New York Giants Remain in the Hunt for Free Agent LB Desmond Bishop

June 21st, 2013 at 5:09 PM
By Paul Tierney

Earlier today, several news outlets reported former Green Bay Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop's interest in joining the New York Giants, as well as the Minnesota Vikings, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Jacksonville Jaguars. Apparently, the Jaguars have been eliminated from the equation.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network tweeted this afternoon that Bishop is mulling offers from the Vikings, Chiefs and Giants, which slightly narrows the list of possible destinations. There is no buzz surrounding the notion of Bishop returning to Green Bay at a reduced price tag, an idea that Bishop himself publicized on Sirius XM radio yesterday. It's expected that Bishop makes his decision in the very near future, potentially by the end of the weekend.

For the Giants, Bishop would become the immediate favorite to win the competition for the starting middle linebacker spot. If his hamstrings are healthy, Bishop would be by far the most experienced and athletic inside linebacker on the roster. At 28 years old, signing Bishop to a one-year deal for the veteran minimum would be yet another coup for general manager Jerry Reese in an offseason filled with low risk, high reward acquisitions.

For the Giants, signing Bishop is has little to do with fit or scheme, but is more so about just adding bodies to a linebacker corp. that is devoid of proven talent. The team is hoping that the immense athleticism possessed by the likes of Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams and Spencer Paysinger develop into sustainable production, but there are no guarantees that either player works out.

Bishop is a veteran leader, who if healthy, can bring a sense of stability to the team's weakest unit. With the revamped defensive tackle corp., the middle of the Giants defense could transform from one of the team's most vulnerable aspects, to one of the best in the NFL. The waiting game may be coming to an end sooner rather than later, and the Giants could end up with a low-key, yet tremendously important acquisition if Bishop decides to don Blue in 2014.

photo credit: elviskennedy via photopin cc

Tags: Desmond Bishop, Football, Green Bay Packers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Jacquian Williams, Jerry Reese, Kansas City Chiefs, Keith Rivers, Minnesota Vikings, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Spencer Paysinger

8 Responses to “New York Giants Remain in the Hunt for Free Agent LB Desmond Bishop”

1.  BillyS says:

I’d love to get him. I like Herzlich, but I just don’t feel he’s the answer as a starter. Bishop offers more upside and would make us a better team. So while Herzlich is a great feel good story, I still think Bishop is the better fit.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Bishop would be an IMMEDIATE upgrade to our LB core. Kid can play.

3.  rlhjr says:

I trust both of your pronouncements about Bishop. My reservation has to with the severity and prognosis of his hammy(s).

This team leads the way in players riding bikes with the same or similar injuries. If he does settle for what Reese is willing to pay him, I hope there is an “out” that will cover the team in the event the guy is still injured or he is chronically hurt.

That said, I think both KC and Minn. have the money required to pay him.
    I understand why he passed on JAX. Also, I would love to see Herzlich be the man in the middle. But I know full well in the NFL talent talks, everything and everybody else walks.

4.  Dirt says:

Speaking of linebackers, it’s good to see one who is working out right now, during this time period that translates to vacation for some:

@JayGlazer: Great work today w @ChuckLiddell and @solo_dolo_9s @MarcedesLewis89 Cassius Marsh, Keith Rivers, cooper Gibson

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Glazer’s got all those dudes doing his MMA workouts.

•  Dirt says:

I know. Which is good. He could be sitting on a beach.

•  BillyS says:

That shows a player who wants to improve. It’s one thing to have potential; it’s another thing to actually try to tap into it. Rivers may be very injury prone, but at least nobody can knock him for lack of effort. He’s one of those guys that wants to improve and it’s not as if he enjoy getting money just to sit on the bench (as opposed to playing). Hopefully he can stay healthy because we’re a better team when he’s 100%.

•  rlhjr says:

I agree. And good for Rivers. Hopefully he can build his strength and flexibility enough to keep him on the field a full season. His athleticism jumped out at me the limited time I saw him in the first Cowturd game last year. But I saw nothing special after that. Most likely because he was once again hurt. It would be special if he and Curry played up to potential.
            The linebacker unit would be deep and flexible beyond belief.
            Rivers is a big fast dude. He could be a playmaker if he can remain physically fit.