February 23rd, 2013 at 10:30 AM

New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese took the podium at the NFL Combine on Saturday and was in an uncharacteristically reserved mood. Despite not sharing much, and being short with most of his answers, he reiterated co-owner John Mara's recent statement that the team does not value wide receiver Hakeem Nicks over Victor Cruz.

"That's not correct. They're both good players. We don't like one more than the other," Reese said.

Reese also noted that there have been "conversations" about re-signing offensive tackle Will Beatty long-term, but that there's no news to report on that front just yet. Unlike John Mara, however, he wouldn't rule out the possibility of using the franchise tag, noting "I'd like to say we keep all our options open."

As far as depth along the offensive line, Reese acknowledged the team would look into both free agency and the NFL Draft to help fill some of those holes. For the latter, they will rely on old-school methods of analyzing prospects.

"Old-fashioned scouting is what we hang our hat on. We depend on what our eyes see," he said.

As far as free agent defensive end Dwight Freeney, who said it "would be a dream" to play for the Giants, Reese also wouldn't rule him out as a possibility, turning to his default answer on all free agents: "we will investigate everything."

Speaking of defensive ends, Reese said he recently had a sit-down with Justin Tuck and both agreed they hope he can "get back to his old form." He also refused to close the door on a possible return for Osi Umenyiora, despite reports to the contrary.

Finally, the GM wouldn't say whether or not he has approached David Diehl and Corey Webster about restructuring their contracts, and was non-committal about their status with the team heading in 2013.

Tags: Corey Webster, David Diehl, Dwight Freeney, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, John Mara, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Victor Cruz, Will Beatty

9 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jerry Reese Won’t Rule Out Use of Franchise Tag; Will “Investigate” Dwight Freeney”

1. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

repost

I’m all for drafting Xavier Rhodes, but unless Fewell has an epiphany hell be wasted just like Webster under Tim Lewis.

As an FSU fan I have watched Rhodes his whole career- he is a guy who smothers the receiver and allows very few yards after the catch. He is the perfect guy to match up with the Julio Joneses and Roddy Whites of the league (size wize). He’ll frustrate the hell out of wide outs with his size, a lot like Sherman and Browner but without the *insert adjective here*.

However, Fewell will have him playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage giving the receiver a chance to guarantee himself a 5 yard catch.

2.  CT GIANT says:

axr29: Have not seen your posts here, but totally agree, my concern is simple, Xavier hits a “home run” in the combine, and he gets picked before #19, especially since Milliner needs surgery, Rhodes is the best CB at 6’2 217lbs/
    Whether everyone thinks I’m nuts, Manti Te’o raked up 111 tackles, 49 solo, and 7 Int’s.
    He to, will move up with a good showing, and the giants obviously don’t have a MLB who can do what this kid can.
    When Reese said back when Manti story broke, “I will talk with him and see how that goes”. I don’t think that if Reese thinks the kid is honest, he shies away, if he really believes in this young kid.
    Giants have not valued a LB very high, but if Reese sees a run stopper, coverage guy, hits guys behind the LOS, why not?
    CT GIANT

3.  G-MenFan says:

“Unlike John Mara, however, he wouldn’t rule out the possibility of using the franchise tag, noting “I’d like to say we keep all our options open.”

Translation: Hey John, STFU and let me run this part of the operation, okay?

4.  shmitty013 says:

One guy I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Giants look at is Jordan Mills, the RT from Lousiana Tech. I just don’t see Reese valuing the OL that high so I can’t see him taking Fluker in the 1st round and I seriously doubt he makes it to our 2nd round pick. I think Mills could be had with our 3rd round pick and could slide in at RT and start immediately (well depending on Coughlin). Admittedly I have watched hardly any Lousiana Tech games, but I did get to watch some of the Senior Bowl practices and he did extremely well against much bigger names there. He’s also versatile and could fill in at LT, although probably doesn’t have the footwork or agility to play there long term. Many scouts also believe he has the ability to slide inside and play Guard and we know how much the Giants value versatility along the OL. If we can draft Mills in the 3rd, and a CB and DT in the 1st and 2nd round, we could get 3 starters at what I think to be are most pressing positions of need.

5.  shmitty013 says:

Ebenezer Samuel ?@ebenezersamuel
    LSU DT Bennie Logan apparently loves Giants: “I’m a Giants fan. I love the Giants. Watching their defensive line…it’s just very creative.”

6.  GmenMania says:

There are a lot of good OL prospects in this draft. It’s REALLY deep. We could probably get a starter in the 3rd round. Also, potential studs like Larry Warford and Menelik Watson will be available in the second.

One guy that’s very interesting in Terron Armstead, the OT who ran a 4.65 40 at the Combine. He’s a very athletic tackle, and has the footwork and speed to play on the left side. Not sure if he has the power to play on the right, but could be a good pick in the second or third if Beatty walks.