New York Giants’ Adrian Tracy Determined to Become Next Osi Umenyiora

August 7th, 2013 at 12:30 PM

'Aaron Rodgers, Osi Umenyiora' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Osi Umenyiora may now be with the Atlanta Falcons, but his presence is still felt by his former New York Giants teammates. None more than fourth-year defensive end Adrian Tracy, who was adorned with the nickname "Yosi" by the Chief himself due to their vast similarities in size and style.

"We're similar size, both in height and weight, and we have a lot of the same attributes," Tracy told Jonathan Clegg of the Wall Street Journal. "I mean, there's a reason they gave me the name Yosi."

For anyone keeping a close eye on the team, it's easy to see and understand the comparisons. Tracy stands at 6'2'', the same height as Umenyiora, and at 250 lbs., weighs only five pounds less than the former Pro Bowler. As if that weren't enough, each has a 33-inch wing span. And their 40-yard times? That only differs by 0.02 seconds.

"There are times when you squint and it could be Osi out there," said tight end Bear Pascoe. "Just the speed, the quickness and then the same sort of moves too."

However, unlike Umenyiora, who played in 129 games for the Giants and recorded 75 sacks, Tracy has only seen action in 16 games with one sack over his four-year career. All of that action came a season ago.

"I don't know if it's stealing. I feel it's more like learning and finding something that works for you," said Tracy. "Hopefully that was him passing the baton."

Thus far in camp, Tracy has out-played all of the competition behind him and appears to be headed for the No. 4 spot at defensive end. However, the games have yet to begin, and despite his struggles in camp thus far, we all remember how Adewale Ojomo looked last year. In other words, the battle rages on, but if ends with Osi Umenyiora v2.0, everyone wins.

Tracy will get his first chance to shine this Saturday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. And for those who want dive in and bet on the Giants at any of these sites, it might add a little spice to your weekend.

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Adrian Tracy, Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons, Bear Pascoe, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

23 Responses to “New York Giants’ Adrian Tracy Determined to Become Next Osi Umenyiora”

And to prove it he quickly announced that he’s holding out for more money, wants to renegotiate his contract, and called Reese a liar.

Dan, I’m curious. Was it Ojomo who reported overweight and got the wrath of TC directed at him? We’ve heard absolutely nothing from him or about him. I’m wondering if he is in the doghouse. We know just one player reported overweight but as far as I know no one was ever identified as that player.

Meanwhile, if Tracy can get even close to “Osi II” we’d be awfully lucky.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Coughlin wouldn’t say who it was who reported overweight. Too many players to speculate, but it’s certainly a possibility.

He’s not in the doghouse per say, but has not been looking very good so far.

Perhaps a one-hit wonder? They had to like his size and play last year because they protected him on the roster. Sounds like he may be one of those guys with physical talent and a lazy attitude.

Meanwhile we have two young guys in Tracy and Moore who really go get it. Ojomo may have to hope that the possibility of Tuck’s departure leaves them desirous of keeping a “big” DE around as a potential replacement.

3.  demo3356 says:

yeah………And I’m “Determined” to be the next Hugh Heffner.

4.  demo3356 says:

Looking forward to Kujo taking this next Osi in another direction when he sees this.. ‘ll leave it on the tee for him as he will no doubt do it more eloquently than I

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

How about instead of trying to the “NEXT OSI”, this kid attempts to be the first Adrian Tracy?

I know i give this kid a hard time, but it’s all for a good reason. I just don’t see him being that good as a DE in this league. He might be better suited as a LB’er especially in a 3-4 scheme.

That said, i do give him a hard time, but i’d like to see him do well.

You keep on over stating what most of us see in Tracy. He’s a 4th DE on this team, maybe 5th. But he can cause an impact as a pass rushing specialist in much the way many felt Osi should have been used the last few years. Of course it’s doubtful he’s Osi but in his role if he can get 5-6 sacks that would be a lot. And I think he’s capable of those numbers with the players around him. However, with the emergence of Moore he might not get enough snaps. Though I think Kiwi and Tuck may lose some pass rushing snaps to Moore and Tracy this year.

I do agree that’s he’s probably a natural 3-4 OLB but that doesn’t mean he can’t be effective in a role for us.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

As for the Ojomo thing from the post above… He might not shine during practices, or perhaps at all. Maybe he’s not a practice player. Some guys look better doing drills and in practice situations than other guys do.

I think Ojomo is more a game time player. We shall find out soon!

For me on Ojomo which I even questioned last year is I need to see him against better players. when Cruz blew up 3 years ago in the preseason game he was making an impact in practice. Ojomo if he is not going to practice well has to make an impact against at least 2nd stringers. I would play Tuck and Kiwi a series and let Moore, Tracy & Ojomo rotate for the rest of the first half. We need to see what they all can do.

Repost:

anfor55years says:
    August 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    Speaking of protecting the QB, I just don’t see how they can do without David Carr this season unless Nassib absolutely lights it up in preseason, which I think is so unlikely as to be not worth seriously contemplating.

It would be one thing if this team wasn’t starting to see some promising developments from players like Snee, Baas and Diehl (good health), Murphy (showing he can take the top off the defense but also make catches in traffic) and Myers (a catching machine), Webster and Amukamara and Thomas (combinations of good news on the health front and superb play by the guy who is being counted upon to give it), and so on. But they have to be starting to think they can compete with the top teams. You cannot go into a season like that without a backup QB who can win games for you in tough circumstances. Carr can. Nassib probably cannot at this point.

I think they’ll have to carry three quarterbacks. They’ll probably have to make up for that by carrying only three running backs.

F0XLIN says:
    August 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Then again they said Nassib has been throwing very well on the run, not so much standing in the pocket…. could David Diehl at RT actually benefit Nassib?

fanfor55years says:
    August 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    I can’t see it. Nassib was a very good college QB, one with many attributes that may allow him to become a very good NFL quarterback, but it takes time. People point to last year’s rookie sensations but I think Luck, RGIII and Wilson will prove to be anomalies.

I can imagine Nassib supplanting Carr after a year in the quarterbacks’ room and a lot of work at practices, but now just seems way too soon. It would be okay if this was a “developmental” year for the team, but that appears not to be the case as of the moment. Of course, things can always change, but in regard to the team’s chances for a title, I hope they only get better. Nassib can wait.

F0XLIN says:
    August 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    I was kidding, in that post training camp write I said the same, we’ll be carrying 3 QB’s after seeing him play

I think you have to see how things progress. It’s early in camp and type of player likely to make the most improvement is a rookie QB like Nassib. Also Carr needs to play well too. I have been a Carr fan but last year I wasn’t impressed by Carr in the preseason. It’s not about Nassib actually beating out Carr – which Jamie Dukes correctly points out rarely happens in the NFL. It’s about Nassib being even enough with Carr that keeping him makes little since for only slightly better. Carr has to continue to be clearly better or his roster is act serious risk. I look at preseason games one and two as a learning experience. And game 3 will be mostly and Carr. Game 4 is where Nassib will truly show where he is in his development because I’m guessing he will play at least half the game.

The offensive line was a joke last preseason so Carr looked bad. Means very little.

And no, if they are roughly equal, which I think is highly unlikely because of Carr’s long experience with the offense, they will go with Carr as the #2 if they believe they have a chance to get deep into the playoffs. They are not going into the season knowing their only backup is almost certain to make rookie mistakes if called upon to play, UNLESS they think it won’t be a season in which they have a legit shot at a ring. I’m becoming increasingly convinced they have reasons NOT to think that way. They certainly shouldn’t be favorites, but those 20-1 quoted odds look a lot longer to me now than they should be.

I like Carr and think he can succeed. But let’s not act like Carr is close to Eli. We are in serious trouble if Eli misses any more than 1-2 games any way. I don’t think a vet backup signifies the teams thoughts on the season. I think for a game of two Nassib could succeed just like Cousins did with Washington last year. Look at who GB had as it’s backup QB last year. Look at SF this year with Brady Quinn. Indy had Curtis Painter and Jim Sorgi. You don’t need a backup like Carr with Eli, it’s been a luxury, not a need.

But I agree Nassib has to play well.

Yeah, I knew you were kidding about Diehl improving Nassib’s game, but it gave me a chance to further develop the point.

Gun to my head, I think QB is Eli, Carr and Nassib. Running back is Wilson, Brown and Torrain. Cox to the practice team. Scott a goner.

Wow Torrain? I would be shocked if he made the team. I expect us to keep 4 RBs with both Cox and Scott but if we keep 3 I’m confident it will be Cox. Cox has showed stuff you can’t hide on PS if he plays as well in games. Plus Torrain is not the special teams player that Cox or Scott are.

It might be Cox, but let’s see what he does in games and if HE can learn pass protection immediately (doubtful). Torrain is a better replacement for both Wilson and Brown if we have only one guy available on game day (Cox would be a good replacement for Brown, but he’s essentially a power back who can’t get us what Wilson does while Torrain could at least give us a somewhat pale imitation). Scott has yet to show me that he has any “quicks” as opposed to speed. If he cannot set up defenders with horizontal movement his speed won’t do much good. I’m skeptical that is something you can learn, but I’ll wait and see.

Pass protection is important. Scott can pass protect. I’m not high on Torrain because I haven’t seen the productive player he once was in years. I think at this point Scott provides just as much as a runner and much more on special teams. I think Cox is on a path to be our #2 RB next year. I don’t think we risk him to PS even if he’s not pass block ready. With Wilson and Brown not combining for 150 career carries I don’t think we can afford to only carry 3 RBs because they are both a durability risk. Cox is one player I’m really looking forward to seeing Sat.

8.  GmenMania says:

UUT

9.  giantsou812 says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Giants need people to stop the run