June 20th, 2013 at 12:50 PM

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ It's a mid-June day before the start of NFL training camps in July, so that means more lists! This time, by way of NFL Network, we look at the Top 25 Edge Rushers in the league. And sitting there at No. 7 is New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who has found himself on many offseason lists thus far.

"JPP might have the highest ceiling of the whole group if he recovers well from back surgery and learns more veteran guile," Gregg Rosenthal writes.

The six players listed ahead of JPP include: Denver Broncos' Von Miller, Green Bay Packers' Clay Matthews, Miami Dolphins' Cameron Wake, Baltimore Ravens' Terrell Suggs, Dallas Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware and San Francisco 49ers' Aldon Smith.

Unfortunately for JPP, how well he does on the field in 2013 will directly tie into how well his back heals after a recent microdiscetomy to repair a herniated disc. An early timetable had him at about 12 weeks before he could return to football-related activities, but head coach Tom Coughlin doesn't seem too confident that he'll be able to play in week one.

Ultimately, all the talent in the world means little if you can't stay healthy, so as high as his ceiling may be, JPP will have to stay on the field to realize it.

Tags: Aldon Smith, Clay Matthews, DeMarcus Ware, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Suggs, Tom Coughlin

15 Responses to “NFL Network Ranks Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul as One of Best Edge Rushers in the League”

1.  sonnymooks says:

Didn’t a stat based group argue that JPP wasn’t an “elite” edge pass rusher ?

That said, to me, he is already one of the best all around DE’s in football, period.

I also think he tends to pass rush the “hard way” (which is something I think experience and good coaching will correct) which is frankly amazing that he generates such a rush doing so.

He’s only touched the tip of his potential, and he has some much ability to get better…..

The surgery he’s having does NOT generally predict future back problems and is generally thought to have only about a 10% chance of resulting in follow-on issues. That analysis comes directly from a friend of mine who is considered one of the best back specialists in New York.

I think JPP’s future is dependent upon his work ethic, not the condition of his back. This kid should wind up being a superstar. In fact, a young trio of JPP, Hankins, and Moore sure looks to me like the core of a terrific defensive front over the next five years, especially when you add the potential of Ojomo and the possibility of another contract for Kiwi.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The issue is that JPP has had chronic back problems since college. So… There’s that.

True, but it appears that the problem might have simply been this intrusion of a small segment of the disc that can be removed without jeopardizing the integrity of the rest of the disc. If successful the surgery apparently makes it not much more likely that he will have disc problems (at least for years) than is the case for any NFL defensive lineman who has never had a procedure. According to my friend there’s a 10% chance that the removal creates some imbalance that could result in the remaining disc being pushed out into the nerves again, but that usually does not happen for years if at all.

Of course, all of us laymen will still worry until we see this guy healthy and returned to form. As we should.

3.  Rosedale Is Back says:

Anytime a player has back surgery or anyone has back surgery your not going to be the same period. JPP in my eyes isn’t measured only on sack stats which is an overrated stat It’s what he does in the run game and making tackles. All these Simeon Rice’s and Dwight Freeney are one trick ponys all they can do is sack get 18 sacks and 36 tackles that means nothing give me Strahan White boy from The Vikings give me 16-19 sacks but also get me 65 tackles bat some balls down be a football player and that’s what we have in JPP let’s just pray he can get that 2011 form back. But him elevating to higher levels dont see it happening after getting cut.

•  norm says:

Professional football players, even those in the most physically punishing positions, can undergo back surgery and return to the gridiron, researchers at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine report in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

“They aren’t broken, they aren’t more fragile after surgery,” orthopedic surgeon and lead author Dr. Joseph K. Weistroffer told Reuters Health.

To see how well elite NFL players fare, the researchers gathered information about linemen on team rosters between 1982 and 2009 from various sources including press reports, team injury reports, newspaper archives, team records and individual players’ profiles. Only those NFL linemen diagnosed with a herniated disk in at least two independent sources and one official league injury report were included.

Of the 66 players included in the study, 14 were treated non-surgically and 52 treated with surgery. Of those treated surgically, 42 (81 percent) returned to play in at least one game, although most played an average of 33 games over 3 years.

The success of surgical treatment in NFL linemen was “significantly better than we expected,” the authors write.

“What’s remarkable is that many of these players not only returned to play, they returned to starter positions,” Weistroffer said.

•  rlhjr says:

This kid (JPP) is multi talented. His ability to play the run especially in space is jaw dropping. With “ANY” legitimate threats playing alongside him he becomes pretty much unblockable. And yes, he does rush the passer the old fashioned way. That is he escorts the offensive tackle (left or right) to the QB, then pounces on the QB.

Once he starts mixing that up with beating the OT to his spot with his speed and quickness, (like Osi) he’ll be double unblockable. But he can’t (again like Osi) resort to the “Road Runner” technique every down or they will soon run inside of him by design. The way he rushes now (similar to Strahan) he’s a offenses worst nightmare. But if Fewell would scheme to either isolate him or create a free run to the QB for him…..look out NFL and especially NFC East.

I still do not know what region of his back is the issue. But the higher (toward his head) it is, the better chance he has of not having a chronic issue.

Also, I hear your Rosedale. But I’m almost sure they did not cut him. There are plenty of non invasive options to use. It would have to be really bad for them to use a scalpel now a day’s brother. I get the impression his issue is minor. But I agree that nothing is “minor” with a back until proven so.

I heard static about Aaron Hernandez early (5AM) this morning on my way to work.

What exactly is the deal? Not authorized to use radio or cell phone in my building. So whatever I hear during the day comes from you guys or at 2:45 when the let me out of my cage.

You’re right about his potential.

Hernandez is in deep doo-doo, likely to be arrested in relation to a murder that appears to have been of someone he was involved with and quite possibly committed by associates of his who were in HIS car with both the victim AND Hernandez before the victim went missing. Hernandez has previously been accused of shooting someone in the face while sitting in his car with him. It appears that this guy is very bad news.

4.  norm says:

If recent history teaches us anything, it’s that what we “know” to be true about the effect of specific injuries and medical procedures on the playing careers of professional athletes is never fixed; it’s constantly evolving.

Why, it wasn’t all that long ago when a torn ACL meant a death knell for an NFL or NBA career. Today, an Adrian Peterson can suffer that same injury and then go on to nearly break the NFL single season rushing record in the following year.

When Andre Brown ruptured his Achilles in camp in 2009, several people here linked to a then recently published medical journal article discussing the poor outcomes for NFL players who attempted to return from such an injury. That led me to believe that the prognosis for Brown was extremely poor – and I openly scoffed at anyone here who suggested otherwise. Lo and behold – four years later he will be battling for the starting RB job in the Giants camp this year.

As did Rosedale and many others here, I reflexively recoiled when I heard “JPP” and “back surgery” used in the same sentence. But now I know better than to completely surrender to the wholly understandable belief that he will never again be the same player that we saw in 2011. As the medical study referenced above states, outcomes for NFL lineman following back surgery are surprisingly good. And that was based on data that is now four years old. I suspect that advances that have been made since then would indicate an even better prognosis for JPP than was possible for many of the players in that Northwestern University study.

•  rlhjr says:

I hear you Norm. Ten years of medical advances is like a century.
      I mean stuff changes daily even hourly in medicine.
      It’s just amazing.

I remember “Tommy John” was thought to be a freak of nature.
      Now that surgery is run of the mill.