New York Giants Players React to Riley Cooper’s Racist Rant

August 2nd, 2013 at 9:00 AM

By now, you've either heard about or seen the video of Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper slinging racist slurs and threatening to take on every African American person in the building, while dropping the N-bomb repeatedly. You've probably also read his apology.

"I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself. I want to apologize. I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences," he said.

On Thursday, many New York Giants players were hit with a barrage of questions about Cooper and his comments, and most spoke very openly about it. However, and unlike things in Philadelphia, the Giants were clearly prepared for these questions and coached on their answers.

Defensive lineman Adrian Tracy was one of the first to chime in.

“People play with anger all the time and this is an outlet for us to do so. So if people are angry and within the confines of the rules express their anger, I don’t think he’s going to be the only player. I’m sure there’s little lists that everybody has," Tracy said of Cooper possibly being targeted.

Punter Steve Weatherford:

“It’s obviously a black eye for him and a black eye for that franchise,” Weatherford said. “It’s disappointing for him because we’re role models at this point in our career and we have a pedestal to inspire and motivate. So that was unfortunate.”

Wide receiver Victor Cruz, who has said some controversial things of his own recently:

“It’s unfortunate,” Cruz said. “Obviously it’s always surprising when you hear something like that. There’s no place for that kind of language, it’s just unfortunate that it had to happen to someone like Riley Cooper and down in Philly."

And, finally, cornerback Aaron Ross:

"That's the Eagles problem," he said. "That never happens here."

Photo credit: zennie62 / Foter / CC BY-ND

Gearing up for the fantasy season? Try weekly fantasy football games this year at DraftDay.com. DraftDay has awarded over $15 million to fantasy fans like you, so don't miss out on the newest way to play fantasy football! Create your free account and use promo code GIFT for an instant cash bonus.

Tags: Aaron Ross, Adrian Tracy, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Steve Weatherford, Victor Cruz

25 Responses to “New York Giants Players React to Riley Cooper’s Racist Rant”

1.  JimStoll says:

Riley Cooper:

“I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself. I want to apologize. I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences,”

Put differently:

Hi. My name is Riley Cooper. I am a racist. I’m sorry, but I am.”

2.  giantsou812 says:

Cooper
    A wise man said, Let him without sin cast the first stone.

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
    August 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    Sounds good. Talk is cheap. Play the game.

But I will say this: having competition all over the defense, and legitimate competition, for roster spots and playing time, combined with not only no championship hangover but a dismal failure last season, is bound to be a good thing. Most of these guys are absolutely driven. Who, other than Rolle, knows he absolutely has his role on the defense tied down? Even Prince, who is coming on strong, doesn’t know if he’ll get the #1 CB spot. Uncertainty about your fate equals insecurity equals fierce motivation. I love what Reese and his staff did for the defense. And wait until a year from now after a defense-oriented draft. It will get better.

This is what I have been saying. I think our struggles in 2011 on defense were due to the DEs being banged up and horrible MLB play. We got that solved and were able to make the SB run. Last year while the DT play was a legit problem, the real issue in my view was hunger. That’s why this year it seems like we are playing like animal compared to last year because that hunger was not where it needed to be. Last year only Osi and Blackburn were playing for contracts while KP also playing for a contract got injured. Fewell isn’t a great DC but I think he’s good enough with the talent available and the players playing with hunger to field a very effective unit.

•  JimStoll says:

I’ll have to see it to believe it after the past 2 seasons.
        While it is true that injuries have made life more difficult (ask Bill Sheridan and the safeties he had to work with), there will always be injuries.
        Fewell’s entire approve is to sag back and wait for the other team to make mistakes.
        The problems with this approach include:

1. rarely achieving 3 and outs because the soft approach usually cedes 4+ first down yards

2. inability to dominate opposing offenses because you rarely knock them out of rhythm

3. inability to make the big stop late because its always dependent on a turnover as opposed to stonewall tackling or pass defense

4. cession of the time of possession and tempo of the game

In short, even with great camp competition and relative season-long health (all great things), the overall approach is still one that is more passive than aggressive and given the offense oriented rules of today’s NFL, only serves to make life easier for opposing offenses

In the SB run we did all of these things. And in 2010 we did these things until the 8 min mark of the Philly game and the GB game. The defense has had those moments in this scheme. The problem has been when we are bad we are pretty bad. Don’t get me wrong I prefer a more aggressive approach but that doesn’t mean what Fewell does can’t work in 2013 because it certainly has at times here. The chief thing that fairly goes against Fewell is the confusion we have seen far too many times in the defensive backfield. PF has to do something to ensure that’s not an issue this year. In this scheme we shouldn’t give up the number of big plays we have and it seems that too many of them were a breakdown in communication.

4.  PittJim says:

Vick, the unabashed killer of “man’s best friend”….being asked if he FORGIVES another man b/c of a racist word / rant…..

Is this still America?

I know Cooper has lost friends and allegiances and was REALLY stupid in his diatribe, but C’mon.

Sal Pal has been on ESPN acting like Cooper was an accomplice to the Newtown killer. Can’t we apologize and attempt to forgive….and move on?

Philly is having a tough week of camp. I didn’t expect them to win the division but thought they could be dangerous. I still think so because things like this can bring a team closer together because now everyone will really count them out. So while I think it’s less likely than a week ago Philly is in the mix I wouldn’t totally count them out. Vick is still a great fit for Kelly’s offense, they still have talent at the skill positions and their OL should be night and day better this year.

The irony in this situation is that Philly really needs Cooper to step up without Macclin as their #2 WR. He’s played well versus us before so it possible he could step up and fill that role.

I think everyone who has never uttered a disparaging remark about someone’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, or background is completly justified in hating on Cooper. The rest of us ought to practice a little understanding and forgiveness.

•  JimStoll says:

I think in situations like this the only “apology” that is believable is one along the lines of “hey, I was mad at so and so, so I said the meanest thing I could think of to hurt that person. ”
      anything else sounds to me more like: “hey I’m sorry I got caught on film”

What he said was bad but it’s more the anger which with he said it that makes it tougher to just move on with. But he gave himself a chance with the way he did apologize. It’s not about us because even the media will forget when another big story comes about, it’s about his locker room. We can’t forget players play with other players they don’t like all the time so while this makes news for legit reasons it really might not be the deal to the team it seems now.

7.  jahmyrr says:

While Cooper was 100% wrong for saying what he did, it sure would be nice if the double-standard for the “n-word” would vanish as well.

Its disgusting to watch videos of Giants locker room and having to hear JPP say “****” more times than I wanted to count.

If the word is so offensive, dont use it period. You cant start segregating vocabulary words. Its ok to say THIS if your are of *pick one* ethnicity. BUT if you are of another ethnicity, dont you dare say that word!? This is just about stupid. I dont care if its used with a “er” or an “a”. I dont care if its being used as a term of endearment.

Guys like Stephen A Smith need to wake up and stop acting like its ok to do this. As long as you keep trying to segregate your ethnicity from another, you will only fuel the pointless problem of racism.

We are never all the same. Even taking race out of it there are words that women can use among each other that a man shouldn’t use. It’s the same among other groups of people. It’s not rocket science. You know that you can’t use certain words as an adult. The use of the word was wrong but the anger in which he said it what has kept this a story. If he used the same word in a positive way this story would have already been gone. That use wouldn’t be right but the issue here is what Cooper displayed appeared to be hate.

8.  GIANTT says:

Just reading that post from the dedskins about them bringing in Barnett . I think if the Giants had suffered those type of preseason injuries , the criticism would have been universal against the teams workout and practice methods . I also think that there would have been a number of doom and gloomers predicting a losing season and calling for someones head . Im satisfied that the Giants methods are really no different from others and to get to the top of the conditioning and practice pile there will be injuries as players who are not strong enough to take the heavy use breakdown . I look at it this way , I know that as someone who has exercised heavily in the past and known the limits I could go to before injury , I would stop before serious injury could occur , I hoped . As Ive gotten older that threshold has become more limited to the point that any type of injury would take at least a month to work through . My point ? sometimes it aint the workout , its the players weaknesses showing up which hadnt shown up until pushed to NFL limits .

We are changing our methods as far as training occurs. I posted a story here a few days ago about it. I can’t remember where it was from. I use to share your sentiment but it seems that for too many years in a row we have had lots of injuries. The scary thing is for us last year wasn’t even bad compare to some other years. I look at a team like SF the last 2 years and I wish we ever had a year in which our core stayed that healthy. I wouldn’t be surprised if I new training methods really do end up helping.

9.  CT GIANT says:

NEED SOME HELP/ADVICE

CAN BUY TWO TICKETS TO THE COLTS GAME, SECTION 314, ROW 22, FOR $35.00 x 2 $70.
    BUT HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A GAME AT MET-LIFE YET, SO I LOOKING FOR PARKING INFORAMTION, AND ANY OTHER INFORMATION ASAP.
    THANKS, CT. GIANT

PLEASE POST OR EMAIL, Giantsgreat56@gmail.com

10.  GIANTT says:

In a case like this as far as Cooper is concerned , I blame the system that allows ANYBODY to take ANY type of recording with a pocket device and post it online for ANYONE to see . Lets go back before 30 years ago , would this even have been commented on apart from someones word of mouth ? No . I agree that some of these guys should be much more aware of their fame and possibilities . My advice to these young guys ? If its not something you would say or do in front of your mother , SHUT UP .