New York Giants Center David Baas Has Had “Multiple Surgeries” This Offseason

April 18th, 2013 at 4:37 PM
By Paul Tierney

'D.J. Ware (28), David Baas (64), Eli Manning (10)' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck Photography - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ The New York Giants are already thin along their offensive line, as the team will start to rely on youngsters James Brewer and Jim Cordle to provide depth or maybe even take on a starting role in 2013. Regardless, the Giants need to be healthy up front to have a successful rebound season after failing to make the playoffs for the third time in four seasons in 2012. Today, Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reported that center David Baas has had another surgery this offseason, this time on his elbow.

Earlier in the offseason, head coach Tom Coughlin said that Baas had received surgery "on his body" since the conclusion of 2012. However, Coughlin would not reveal the specific location of the procedure. This time around, Baas had bone spurs removed from his elbow.

Although Baas is not currently participating in the team's voluntary offseason workout program, he is fully expected to recover in time to be ready for training camp. While it's concerning that Baas is still experiencing the effects of last season, his availability for 2013 is not in question.

Baas did experience nagging hip, shoulder, ankle and hand injuries in 2012, and his durability has been an issue for the majority of his time with Big Blue. When healthy, he's a physical force on the interior offensive line and is an above average staring center in the NFL. If he can stay healthy in 2013, the Giants offensive line may turn into a pleasant surprise next season.

Tags: David Baas, Football, James Brewer, Jim Cordle, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

14 Responses to “New York Giants Center David Baas Has Had “Multiple Surgeries” This Offseason”

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
    April 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    GOAT, I generally agree with your view regarding rookies, but think that there are a few little variations.

IF we get a really good corner I think he will be given a real opportunity to beat out Webster or Hosley, and in any case will probably play this season at some point.

I don’t think ANYONE has absolutely tied up the second spot on the depth chart at defensive tackle, and a rookie could compete for that role if one is drafted.

We could very well see a rookie wind up as a key returner on special teams (although Wilson, Jernigan, Ross and Randle will all be looked at as the incumbents).

And of course a rookie might have a shot at starting at linebacker if he’s good enough. I do, though, think that Williams, Connor/Herzlich, and Rivers will be pretty tough to beat out and are the likely starters.

GOAT56 says:
    April 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    My point is more starting roles. At CB that’s possible but I guess I view Webster and Hosley as better than some. At DT from what we have seen with all the young DTs we have drafted it’s just hard to see. I think it’s more a positional thing with DT rather than saying our DT group is rock solid. And I trust that if Jenkins and Patterson are healthy it’s going to be hard for a rookie DT to beat them out. These guys aren’t Rock Benard.

I don’t think there’s a big role special team wise for our rookie class.

Williams is small and just might only be a nickel LB. Rivers is injury prone and if he’s banged up he can give a talented rookie a chance. Conner/Herzlich just might not be talented enough to keep a rookie off the field that has some idea what they are doing.

I like Webster and Hosley too. But a great rookie (a first or second round pick) will probably be given a chance to beat out either of them.

I tend to agree about DT but what if Reese picks one at #19? If he does that guy will be thrown into the mix because Kuhn probably starts on the PUP list, Austin has plenty to prove, and the two vets will probably get at least one of the rotational spots but might wind up as the #3 and #4 guys on the depth chart.

I don’t think they’ll WANT Wilson returning kicks this season, and if Cruz holds out then they won’t want to expose Jernigan either. That would open up a spot as a kick returner. I think either Ross or Randle will return punts but what if, for example, they took The Honey Badger in the fifth round? He’d have to be given a shot at the job.

No rookie will start at MIKE because he won’t be able to call the defense. And unless Rivers gets hurt he’s a fixture at one of the spots. Is a rookie going to beat out Williams and Paysinger? It could happen, but I think they really like those two and they’re familiar with the system.

Frankly, unless we get a real stud with #19 or #49 we should all hope no rookies start. And that is the most likely case.

I agree Wilson except for a 4th quarter or down big in a key game type situation won’t return kicks. I assume we will draft a mid to late round player who can help in both the kick return and punt return game. Murphy and Scott are options on kickoffs and I think the loser of Ross and Hosley at slot CB is an option.

I think you can pair a rookie with a Rivers or another vet that knows the defense and a rookie could start at MLB. We did that with Boley in 2011, I know jones and herzlich didn’t do well in that role 2 years ago as rookies but I expect this rookie would posses a lot more physical talent. However, I do agree a rookie is more likely to start at WLB or SLB.

Also I wonder if Rivers gets a look at MLB. For me it’s not a want a rookie to start as much as I think we need a better athlete at MLB. I think Rivers provides that and now he should know the defense well enough to be a possibility at MLB. Maybe starting Rivers at MLB, a rookie at SLB and Williams/Paysinger at WLB might be the solution for our speed issues at LB.

Baas is getting like Canty. Good player brought over when he still has plenty of football left, but cannot stay healthy. If he doesn’t give them 15-16 games this season he’ll be following Canty out the door. This guy can play, but he must stay on the field and play effectively for the entire season. Whatever O’Hara’s deficiencies were (and toward the end there were many) he had many years where he would play hurt and do it quite effectively. Baas needs to stay off any operating tables.

3.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Saw where Mayock has moved Hayden to his #1 CB in the draft today:

I still think many teams, especially in the top 10, are going to value Milliner’s experience in a pro-style system and facing the competition that he did more so than Hayden. I do think Hayden is a VERY good prospect and that he certainly warrants consideration at 19 if he is there, but I do think he is garnering a little bit of his “hype” based around his freak injury. Again, he is a VERY good player…and will certainly not be there at our pick in the 2nd round, but I do not view him as a top 5-10 player. Would love to have him…but I cannot see some team over-drafting him that much. I would say the Phins/Bucs would both be in play for CB…but it will be interesting to see.

•  kujo says:

Hayden went from a 2nd round pick to a top 10 prospect in the last 2 weeks. I’m not buying it–he’ll be drafted towards the end of the 1st round. If someone takes him over Millner, they ought to have their f’n head examined!

4.  kujo says:

Never been a fan of Baas, and I’ve never felt that he was all that good. And unless the surgery they performed on his hand involved removing the limb entirely and replacing it with the Thanos’ Infinity Gauntlet, he’s not likely to be any better than he has been, which is to say that he’s decent as a run blocker, barely adequate as a pass blocker, and not in the same stratosphere as Shaun O’Hara in terms of calling out blitzers and keeping the other parts of the OL plugged into the blocking assignments.

I agree with Krow, who agrees with the point that I’ve been making for the last 4-5 years: draft a center in the top half of the draft and get him ready for 2014, where he can replace David Baas and the $10 mil he is set to earn in the next 2 seasons.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

One name that has rarely been mentioned on here that I really like, who could fill the same OG/C need is Brian Schwenke out of Cal. Probably more of a 3rd-4th round guy…but very solid college career at both G and C. I also wouldn’t mind Khaled Holmes out of USC in the 5th or 6th round. I agree with Kujo on this though – Baas salary next year and beyond is just way too high for the production that we’ve seen out of him and as I’ve stated several times…we need to utilize this draft that is high in OL talent to really begin the retooling of this OL NOW.

•  kujo says:

Barrett. Jones.

End of problems at center, guard and right tackle.

•  kujo says:

He’d be the swiss army knife of this OL, a much better version of David Diehl, Rich Seubert and Kevin Boothe. I want him!

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

You know I am a BIG fan of Jones. I think his injury allows him to drop to MAYBE our pick at the third round. Tough to say. But yes, would LOVE that pick.

Doing a little bit more digging at the MLB position. What’s everyone’s view of AJ Klein? Seems like he is rising a bit as the draft gets nearer. I know that many on here, including myself are big Bostic fans, and that guys like Te’o, Brown, Minter are getting all the love…but this kid looks very solid. Just wondering if anyone knows much more about him or what the overall opinion is?