At safety, Ryan Mundy took the majority of his snaps up near the box while Stevie Brown took the majority as the cover safety.

On the offensive side, Justin Pugh was given some snaps with the starters at right tackle in their two-minute drill. So when I asked Coughlin if Pugh picked up where he left off prior to suffering his concussion, he said, “ He’s got ways to go, but he’s in there fighting, battling.”

Austin is making the roster. It’s what the brass wants and as long as Austin shows something like in game one he will be kept. He’s not in a fair roster fight with Rodgers and Patterson. Patterson as of now looks to be the odd one out. The 3-4 looks given Rodgers even a further edge because he’s a legit 3-4 NT.

Brown as cover safety and leading the secondary will be interesting. I wonder who’s the backup at cover safety. I assume Sash is second team behind Mundy. Is Hill even being considered? I know Hill is being punished but it seems to me like he still needs work with at least the 2nd or 3rd teams if he’s going to be kept around.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Don’t pretend you’re some kind of genius for parroting what Fewell said. He may make the roster, but it sure isn’t due to talent. He looked like straight up garbage in the last game. Where were you on Sunday heaping praise on Austin? Nowhere. Neither were any of the other Austin apologists around here. Because Austin, once again, got pushed around by guys who won’t even be on a roster in a month. He will be the at the bottom of our depth chart and won’t contribute anything, assuming he stays healthy which is always a stretch. The only reason he sticks is because the GM spent a second round pick on him.

Repost so think before speaking:

GOAT56 says:
          August 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM
          Re-watching the game my added thoughts are:

I thought that Austin was much better than some say. I thought his first series or 2 were poor but then he played well.

Tracy didn’t provide the pass rush I expected but he might have been the best DE versus the run. Tracy stuffed a 3rd and 1 play and was in the backfield on the safety.

Jernigan was excellent as a WR and showed his skill on the safety return.

I say the game with the Pitt telecast and our DL according to them is really 4 deep at each position with NFL quality. They were high on our ability to be really good this year.

The Brewer and Pugh injuries caused us to play the second half with very little NFL quality OL players so I give the skill players a pass and just extra credit to a Cox.

It was interesting that before his injury Adams was getting WR snaps over Barden.

Scott isn’t a great natural runner. He’s probably the worse of our RBs. But he can catch, pass block, runs a 4.3 and plays well on special teams. He has the make up of a #4 RB.

I think Williams is just too small to be an every down WLB. He looks 220. He is our LB capable of making the most plays but his size scares me playing the run. He should be our 3rd safety and nickel LB.

I know Donnell dropped or didn’t make plays on a number of balls but I still saw a lot to work with. He looked very athletic and got open. He played FB and TE. I’m hoping that the non catches were more of a nerves thing because I don’t recall him getting many chances before.

Before you were being an **** about it my point was simply the coaches thought he played well which means a lot for his roster spot. I wasn’t trying to say I was right but by your dumb post it merited a re-post. I’m a Giant so I want a talented a talented player to contribute if he can. I don’t know what your issue is with Austin but at least catch up with reading post before you say something that isn’t true.

4.  6string says:

I think Austin had a great deal to do with the #4 unit’s sacks on Saturday.

•  rlhjr says:

Anything positive about Austin is very good news indeed. Hopefully through reps, some or all of his quickness will return.

Right now at DT Hankins is IMO cat like. This kid is 320 and he moves really well.
      Not slow by a long shot. He’s going to surprise many a offensive lineman with his quick first step and closing speed. The kid is legit.

Jennings is also quick for a man of his size. He will help this D-line. With any help from JPP, Kiwi and Joseph the unit should be pretty good. This should be especially true the second half of the season.

I know there’s some risk in having the defense become jack of all trades master of none, but we will be facing SO many different offenses that our ability to be flexible in defensive sets and personnel so as to best match up seems a risk worth taking.

I don’t see how Rogers doesn’t make this team. And we know Jenkins, Hankins, and Joseph are locks. There’s room for only one more. It may be Austin but he hasn’t yet proved he deserves it. I wonder if Patterson gets the shaft in the process?

6.  Dirt says:

This place is downright hostile the last few days – football season must be here! I love it!

Fvk y’all!

And it sounds like Tracy is likely to make the roster because of his flexibility.

8.  Kevros says:

I heard we might keep 3 QBs this year…

9.  Dirt says:

I don’t want to come across as making excuses, but I think the offense’s failure to punch it in in the red zone, in the first preseason game of the year, having its first snaps of said year start right on the 5 yard line and thus have no rythym, is not cause for concern.

Truth is, in the first three snaps of the preseason, there is zero game planning. Zero creating matchup issues. Zero film study. Just line up and beat your man. Which we know full well our offensive line is incapable of, yet is somehow able to be overcome annually to put up a shitton of points.

So, let’s have this chat about red zone in a couple months. Not saying it will be better, or worse. Just saying that what you saw Saturday will have very, very little to do with what you will see in a couple months.

10.  demo3356 says:

LMFAO at GOAT laying the smack down on sir Chadwick.. I wish our LB’s hit that hard