July 24th, 2013 at 6:30 AM
By Doug Rush

On Tuesday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers added running back depth by signing veteran running back Peyton Hillis on a one-year deal. He will compete with Doug Martin for playing time.

'Peyton Hillis' photo (c) 2012, Jeffrey Beall - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reported that before the Buccaneers signed Hillis to his deal, the New York Giants had inquired on the 27-year-old as a potential fill-in at fullback.

"Told the Giants inquired about Peyton Hillis before he visited the Bucs. Down in TB, he'll play some FB + RB like Holder Stephen said," he tweeted.

With Henry Hynoski recovering from knee surgery and Vonta Leach looking for more money in free agency, it made sense for the Giants to make an inquiry on the former cover boy of Madden 12, when he was a member of the Cleveland Browns. Garafolo mentioned that Hillis' deal with Tampa was one year for the veteran minimum, which is what the Giants probably would have offered as well, but Hillis probably saw more guaranteed playing time and snaps at running back over being a fullback in New York.

Hillis made a name for himself back in the 2010 season, where he rushed for 1,170 yards and 11 touchdowns for Cleveland, a season that eventually landed him that distinct honor of gracing the cover of the popular video game. It could be said that Hillis fell victim to the "Madden Curse," since he hasn't had the same kind of production after that year.

In 2012, he was with the Kansas City Chiefs, playing in 13 games and rushed for 309 yards and one touchdown in limited duty.

With Hillis now signed, the Giants focus at fullback is still engaging on Leach, but keeping their ears open to the market to see what is available incase Hynoski's knee doesn't get well enough for him to start the season. In the mean time, the Giants will begin training camp with tight end Bear Pascoe as the interim tight end.

Tags: Doug Martin, Football, Henry Hynoski, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peyton Hillis, Vonta Leach

13 Responses to “New York Giants Inquired About Peyton Hillis Before He Signed with Tampa Bay Buccaneers”

Why ?

2.  Dirt says:

Krow,

Guaranteed money is important. What if he blows his knee out in year two?

•  JimStoll says:

does the amount of guaranteed negatively impact the salary cap?
      if not, JR should look for a way to compromise
      they need this kid in Day 1 of camp
      if he misses a week, guaranteed he doesn’t see the field until mid-season if at all, barring injury to others of course
      another year of Diehl is not appealing

No, it does not affect the cap, and I totally agree with you. Reese should compromise and get the kid in, or shut up when he would normally be complaining about the coaches not using his draft picks early enough.

I don’t see this as an issue. I believe they’ll get it done tomorrow, if not sooner. I assume the same in regard to Nassib. I like that Reese is tough, but this starts to smell like “too tough” in the service of saving the owners’ money. As fans, we should be rooting for the player when it comes to guarantees.

3.  JimStoll says:

Picking up on the last thread’s discussion regarding prognostications for the upcoming season.
    We have begun our annual debate between so-called optimists vs. pessimists; homers vs. realists. As usual, the debate is littered with the requisite personal insults and snide remarks designed to carry the debate by denigrating not the opposing argument, but rather the opposing arguer.

I fall into the “realism” camp as derided by FF in his last comment on the subject — the quotations provided by FF in his post to signify misguided and unsupported, perhaps irrational, indeed stupid thinking. Without responding in kind, let me say this, what is derided as “realism” is nonetheless fact — we have been 8-8, 10-6, 9-7, 9-7 over the past 4 years, with one playoff appearance, that of course led to a second miraculous super bowl triumph in the Coughlin era. Another fact — over TC’s 9 year tenure the Giants have twice surpassed the 10-6 mark (2005/2008), twice recorded 10-6 records (2007/2010), 5 times recorded less than 10-6 records (2004/2006/2209/2011/2012). We have of course been to the playoffs 5 out of 9 seasons (2005-2008/2011). We were knocked out in the first round 3 times (2005/2006/2008) and won two super bowls (2007/2011).

What I take away from all this is that we have always had enough talent to compete. The question for me is whether we’ve ever had enough (or the right talent) to dominate [other than in crazy spurts]; or whether the coaching has been a drag on the talent. Most know I’ve never been a huge Coughlin/Gilbride/anyone but Spags fan, so I tend to believe the coaching never quite gets all it can from the players. My current whipping boy is Fewell who reminds me more of Sheridan every day. His saggy/baggy approach to defense relies so much on the other team making the big mistake that the defense is simply erratic. but truth be told, the offense was erratic as he!! last year as well.

There are just so many games each season where one unit or the other just doesn’t show up. Happens every season. Happens against good teams or bad teams. (The reverse is true as well).

The point of all this is that since we’ve always been erratic, until I see otherwise, I expect us to be erratic again, talent notwithstanding.

4.  F0XLIN says:

Re the previous TT article

The one thing that keeps me more optimistic that TT can return to form this time around is the type of surgery he had. Previously TT had his ACL repaired from a cadaver tendon vs his own Patella tendon this previous surgery. Having ACL surgery before by a top sports doctor in the area (with the Knicks for some years) he instructed the best chance you have to return to 100% athletic form is using your own Patella. I know a few others who have had cadaver complications and from my own experience I am 100%. Granted not an NFL corner, but skiing moguls takes the same pounding and leverage on your knee, and can happily say I have close to zero residual pain, soreness, or effectiveness.

Nicks and leverage ….

I think the only way we can keep Hakeem Nicks for the long term is to use the leverage we have THIS year. We’re the only team that can pay him in 2013. This is our ace … our trump card … and it has to be played.

The math …

Let’s assume that we’re talking at least $10 million a year … 5 years … total $50,000,000. This year his salary is $2,725,000. The difference is $7,275,000.
    Which means that in real money our offer is $57,275,000 over 5 years … or $11,455,000 a season. Very competitive.

It’s really a no-brainer … IF they plan on keeping him. That depends on a lot of factors we don’t know anything about. It’s possible that they just don’t want to invest the money. Maybe they project Randle as the future at the X WR spot. Maybe they’re worried about his health. Who knows? But if we don’t see this sort of offer then we can assume they’re not serious about signing him. Because this is our best chance. Once the season is over then so is our leverage.

•  JimStoll says:

I can’t remeber whether JR has ever signed anyone early
      has he?

•  F0XLIN says:

I went ahead and watched all over Nicks career catches vs all of Randles over the weekend. Randle is not his replacement, Nicks is a dominant player. While Randle looks like a very good #2, he is NO WHERE NEAR as physical or explosive as Nicks, off the line, going up to get the ball, and after the catch. Nicks literally manhandles corners when healthy. I always loved Nicks but after watching this there is no chance in my mind JR does not extend him

•  JimStoll says:

with no special insight into how JR will get this done, I will say this: if the idea is to win, you win with an effective QB; we have that in Eli; but a QB needs weapons, and really good ones at that; we have two; JR just spent months ensuring that Cruz was locked up; I can’t see him doing that and not Nicks.
        A five year deal with Nicks dovetails perfectly with the second half of Eli’s career.
        I have to believe JR will do what he needs to do to make it happen.

•  F0XLIN says:

There are a lot of big cap numbers coming off in the next year. Pat Traina did a write up of this not too long ago and she predicts 17mio of cap space going into next year. I don’t think it’s as hard as it seems, just putting a number on Nicks with his injuries is the hard part