June 5th, 2013 at 12:14 PM
By Paul Tierney

Prior to the 2012 season, the Washington Redskins were the perennial laughing stock of the NFC East. While the New York Giants were developing Eli Manning into a Super Bowl MVP, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Rex Grossman and Jon Beck all consistently turned in mediocre performances at quarterback for Washington, which despite talent at several skill positions, relegated the Redskins to the basement of the division on a fairly regular basis. However, last year's arrival of Robert Griffin III rejuvenated not just a fan base that was starving for success, but a team that now has the talent to do some serious damage around the league.

'Antrel Rolle' photo (c) 2012, Ted Kerwin - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Giants safety Antrel Rolle says that he's dreading seeing Griffin take the field once he recovers fully from ACL surgery.

“I’m gonna let him take his time, get his rehab,” he continued. “I want him 100 percent. He’s a huge playmaker in this league.”

The NFL is more than just a league of 32 professional teams competing for a championship. In many respects, it's an exclusive fraternity of talented players that regardless of team affiliation, genuinely respect each other. RG3 is a great quarterback, and if healthy, he's going to wreak havoc on the Giants defense for the foreseeable future. But the bond between professional football players extends much farther than the playing field.

With a full offseason to learn how to defend the read-option offense, the Giants are going to have a more complex and effective gameplan on how to defend mobile quarterbacks next season. Additionally, Griffin is undoubtedly going to be encouraged to run less and throw more this season in order to avoid another serious injury, which will partially limit his versatility.

As talented as RG3 is, the Giants need to stop publicly bowing down to him in the media. Griffin is a great quarterback, a strong leader and if he can fully recover from surgery, will win a lot of games in the NFL. But Big Blue is going to take the field against Washington twice every season, and for Griffin to see a bevy of players singing his praises in the media is only going to give him a confidence boost when he sees those players out on the field.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFC, NFC East, NFL, Robert Griffin, Robert Griffin III, Super Bowl, Washington Redskins

11 Responses to “New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle on Robert Griffin III: “He’s a Huge Playmaker in This League””

1.  Nosh.0 says:

To me, there was no more over rated player last year than Bob Griff. From a pure talent stand point I’ll take Cam Newton over him every day.

•  F0XLIN says:

I think you may be one of very few football fans in the country who feel that way, I can’t disagree more

•  demo3356 says:

ZZZ.. I get you try to be the ultimate contrarian on everything G101 but this is a reach even for you.. I hate the Skins and am sick of the RG3 blow fest but the kid is really talented and was a better player in year one of his career than Newton was in either or both of his seasons. Newton is very talented but not a complete game Changer like RG3 is.. Pretty sure 32 out of 32 NFL GM’s would take RG3 knee issues and all over Scam Newton..

I don’t agree with Nosh that RG3 is the most overrated but some have taken his greatness too far and he maybe slightly overrated. I do agree that Cam is being way undersold by many. His talent level is on the same plane as any QB in the NFL including RG3. RG3 is better now due to his accuracy but I don’t think Cam is far off. Cam wasn’t the ready made player that RG3 or Luck were when they came out but he can be on that level if he continues to work because he has that type of talent. I think Luck, RG3, Wilson and Kaperneck playing great last year is the best thing that could have happen to Cam.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with showing respect for an opponent who fully deserves it. I remember a number of Giants making it clear how much they respected Joe Montana in the days before they went out and practically killed him in the playoffs while in their Super Bowl run.

I would, though, like to see RGIII perform well after defenses have adjusted before starting to declare him a great player. And I still believe that the quarterback who will prove the best of this generation is definitely Andrew Luck.

•  demo3356 says:

Thats right, in both SB winning seasons the Giants sent Montanan out in an ambulance in the playoffs

I disagree that we say say anything different publicity regarding RG3. No need to add fuel to the fire. We have seen how a team can be motivated by negative press with our own Giants. We should make him feel he’s already great. Saying this stuff doesn’t mean we have less confidence or show less will in trying to stop RG3. Actually, the talk about him is much like it was for Vick in 2010.

I know we are fans and we try to figure out what’s going on by what players say. But so many of these comments mean absolutely nothing.

Re: Toomer’s comments….

I always liked Amani but have been telling you guys that in the last few years of his career he was embittered and extremely unhappy about the love fest with Burress that he knew was directed at a guy who couldn’t come close to measuring up to him as a teammate or a person. He wound up feeling he had not “got his due” from the Giants and it has colored most of what he has said since. It’s too bad, because he was a terrific player and a model citizen who is now bringing himself down to a standard that should embarrass him.

The Giants treat their players extremely well. The Steve Smith saga might have turned out VERY poorly if Smith had been smart enough to sign the long-term deal Reese put in front of him. He wasn’t smart enough, he didn’t sign, and as it turned out the team dodged a bullet. But at no time did they treat him badly. In fact, had he signed with them instead of the Eagles he’d have probably sat out the first half of the season and might not have made the end of his career so inevitable.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I remember a training camp interview with Francesa after the SB and francesa was non stop gushing about Burress and you could tell it bugged Tooms big time.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

Sorry, I’m just one of the few people on here that form my own opinion and don’t just copy and paste from what other fans or media members are saying.

To me Cam Newton is Ben Rapelesberger. Minus the rape. Had you put Cam on the 2004 Steelers with Cowher and a Dick Lebeau defense his record would be much better. Unfortunately Cam got sent to a pretty bad organization in Carolina.

But here’s really why I think he’s better than Bob. At some point in an NFL career a QB needs to be able to hang in the pocket on 3rd and 11 and make a 13 yard throw into a tight window while getting hit by a Defensive lineman. I have yet to see RG3 show that skill. Cam on the other hand has shown it. That dude can deliver the order.

Now from a mental and leadership standpoint, yes RG3 is light years ahead of Cam. But physical talent, I’ll take Cam every day of the week. To me physically Cam is a Big Ben clone. Not yet sure what RG3 is. But until I see him hang in the pocket while delivering that 10-15 yard throw, I’m not gonna crown him like everyone else has.

6.  rlhjr says:

David “Decon” Jones has a long list or double digit sack seasons.
    Back in his day, the “league” did not keep stats on sacks. However, each “TEAM” did. And Decon was was paid by the “sack”.

In 1961 the 6 foot 6 inch 260 pound (Sound Familiar?) was a 14th round draft pick from Mississippi Vocational College. He had unheard of speed and agility for a man that size at that time. His 40 yard dash time was flirted with 4.4 seconds. He is arguably the first National Football League “FREAK”.

Sacks weren’t an official statistic until 1982, Jones recorded 194.5 sacks over a 14 year career. He went nine straight years with 10 or more sacks.
    Then in 1967 he compiled 226 QB slams. Then had 6 more during the Rams playoff run. He followed up the 67 season with 24 sacks. And oh yeah, he played in the 14 game season era.

You all know how much I love LT the football player. And most players who get after the QB and defend the run no matter if they stand up, put a hand in the dirt or both. Decon Jones was the Mac Daddy of sack. None like him before and none like him since. BOOK IT.