February 22nd, 2013 at 11:30 AM

The New York Giants have made it no secret that offensive tackle Will Beatty is one of their top offseason priorities. They've gone on record as saying they'd like to sign him to a long-term deal, and co-owner John Mara reiterated that on Thursday. However, he also remains convinced that using the franchise tag to retain Beatty is unlikely.

“Oh definitely. We want him back. I guess we could, if we wanted to, use the [franchise] tag on him, but I don’t know that I see that happening…He’s a good player. We think he’s an ascending player, and he’s somebody we’d like to have on our team.”

This is the second time in as many weeks that Mara said the team will "probably not" use the franchise tag, and with the price of a franchise offensive lineman expected to be around $9.66 million, the Giants couldn't afford to use it on him anyway.

Still, with no one waiting in the wings, the Big Blue finds themselves in a precarious position with Beatty, who was recently rated the number three pending free agent takcle by Pro Football Focus.

Tags: Football, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Beatty

18 Responses to “New York Giants Co-Owner John Mara Reiterates Desire to Keep Will Beatty in Blue”

John Mara reiterates his desire to keep in Blue. And that is a priority.

2. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Just had this sent to me and had to chuckle.

kelsto
    mort christenson : 11:07 am
    In light of the fact that Benton is an attention whoring, know nothing, wannabe insider, I guess I just want it noted for the record that he isn’t reporting anything. Nor is he the source of anything. He’s just a guy trying to create content for a website that adds nothing to the mix.

3.  Albo says:

Steve Weatherford host at WFAN. Pretty entertaining. He’s raving about Hynoski’s training regimen and thinks Hynoski’s gonna have a great year.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

You know it’s getting dull when platitudinous statements from the owner, GM, etc, are deemed worthy of a blog piece. The draft cannot come soon enough.

5.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

On one of the last threads, Krow posted the numbers for CWeb going into the season. What his salary is, the cap hit, the dead money and what we could save by cutting him.

Corey Webster

Salary … $7,000,000
    Cap hit … $9,845,000
    Dead money … $2,595,000
    If cut we save … $7,250,000

NO ONE on here can tell me that we can’t find a younger, STARTING caliber CB in FA that we couldn’t get for $7,250,000. Even if CWeb restructured to $5M annually, I still think we can find someone younger and better moving forward. I’ve always been a BIG fan of Webster’s, but I think it’s time to move on. Someone like Antoine Cason or Derek Cox could be a good fit…for less money, and could structure the contract to be back-loaded. I am still hoping we land Rhodes in the draft…but a combination of Prince, Cason, Hosley, T2 and a FA like Cason would be pretty scary for other teams.

•  Krow says:

Or we could sign Will Beatty … or Nicks … or Cruz … or Bennett … or KP.

Younger doesn’t guarantee better. Also it’s locking up salary space for years to come. I think Cweb taking a pay cut of 2-2.5 mil works for both sides. If we draft a first or second round CB then for 2014 & 2015 we have Prince, Hosley and the draft pick all under their rookie contracts as our top 3 CBs. That can allow us some freedom to spend more in another area.

6.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Krow – I agree…utilize the money to sign our own guys. But I do think we need to bring in a FA at CB. It doesn’t necessarily have to be Cason, Cox or one of the top tier guys…but we do need a little bit more depth. No one knows for sure T2 will be able to play CB ever again…with Webster’s play last year, no one knows if he will ever be able to play CB again…which, assuming we do draft one early, leaves us with Prince, Hosely, Draft Pick.

•  Krow says:

I think we both know the money would be better spent in a lot of places than Webster. We can probably sign someone for a lot less to get beat deep for TDs.

7.  rlhjr says:

REPOST:
    G Man, I really thought Osi would not be on the team last year. He served well in his tenure. Osi and the following need to wave bye bye real quick, fast and in a hurry:

Diehl
    Snee
    Tuck
    Webster

I fully understand that veteran experience is hard if not impossible to replace using rookies or young FA’s. But it’s also impossible to mimic ability and desire…AKA hunger. You can tell when it real, or being faked.
    The players named above are “perpertrating a fraud”. They need to be replaced by early round draft picks and one young vet FA.

Problem is young FA of any worth will put the team in salary cap hell again.
    or just as bad, relieve Reese of badly needed draft picks.
    So I suspect the name of the game will be to import as many young players as possiable via draft and UDFA’s and see who sticks. And I am talking this year and next. It’s really the only way to proceed. Too much money and risk involved otherwise.

The team will be treading deep water talent and salary cap wise until these guys are nothing more than a pleasant memory. No use if trying to figure out a way to hang on with some of the bums on hand. Time for new blood in key offensive and defensive areas.

Face it we all have been saying this and in some cases for over two years.
    You could see it coming. So it’s time to stop the bleeding. It’s not an easy thing to watch and some competitive ground will be lost. But the end product will be one we will all appreciate.