New York Giants TE Coach Mike Pope Speaks on Brandon Myers, Adrien Robinson

June 27th, 2013 at 1:40 PM
By Doug Rush

When the New York Giants lost tight end Martellus Bennett in free agency, Jerry Reese didn't panic that he lost a key part of the offense to the Chicago Bears. Instead, he looked to the free agent and plucked away one of the best targets from the Oakland Raiders.

In what some have called one of the Giants best moves of the off-season, they signed Brandon Myers to a four-year, $14.25 million deal and will be the new starting tight end for the team in 2013. With the Raiders in 2012, Myers had 79 catches for 806 yards and four touchdowns playing in an unproductive Raiders offense. Now playing in a high-octane Giants offense that will score a lot of points, Myers should see plenty of passes his way from Eli Manning.

On Wednesday, Giants.com caught up with current tight end coach Mike Pope and they discussed what Myers has brought to the Giants, along with backup tight end, Adrien Robinson and the progress he has made since his rookie season of a year ago.

Tell us about Brandon Myers and what he has brought to the Giants offense.

"He's replacing a player who was here for one year in Martellus Bennett we looked at the free agent market who could get us production in the passing game. He had 79 catches in that offense and felt  he was the best player to fill that void. Our biggest concern was him learning our offense, especially since over the last four years, he had four different offenses and coaches in Oakland. We've been trying to get him to forget the stuff in Oakland and learn our schemes and blocking sets. But so far, we really like what we see and glad he's here."

What about Adrien Robinson, who we haven't seen much on the field. How has he progressed since being drafted.

"Adrien was in that group who didn't know much about working with a tackle or handling double teams, so it has taken some time to learn and develop. His speed and athletic kills hasn't developed like he hoped and he was thinking through every single play, which was slowing him down. Now he's developing confidence and these last few weeks have been some of the best in his Giants career, but he's still developing."

Robinson was drafted by the Giants back in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft out of Cincinnati, just a month after the team signed Bennett to be the starting tight end. After being picked by Reese, he was referred to as the "JPP of tight ends," but the 24-year-old has not seen much of the field, as he only played in two games and has yet to record a catch in the NFL.

photo credit: jacorbett70 via photopin cc

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Brandon Myers, Football, Martellus Bennett, Mike Pope, New York, New York Giants, NFL

20 Responses to “New York Giants TE Coach Mike Pope Speaks on Brandon Myers, Adrien Robinson”

Pretty sure this is a clear indication that those who think Robinson will displace Myers any time soon are going to be unhappy. He’s going to hopefully be a terrific #2 tight end if called upon in that capacity, and use this season to learn what he needs to know to play in the Giants’ offense the way they’ll need him to do so.

2.  norm says:

“The Pats HAD to know about the charge of armed robbery before they drafted him.”

For the record, it should be noted that the morally upright Giants front office pretty much did the same thing last year when they brought Janzen Jackson into camp as a UDFA:

“As a freshman, Jackson was arrested for armed robbery (the charges were later dropped) and reportedly failed a few drug tests. It led to his dismissal from the Volunteers program and was a major blow to his NFL Draft status.”

Yes, the Giants eventually wound up releasing Jackson. Not for his bad character but because he sucked as a player. But his addition to the team should at least put to rest your contention that the Pats were beyond the pale for drafting a young man who had similarly been accused of armed robbery.

I specifically referenced that as really bad form from the Giants (although I said his name might have been Jenkins, not Janzen). It’s wrong in ALL cases and I certainly hope the Giants will not stoop to that level ever again. That doesn’t excuse the Pats at all, nor does it advance your argument.

But there’s no point in continuing to fence here. I’m really angry that the general reaction to Hernandez on the part of a lot of people, and the reaction to the Patriots’ behavior, is not entirely condemnatory. I consider it a really sad commentary on the state of the society and the nature of football fans. I will insist to the end that there is no “slippery slope” here. Hernandez’s behavior, and that of the Pats (again, as I’ve said, after he SHOT someone in his car), is a breach in civil society that is so deep and horrible that it should be recognized as such and not turned into discussions of the culture of football. I hear your argument. I just do not agree with it.

btw, I recognize that you’ve condemned that behavior. I just think your argument about the NFL culture is a dangerous one in unsophisticated minds. Your ability to make the distinction won’t be shared by all.

3.  GIANTT says:

What irritates me is that obviously the idea that Robinson isnt quite ready for the big show has been the Giants thoughts for a while . So why would they let Bennett go then if Robinson wasnt ready ? What was the money difference between what Bennett got and what the Giants paid Myers ?.

4.  CT GIANT says:

Myers deal was fr, 4 years, BUT after 2013 all are “voidable” so Bennett’s deal was in both the lenth and guarenteed money, Reese was not giving up, of course that’s an assumption.
    CT GIANT

I loved the Black Unicorn. But I’ll take Myers to catch a pass in the end zone late in the fourth quarter in Red Zone offense over Bennett. His hands are better. His contract is also more flexible, so if Robinson comes on as they hope he will they may not need Myers after 2013 or 2014. Bennett wanted a real long-term deal and got it.

6.  norm says:

Bennett’s deal with the Bears is for 4 years, $20 million – $9 million of which is guaranteed. Per the Chicago Tribune his cap hit this year will be $1.94 million.

That’s a far cry from the $725,000 that the cap-strapped Giants are scheduled to pay Myers this year. So there’s really no comparison between the two deals.

I’d even add that comparing Myers to Bennett as players is not a strictly apples-to-apples one. They are two very different players. The Unicorn was a first rate blocker who had somewhat suspect hands. Myers is just the opposite. I suspect that the Giants will largely look to Robinson to replace Bennett’s contributions as an in-line blocker (the role he was asked to play in college at Cincy) while Myers will be used more as a safety valve in the passing game.

Agreed, but I think that Myers can get down the seam pretty well too (something that they asked Bennett to do last season). That could be a great way to clear some space for Cruz and Nicks, and even to open opportunities for Wilson and Brown out of the backfield.

And at this point in his career Eli should be able to make any reasonably capable tight end look pretty good.

Speaking of tight ends, will we all be able to root against Jake Ballard if we play the Patriots when we know what he did for us and know that he played in the Super Bowl despite knowing he was risking a serious ACL tear by doing so?

The two catches that seemed the most important to me in 2011 prior to the playoffs was Cruz’s catch-and-run against the Jets and Jake’s incredible catch down the seam against the Pats in Foxboro, without which catches we never get to the postseason much less win a title. I don’t think I could root against Ballard. Even wearing that revolting uniform.

I’m not so sure that mulit-year projects … like Robinson … are worth the effort. Successful teams leverage cap-friendly rookie contracts by finding players who can contribute early. It’s no accident that several playoff teams were led by QBs on rookie deals … and had several other starters in the same situation.

Take Robinson. First year … nothing. This year … hopefully some progress, and maybe #2 TE duty. Next year … maybe he breaks out and fulfills his potential. Then … contract year … full of the usual BS … (see Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz).

I’m just not convinced it’s worth it any more.

•  norm says:

To be fair, Robinson was a late fourth rounder.

You’re not going to find too many plug ‘n’ play types at that point of the draft. So I’d think that’s exactly when you’d want to consider rolling the dice on a project who can hopefully be groomed to outplay his draft position in a year or two’s time.

That said, I’m completely on board with the idea of never again spending a 1-3 pick on a not-ready-for-prime-time project. No more Marvin Austins, please.

9.  GIANTT says:

I want to thank all of you who answered my question each in a different fashion so that I got all the info I needed in a very short time .
    This is why I continue to read and post on what is to my mind the site with the best and most inside info on the Giants .

Krow , I can understand your frustration with the Giants way of doing things but I think if you look at the results it should provide some degree of solace . Last year was a “poor ” (says me ) but it was 9-7 which put the Giants midpack so one really cant complain about the way they handle things

10.  F0XLIN says:

I think Brandon Myers may be in for a huge season if Nicks stays healthy. With so much attention the defense will bring towards Nicks and Cruz it’s really going to open things up for him, especially if he has the jets to get down the seam.

I’m thinking a Dallas Clark type season when Harrison and Wayne were drawing all the doubles for Peyton