June 18th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Although they are considered long shots, the New York Giants remain in the hunt for All-Pro fullback Vonta Leach, who said late last week he would make a decision on where he will sign sometime over the next two weeks. In addition to the Giants, six other teams have expressed interest in his services, including his former team, the Houston Texans, and the Miami Dolphins, with whom he visited shortly after being released by the Baltimore Ravens.

“I feel great,” Leach told The Daily Reflector on Friday. “I know I can play in this league and I’ve got some teams that are courting me. In the next two weeks, I know where I’ll be playing.”

The Giants inquired with Leach almost immediately upon his release and later discussed possibilities with his agent, but due to their tight salary cap situation, it appears as if they'll be outbid by teams with much more available cap space. And although Leach has had the Giants on his radar in the past, he seems to be leaning in the direction of his former team, the Texans.

The one luxury the Giants do have on their side is that they're a "win now" kind of team, whereas other teams like the Dolphins are not. And since Leach is looking at this as if it will be his last NFL contract, they might have a fighting chance. Might, of course, being the keyword.

“There are a lot of teams out there that want me, about seven teams,” Leach said. “Me and my agent are going to take our time and see what’s the best fit for me. I’m probably going to play three more years before I hang it up.”

Chances remain slim-to-none, but anything is possible.

photo credit: The Brit_2 via photopin cc

Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Football, Houston, Houston Texans, Miami, Miami Dolphins, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Vonta Leach

17 Responses to “Vonta Leach Will Decide on New Home Over Next Two Weeks; New York Giants in the Mix”

If Leach with some very good opportunities is considering us it makes you wonder about Hynoski. For us to pay enough money to compete with those other teams makes me think they don’t feel like he will be ready for the start of the year and will begin the season on PUP.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Well, they’re not really spending enough money to compete. They are merely hoping his desire to win and play for the team impacts his decision. If this was (and may very well be) a straight money issue, they stand no shot.

•  Krow says:

I also think that Hynoski is a PUP candidate. But somehow I can’t see us putting up the cash it’ll take to sign Leach. Especially with a desperate bottom feeder like Miami in the mix. They have a lot of cap … a ‘win now’ attitude … and they need a successful 2013 or will face the wrath of the fans and the ownership.

Add to it that Leach already has a ring … and Miami is a nice warm town with lots of appeal. Not happening.

•  Kevros says:

Totally agree. I think the signing of Leach would be a sign that Hynoski is going to be IR’d. I can’t imagine Leach is going to want to sign with a team that is going to replace him a few weeks into the season. That being said, I don’t think Leach does sign with us. He can get more money and undisputed playing time elsewhere…

It ain’t gonna happen. Too bad, because with our receivers and QB and Leach leading our two backs into the holes this would be an unstoppable offense. It will already be an awfully good one with Hynoski/Pascoe as the fullback, but with Leach it would get ridiculous.

3.  LUZZ says:

Sunshine Stoll – Feds and state will tap Victor on the shoulder for about 49% not 40%.

39.5% – fed
    4.3% – ACA
    5% – State – not sure what NY/NJ state tax is but assuming it’s at least 5%.

•  Krow says:

Of course there are various mitigating strategies that rich patriots and loyal American corporations use to avoid paying taxes to the country they love so hard and so loudly.

•  JimStoll says:

no one pays stated rates

•  Sonny Mukhopadhyay says:

Cruz isn’t a corporation and the Giants aren’t paying “Cruz Inc”.

Employees like Cruz get hit harder with taxes then say an investor or corporation that can use various loopholes.

A good accountant can pull alot of tricks out of their bags depending on what it is you do and how you do it, but football players don’t have as many opportunities to take advantage of those tricks.

Irony of ironies, the owners of say a football team, can wind up paying less in taxes then the players on said football team, regardless of the size of the contract.

I.E. You and me may make the same amount of money, but you may pay a hell of alot more in taxes while I might pay a hell of alot less.

4.  GIANTT says:

So , those other teams , “knowing” the Giants are interested , have to pay more than vet minimum for sure . Leach should be happy that the Giants “are in the mix ” thus forcing his money off the barrel bottom fpr whoever signs him .
    I honestly dont see the Giants signing him – I think Pascoe and A.N.Other will fill the gap until Hynoski returns .

This will be the first time in three seasons that Snee, Baas and Diehl enter camp fully healthy. I do not think most fans realize that, nor do they realize what that could mean.

Barring injury the 2013 offense can take this team a long way.

The defense may be unsettled, but there’s even a chance they will come together too. I think two things are critical there. If Herzlich wins the starting job he will have beaten out Connor, whom we know is at least an average NFL inside linebacker. That would mean that Herzlich is “better-than-average” and a future fixture at the position, likely to get progressively better as the season transpires. The other big issue is whether Corey Webster can come back from a disastrous season to play well enough to cover #2 receivers, and whether Fewell will have Amukamara switch to the #1 corner spot.

If those two things work out I think we’ll be okay on defense. If we’re “okay” on defense we should be in the thick of the race for the championship, with the added advantage of knowing it would be played for in our building. I’m starting to see the Giants as a sleeper team in 2013. I think most pundits will figure that San Francisco, Green Bay, Atlanta and and Seattle are the NFC powers and that Washington is the NFC East favorite with the Cowboys as second choice. They will feel the Giants have “too many questions”. Fine with me. I think a lot of the questions will be answered pretty well. They may still be a year away, but I’m starting to really like this 2013 team.

I’m not normally negative but why would we think Bass or Snee or going to be healthier when they haven’t done anything. I hope all three are healthy I just don’t think that’s a given yet with Bass and Snee.

I also thought it was interesting you though Diehl would start at guard or were you just naming players?

I don’t think Herzlich starting means he’s better than Conner. I think Conner has to beat Herzlich out, it’s not a completely fair fight. But I do have hope that Herzlich can be above average.

•  Kevros says:

I think Herzlich starting means that he is better than Connor in this defense, right now. I absolutely think it’s a fair fight, it’s just that Herzlich has a head-start on the playbook and with relationships with everyone on D. If Connor is better by the end of camp, then he will start, but I have a feeling that they are about equal physically and Herz’s leadership will elevate him to being a decent MLB for us…

This article made me think about what he could bring to the table for us. Not too different than Cribbs but I think Hester is more dynamic but not the all round special teams player Cribbs has been. I don’t know if we would give up a draft pick but if he’s on the market we have to consider it. I think Jerigan and some other player will give us good enough KR/PR to succeed this year. But Hester is a HOF level PR/KR guy. We brought in Brain Mitchell and Hester is younger and better than Mitchell was when we had him.