February 25th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

New York Giants co-owner John Mara said over the weekend that talks between the team and restricted free agent (RFA) Victor Cruz have not progressed. And although he acknowledges both Cruz and Hakeem Nicks are high priorities, he also maintains that Big Blue will not "break the bank" for the young wide receiver.

'Victor Cruz makes the catch' photo (c) 2011, Kathy Vitulano - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

"Nothing has changed," Mara said. "He’ll hopefully be back with us next year, and hopefully at some point, we’ll have an agreement with him."

Like Mara, Cruz wishes to remain with the Giants for many years to come, but while speaking with The Massachusetts Republican on Saturday, he let it slip that moving on may soon become a realistic option. Either that, or it's merely a ploy to put some pressure on General Manager Jerry Reese & Co.

“Hopefully we can end that talk soon, man,” Cruz said. “Hopefully we can get a deal done, if not with the Giants than unfortunately somewhere else, but I want to be a Giant for a long time, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Cruz also admitted that after only three years in the league, he's already beginning to look at life after football, adding that he'd like to act and possibly get into broadcasting.

“I think I’m going to get into broadcasting a little bit,” Cruz said. “To be honest, I was thinking big picture, I want to act a little bit, see if I can jump in these movies and be the first guy with a Super Bowl ring and an Oscar.”

At the end of the day (royalties to Antrel Rolle), Cruz's comments are likely just a negotiating tactic. A restricted free agent, he's not likely going anywhere in 2013, and the Giants have all of the leverage. It's not something that sits well with his agent, especially considering Mara, Reese and the team haven't been burning the midnight oil on getting a new deal done.

All that said, if Cruz's demands don't come down to earth (see: Giants, Victor Cruz Set to Resume Contract Talks; WR Expected to Seek $8-$10 Million per Year), Big Blue will let him walk after next season as they've done with other free agents in the not-so-distant past.

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

12 Responses to “Victor Cruz: “Hopefully We Can Get a Deal Done; If not Here than Unfortunately Somewhere Else””

1.  Jason McEwan says:

Don’t see the ‘oscar’ thing in the horizon with a team like JAX…you betta stay put man.

Hmmm … maybe I was wrong about Cruz. Maybe letting him walk isn’t such a bad idea afterall. Get someone who isn’t all that cranked over acting and broadcasting. Someone who’s … you know … into football.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

Honestly… i like Cruz, but he’s probably asking too much. I think he’s a great player, But I dont see him as irreplaceable. In fact, I think he might stunt Randle’s growth in the long run.

Let him walk. Get the compensatory pick for him. Let Randle Develop and give Jerkitagain a shot in the slot.

Draft a WR in the 3rd round that can grow.

4.  LUZZ says:

Would love a 1st rounder for Cruz, but doubt it will happen.

5.  demo3356 says:

doubt anyone gives up 1 #1 and gives him the money he wants so he is here this year for sure and then they can franchise him next year if they want. Cruz really has no leverage and should take the long view on this.

•  Krow says:

All this bullsh1t celebrity crap has to take away from his football. I’m not against these guys enjoying their fame … certainly not against them making money … but Victor seems consumed by it all. We may have already seen the best of him. I’m starting to wonder if investing long term cap dollars in him is all that wise. RFA his a$$ and talk next year. And if Tavon Austin is there in the 2nd then take him.

6.  jfunk says:

I don’t think Cruz will stunt Randle. Randle looks like an outside guy and Cruz is at his best in the slot.

The Giants will be eager to get Randle on the field as much as possible specifically because it frees Cruz up.

Gilbride would probably give his left nut to have Randle show up to camp prepared to play full time. If he can have a healthy and motivated Nicks, Randle, Cruz lineup on the field I think we may finally see the offense Gilbride has been bragging about for 5 years.

7.  LUZZ says:

We have no clue what the numbers are that he is being offered. I have to assume the Giants are in the 5year/35mil range. I bet Cruz is looking for 5years/50 mil. If that’s the delta, then the Giants should hold firm and let him walk after next year.

Pay Nicks, let Randle develop, get Jerigan into the plans, and draft another WR.