February 28th, 2013 at 12:45 PM

The New York Giants re-signed left tackle Will Beatty to a five-year deal worth upwards of $38.75 million on Wednesday, and it's now being reported that his base salary in 2013 will be only $1 million. The low base salary and subsequent cap hit prevent the Giants from going over the projected salary cap of $121 million in 2013, but puts them very close to it. In other words, restructures and possible releases are still coming.

“If it’s a money issue, that temptation [to hit the free agent market] would come in. But having this be my home team, I really didn’t want to go into free agency. This is the team that wanted me from college. This is the team that gave me my first chance. This team went to the Super Bowl. I saw so many great moments with this team and there are still so many more to come,” Beatty said on Wednesday.

As far as Beatty's contract goes, a source has provided The Star-Ledger with full year-by-year details, and it breaks down as follows:

• Signing Bonus – $12.5 million
  • Guaranteed – $19 million

Yearly breakdown:

•  2013: $1 million base salary (guaranteed for injury/skill/cap), $50,000 workout bonus.
  • 2014: $4.85 million base salary (guaranteed for injury/skill/cap), $50,000 workout bonus.
  • 2015: $5.5 million base salary ($650,000 guaranteed for injury/skill/cap), $50,000 workout bonus.
  • 2016: $6.625 million base salary, $50,000 workout bonus.
  • 2017: $6.775 million base salary, $50,000 workout bonus.

Note: There are a number of contract escalators written in from 2014 through 2017.

Cap hit by year:

• 2013: $3.55 million
  • 2014: $7.4 million
  • 2015: $8.05 million
  • 2016: $9.175 million
  • 2017: $9.325 million

All in all, this is a good deal for both Beatty and the Giants.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Beatty

72 Responses to “New York Giants’ Will Beatty Has $1 Million Base Salary in 2013: Full Five-Year Breakdown”

1 2 3
  1.  jfunk says:

So Beatty is a Giant through 2015 at least. Cutting him in 2015 would only save $500K against the cap.

Cutting him in 2016 would save about $3.5M against the cap.

•  jfunk says:

Check that, forgot the $650K guaranteed in 2015.

The Giants would actually net a negative cap hit by cutting him in 2015 because they would only cut $4.8M in salary while accelerating $5M in pro rated bonus.

•  jfunk says:

And by the way, the tiny little details like that are actually where the agents earn their money.

It seems like an insignificant amount of money to guarantee three years down the road, but it effectively acts as a pseudo guarantee of his whole salary.

It seems that he’s basically guaranteed the first 3 years so that’s like 24 mil. Then he will be re-evaluated for the 2016 season to see if he’s worth that 9 mil plus cap hit and same with 2017.

Repost:

Yeah as F55 stated we need to extend Eli. And as Jfunk pointed out we will at some point be hit big-time salary cap wise by Eli but that should be when he’s retired or in his last year.

I wonder though if this Brady contract set a different type of president as QBs get older. I took the Brady extension at a low number but guarantees raised to 60 mil as Brady protecting himself against age and/or injury. Look at Peyton, yes he was able to bounce back but image if that injury really ended his career and he was just cut. He would have lost a lot of money he expected to make. If Brady has a similar injury he’s protected. I wonder how Eli thinks about his later years because high guarantees help us salary cap wise but we are murdered salary cap wise if Eli ever gets injured and/or retires earlier than expected.

I know every thinks Brady is crazy for taking so much less money in aggregate but in the time value of money, money is worth more today than in let’s say 4 years. Maybe it’s a new way for NFL players to think. A real guaranteed amount with significant money up front but sacrificing possibly more money in the future. If you look at Beatty I had posted an article that project Beatty would sign a 5 year 42.5 mil deal with 16 mil guaranteed and a 10 mil signing bonus. Beatty signed for 38.5 mil with 19 mil guaranteed and a 12.5 mil signing bonus. I actually think the deal he signed is better for him even though in total he possibly losses 4 mil. NFL contracts are rarely played out so players need to get money in their hands and as much guaranteed money as they can. I think this rationale is how we will have to keep players at lower cap numbers and stay under the cap.

If you give Cruz 5 year 30 mil but guarantee 20 mil and give him 15 mil up front can that balance out him not getting the money per year he wants? That’s just a random example but I think it might have to be our solution to work around the cap with so many young players we would like to keep. But with a player like KP that’s what makes him tough to keep because it’s hard to give a possibly chronically injured player so much money upfront.

•  Krow says:

I doubt anyone expects Brady to play for $9,000,000 … ever. It’s just a device to add more years that that bonus can be spread across. It reduces the cap burden. That’s all it is.

He’s not really playing for 9 mil those years. He’s signing bonus still will be prorated and his cap number more 13-14 mil. He will be playing on a contract that he received most of the money up front and will difficult to release because of his signing bonus hitting the cap those last 2 years.

To simply yeah Peyton has a bigger contract the next 5 years but Brady is guaranteed to see 60 mil of it while Peyton has much more uncertainty. Peyton getting cut a GB showing the door to Farve shows you that anyone even all-time great QBs will be shown the door when they get too old.

•  Nosh.0 says:

So yes you are correct, money today is worth more than money tomm. However that holds more true for people / companies with a ton of capital that know how to invest. For the average athlete I imagine the peace of mind that comes with knowing your going to be getting paychecks well into the future may trump that.

I know Bobby Bonnilla is sure happy he waited 10 years to start collecting from the Mets.

By the way, is it possible to defer money in football like so many players do in baseball? If I were a player or agent I’d be screaming for this. Just going by the logic that if you’re going to make millions, and you have a choice to make them in your 20′s, 30′s , or 40′s, you’d want to make it in your 30′s or 40′s. When your’e 20-25 your’e dumb, don’t need much cash because your likely single, and immature. By 30-35 you wise up a bunch and really understand the value of money a lot more than a decade before. You realize you don’t need that 100grand car, but your daughter needs a college fund. Anyway you get the point.

So can NFL players defer money? If I were an agent I’d be pitching this to every player if it’s possible. And really, is there a safer long term investment than the NFL?

3.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

If Aaron Ross is indeed released, and we could bring him back on a reasonable deal…I think that this would be a good depth signing. Ross, when healthy, was a solid CB for us. Thoughts?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i’m with it.

•  LAFgoesON says:

At his very best, Ross was just that…solid. I’d prefer we develop a young talent that has the potential to be great at his best. But if we’re talking about Ross over someone like Tryon. I’m with it too, lol.

I have read several places the past few weeks about Brewer possibly being an option at guard and not just RT. He could be Boothe’s replacement and we still could need a RT. Interesting if true because it does re-open OT as maybe not a first round but certainly a high round possibility.

5.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

GiantsWFAN ?@giantswfan
    value there but other priorites “@jflint21: @giantswfan would Giants think about cb like Xavier Rhodes at 19?”

GiantsWFAN ?@giantswfan
    like it “@Shineonforever2: @giantswfan @thecover2squad how about DJ Fluker in the 1st round?”

GiantsWFAN ?@giantswfan
    would be wise “@mcdbito72: @giantswfan Giants still have to draft OT 1st round #bookends”

GiantsWFAN ?@giantswfan
    OL more than DB “@RoryCambo: @giantswfan so you think they’ll still draft OL? I feel like LB and secondary are our biggest needs”

Paul Dottino of WFAN seems pretty certain that the G-Men are seriously considering OL as a first round pick this year and places it as the greatest need – over CB and LB. I realize that this is the time of the year when a TON of mis-information is spread, but could make sense…especially if what GOAT56 said about Brewer moving to guard. Personally, I LOVE Fluker as a prospect…but I happen to think a guy like Xavier Rhodes provides more value, as a playmaker in the secondary, at the 19th pick.

•  wlubake says:

I would think D-line would be a likely route. This team and this front office don’t seem to target O-lineman in the draft as much as they do in free agency. I see a value FA signing at Guard or Tackle, with DL for the first round pick. I still can’t get over the idea of Margus Hunt as a project to fill in at stong-side DE after Tuck’s done (which could be as soon as 2014). He could easily get up to 290 lbs with hsi rangy 6’8″ frame and 4.6 speed. Just the type of physical freak JR has a hard time passing up (like JPP).

•  LAFgoesON says:

+1 on Rhodes

•  F0XLIN says:

My Fluker/Barrett Jones dream lives on

6.  kujo says:

With the signing of Beatty, I believe our “needs” at tackle are held at abeyance. By that, I mean that Reese will coerce Diehl into taking a pay cut and keep him around as insurance against Brewer not being ready. That latter part is key–we will NOT move on from Brewer unless and until he demonstrates that he is unable to live up to the task of helming the right side of our offensive line. They’re not going to draft someone like Fluker because he would presumably be a Day One type starter, and while that sounds great, the fact is that we drafted Brewer in the 4th round 2 years ago, and they’re not going to just toss him aside.

The sooner we all accept this time-tested approach, the sooner we’ll all be able to filter out the nonsensical “mock” predictions as they come around.

•  kujo says:

That being said, there’s no way in the world I’m giving Kevin Boothe a raise when we could just as easily draft someone relatively high–2nd, 3rd or 4th round– and have them start, pay them less, and probably be better for it.

•  F0XLIN says:

However if they don’t see the development they expected in Brewer at RT, they could slide him to guard

•  kujo says:

I doubt very much that they see him as stout enough to play guard.

•  F0XLIN says:

6’6 330 seems stout enough to me, I know the main concern of him coming into the NFL what learning to move his feet and strength, neither of which I will pretend to know his standing in both aspects of his game. He was projected as a RG though

7.  kujo says:

Ralph Vacchiano ?@RVacchianoNYDN
    Say goodbye to Ramses Barden, who told @SiriusXMNFL earlier today “it’s probably best” if he plays elsewhere next season. #NYG

8.  shmitty013 says:

Derrick Gunn ?@TheRealDGunnCSN
    league source confirming to me… that cullen jenkins is meeting with the giants right now.

•  shmitty013 says:

Mike Garafolo ?@MikeGarafolo
      Actually, Cullen Jenkins will meet with the Giants tomorrow, source says.

9.  KingAndrewXXIII says: