June 6th, 2013 at 7:45 AM
By Doug Rush

Unless you're a die-hard New York Giants fan, the name Adrian Tracy isn't a common one to the average fan like Osi Umenyiora or Jason Pierre-Paul. Yet, because of Umenyiora leaving as a free agent to sign with the Atlanta Falcons and JPP's surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back, Tracy is going to use the summer to try and improve his spot on the team and move up on the depth chart for 2013.

'New York Giants iPhone wallpaper' photo (c) 2009, xploitme - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Mathias Kiwanuka is expected to see a lot of the first team reps on defense in JPP's spot, according to Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN New York, which means Tracy moves up and will see in increase of playing time, especially during the team's OTA's.

"It is big not only for me but for everybody," Tracy said last week of the opportunity to move up. "Somebody of that stature leaves for whatever reason, an opportunity always opens. Whoever seizes it will step in that place and hopefully that is me this year."

The former sixth-round pick of the Giants from the 2010 NFL Draft has very limited playing time with the team, recording just one sack in 16 games over the three years, but that could change for the guy they refer to as "Yosi," or "Young Osi."

"I am very confident in my skills and my abilities," he said. "And I think the coaches recognize my versatility and what I can bring to the table."

His best game as a professional was when the Giants defeated the San Francisco 49'ers, who went on to become NFC Champions, 26-3 at Candlestick Park back in October. Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell mixed Tracy into the defensive line rotation and he responded with four tackles and one sack.

Tracy will not be the only player looking to move up on the depth chart this summer with JPP sidelined, as the Giants also have Adewale Ojomo and Justin Trattou fighting for a roster spot, plus third-round draft pick Damontre Moore will be looking for playing time in his rookie season.

Back in 2007, Michael Strahan was a summer hold out due to a contract dispute, which lead to Justin Tuck getting snaps with the first team defense and allowing him the opportunity to show the Giants what he could do. Even when Strahan came back to the team, the Giants knew they had a star with Tuck and were able to form one of the best pass rushes in team history, which helped them get to and win Super Bowl XLII.

Maybe Tracy gets an opportunity like Tuck did six years ago and seizes the chance this summer for the Giants.

Tags: Adrian Tracy, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, New York, New York Giants, NFL

8 Responses to “New York Giants DE Adrian Tracy: “I Think the Coaches See What I Can Bring to the Table””

1.  JimStoll says:

DE is suddenly turning into perhaps the most interesting unit of the summer
    No Osi; No JPP; can Tuck rebound?; will Moore burst onto the scene?;was Ojomo a pre-season phenomenon only or the second coming of Victor Cruz?; is Tracy finally ready and able to contribute on a regular basis?

When you stop and think about, the guy who has the least question marks around him heading into the season is the guy who has played far more LB than DE over the past 2 seasons

gonna be interesting

Agreed. The competition here, as well as at wide receiver, along the offensive line and at the defensive tackle spots should be fun to watch. This camp is going to have more legitimate competition for spots than has any for a long time, and that’s a very good thing.

The only frightening thing is that the competition for positions at cornerback pits a lot of question marks against each other. I think at all of those other positions the team will come out of camp very strong. Out of the competition at the corner we have to cross our fingers that they will emerge with four corners who can be relied upon and one who is good enough to be #5 on the depth chart. No guarantees here at all.

•  giankees says:

Lookin for a cap casualty to fall in our laps during camp really late. I agree with you 100pct

2.  F0XLIN says:

Ojomo “flashing” or “showing promise”or becoming the next g101 Hall of Famer has been debated around here for the last few months. Some say he’s nothing more than a pre season body who had a couple sacks against 3rd stringers, others saw a talented kid out there.

I picked up Coughlins book Earn the Right to Win (which is a good motivational read) but he did focus on Cruz and Ojomo for about a page or so. He was discussing the old saying “There is no such thing as luck, it’s when great preparation meets opportunity” He first used Cruz as a great example of this back in 2010. Then went onto discuss Ojomo last summer, a kid who came in undrafted in great shape, was prepared, had 4 sacks, and between practice and pre season games, he made his presence, preparation, and talent impossible for coaches to ignore.

Just thought it was interesting to note, that the coaches are on the side of many G101′ers, that Ojomo may be more than a pre season flash in the pan

•  JimStoll says:

fingers crossed
      he was the one guy (along with Kuhn) who I was really excited about in the “out of nowhere” category
      I was psyched when Kuhn got an opportunity and actually thought he acquitted himself rather well until his injury
      Ojomo never got an opportunity due to depth
      so let’s hope this year he does
      the depth is certainly different

3.  giantsou812 says:

Giants need to get rid of the nascar.
    They need to ban backflips.
    Both cause unneeded injurys.
    Rolle needs to be moved to corner this year, To make up for the lack of starters.

•  giankees says:

I dont think you will see the nascar. I think the joker position being manned by kiwi and moore plus the additions at dt make the nascar go away. Esp with cullen jenkins being a dt pass rusher. I can see rolle at db

4.  CT GIANT says:

JPP other team-mate was indeed Adewale Ojomo, a 6’4 270lbs non stop motor, who took advantage preseason or not, of his playing time and week to week.
    I’m sure he has learned a bit from JPP, and has, I hope, his chance to move forward.
    Fan for55, makes good points, this year, pits real competion, and as time moves into camp, someone gets a job, someone gets a visit from the “Turk”.
    It will be interesting summer.
    CT GIANT