July 17th, 2013 at 11:30 AM
By Doug Rush

'Super Bowl-8-2' photo (c) 2012, Stephen Luke - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ The New York Giants decided to part ways with long-time kicker Lawrence Tynes after six seasons with the team. On Wednesday, Patricia Triana of Inside Football has reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have signed Tynes to a one-year deal.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today reported that Tynes' deal with the Buccaneers is for one year and the veteran minimum, which is $715,000.

Tynes being signed by the Buccaneers comes due to Connor Barth suffering a torn Achilles tendon, which will require season-ending surgery, this Tampa having a need to sign a new kicker, and Tynes had still been on the market after not being re-signed by the Giants back in March.

Tynes kicked the Giants to two straight Super Bowls, as he made the game-winning field goal in overtime in the 2007 NFC Championship Game against the Green Bay Packers and then again in overtime of the 2011 NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers.

In Super Bowl XLVI against the New England Patriots, Tynes played a crucial role, as he made two consecutive field goals for the Giants in the second half that drew the Giants closer to New England and made the score 17-15. the Giants went on to win the game 21-17.

Tynes came under fire from the media due to a lack of consistency late in the season and missed field goals in three straight games for the Giants; one of which came late against the Washington Redskins in a 17-16 loss and a field goal that could have ended up being the deciding points in the game for the Giants in that game. Tynes also missed the potential game-winning 54-yard field goal that would have won the game for the Giants back in Week 4 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Giants decided to go in a different direction at kicker, as first they signed former Dallas Cowboys kicker David Buehler for depth, but the team ultimately signed their new long-term kicker back in March when they signed former Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams kicker Josh Brown. Buehler will compete with Brown for the starting kicker spot, but most expect Brown to win the job for 2013. Both of these signings ultimately ended the reign of Tynes, who for the most part, had been a very consistent kicker with the Giants during his six seasons.

The 35-year-old, Scotland-born Tynes spent three years with the Kansas City Chiefs before being traded to the Giants before the 2007 season and has an 81.5 kicking percentage with 190 made field goals in his career.

Tags: David Buehler, Football, Josh Brown, Lawrence Tynes, New York, New York Giants, NFL

6 Responses to “Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sign Former New York Giants Kicker Lawrence Tynes to One-Year Deal”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    July 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    I don’t think we will be ranked high or thought of highly by many come this NFL season. We didn’t make the playoffs, lost several good players and didn’t make any splashy acquisitions. I get it. I understand how we can be looked upon in a non-favorable light. Then you have the annual love fest with Dallas experts believing this is the year they harness all this “great” talent into a SB contender. Now you have RG3 who some will say can walk on water if healthy.

I don’t see Dallas as any better than they have been which is a 500% team. I don’t like their change in defense. I think those CBs were made to play in Ryan’s scheme and they got hurt by poor safety play and injuries more than scheme last year. Ware and Spencer as 4-3 DEs with Ratliff and another at DT screams struggles against the run to me.

Washington I see as a team most hard to figure. The fact is when RG3 played with Garcon the Redskins only lost once or twice. But I just don’t see the offense they ran last year working the same. Teams will adjust doing the offseason. RG3 has the skills to be a quality pocket QB but rarely did he have to do so in 2012. I think that this year RG3 is going to be forced into many more situations that are uncomfortable. The Redskin’s defense has just as many questions as ours but less upside. I felt like Haslet did a great job the second half of last year covering up the Skins holes, I think that this year they will show. The Redskins don’t have a #1 CB and in this division that will hurt them with so many talented WRs. Also they face a first place schedule. I look for the redskins to be a 500% team.

Philly is a wildcard but if they get good QB play their offensive skill position players are as scary as ours. Plus their OL should be night a day better. I think Philly can surprise and be in the mix but I doubt they have enough to win the division.

I just see our competition to win the division as not the most daunting. Even with all of our struggles last year we are a few plays in the redskin and/or Philly game away from winning the division. I believe a healthy Nicks solve most of our issues on offense. It opens up the running game, Cruz, our TEs and allows WRs to get open faster thus improving our pass protection. Eli was also off last year. I expect more of the 2011 version of him that is more than enough to lift his surrounding cast to the division title.

JimStoll says:
    July 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    good post
    I agree with everything you say
    the one add on I would make takes off from your comment regarding the job Haslett did last year covering up the skins defensive weaknesses, and it is this: Haslett is a plus for the Skins; Fewell is a minus for the Giants

in a division where all 4 teams are likely to be between 6-10 and 10-6, that could be a big factor

nothing we can do about it, but let’s just hope we’re not looking outside in at the end of the season because Fewell once again game-planned us into a bend bend bend, break defense

GOAT56 says:
    July 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    I think with a healthy Eli we never do worse than 8-8 and we haven’t in a full year with him under center. So we are 8-8 or better just by having Eli which makes us at worse a contender for the division.

BigBlueGiant says:
    July 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    Yeah, i dont see that with Dallas. I see them taking the division Personally and being much improved.

Those CB’s you talk about meant for Ryan’s defense will be even better in a much better coaches scheme. Their LB’s, Secondary and D-line fit better in Monte Kiffen’s 4-3 Tampa 2, IMO. They have a strong passing game and running game. I see them being the team to beat in the division.

The redskins will be good, but I see them falling off of last year’s success. Teams will have figured out the pistol and who knows how RG3?s knee will hold up. Their defense will be better as well, as Carriker and Orakpo are returning from injuries.

The Eagles will be better as well. They improved their defense, and that offense might come to life in Kelly’s scheme whatever adjustments he has made for the NFL. you have to think they’ll be better than 4 games.

As for us…. I see our defense being our Achilles this year. I see us missing the playoffs, and finishing 3rd in the division.

GOAT56 says:
    July 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Those CBs are man to man guys and now are going to play zone much like the complaints with Webster. Ware and Spencer have never played DE in the NFL. I feel that’s an underplayed adjustment. If this same defense had Ryan back I would like them a lot more. With 2 man CB and their pass rush with some better safety and LB play. Plus their DTs aren’t great either.

GOAT56 says:
    July 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    I think the redskins defense over achieved last year and the end of the year. This year they do have more players but still are very subpar in the secondary. I think Carriker is a JAG and his presence won’t mean anything. Orakpo is a very good player and that position will be better but I thought Rob Jackson played well in his place so the rise in play won’t be as much as it would seem.

The point I forgot to add is while many Eagle fans are happy Reid is gone that fact is that Philly has been our toughest competitor for the last decade. Dallas and Washington have shown no ability to win consistently. We are the most proven team, QB, Coach, GM, etc. in this division. There is no reason that anyone should feel we can’t win this division. And given the recent history of Washington and Dallas to me there’s no reason why anyone should feel like less than those two teams. Philly is a wildcard but I think they are less dangerous than if they had Reid because he always seemed to bounce back.

Good for Tynes … he was a part of two Superbowls … hope he makes out.

Good for Tynes, and good luck to him, although I’d have preferred he went elsewhere. I cannot stand the Bucs, who have graduated into my least-liked basket of teams that includes our Division rivals, the Niners, and the Jets.

I largely agree with GOAT.

First, this mythology that Chip Kelly will take the NFL by storm is likely to last about a month into the season. Rookie coaches have more to learn than rookie players. I don’t see the Eagles doing much, though they should be better than the dispirited bunch of last season.

The Dallas defense is still suspect, and when do the analysts start suggesting Witten is getting long in the tooth like they do for most other players (not EVERYONE is Tony Gonzalez…he’s once-in-a-generation)? New defensive coordinator, a head coach who still seems unsure of himself, and a quarterback who has seemingly never made the big play in a big spot. They’ll be better, but they don’t scare me much.

I think the Redskins are unlikely to repeat, but I also think their defense may be one of the few that will give us problems. It just seems Haslett has Gilbride’s number. They guessed right on a huge percentage of plays last year against us. But let’s see how they do when Eli has more than two good targets and can make them choose their poison. Nicks’ condition last year allowed Haslett to stay deep on Cruz so as to compress the field, and then flood passing lanes that receivers didn’t do a great job of clearing. And it seemed Fletcher was in every hole into which we tried to run. I doubt we’ll see a repeat of that defense.

I think we’re in the middle stages of our annual underestimation of the Giants around here among many. They DO have a number of questions floating above them. But the potential answers are a lot more numerable than outside analysts realize (how many of them have even considered the potential of Ojomo, a healthy Rivers, Hill and a one-year-more-experienced Hosley?). I think there’s a general underestimate of Randle and Myers, and practically no one other than real Giants fans knows a thing about Robinson, and Moore, and Hankins, and Pugh, and Mosley and so on. I don’t know what kind of a year it will be. I want to see more in camp. But I wouldn’t underestimate this team and its chances to win a division that is replete with uncertainty.

4.  nygiantfanatic4life says:

wow can we have some faith?