New York Giants’ Andre Brown Prepared to Take Over as Starter … If Called Upon

February 15th, 2013 at 9:00 AM

With the recent release of running back Ahmad Bradshaw, a door has been opened for both David Wilson and Andre Brown. And although General Manager Jerry Reese feels Wilson can take over as the "lead dog," Brown is fully prepared to assume the No. 1 role if that's what Tom Coughlin, Kevin Gilbride & Co. want.

“Oh yes, I’m going to prepare to be a starter," Brown told the New York Post. “That’s the dream job right there, to go out there and start and play for the New York Giants. I would love to do that. I’m going to put as much work as I need to put in to prepare for that role, if it happens to be me, put that faith in them that they can rely on me."

Brown understands that being handed the starting job isn't a certainty, and should Wilson win it out of training camp, he's also prepared to resume his reserve role. In other words, Brown is "all in" and prepared to do whatever he can to help the team win.

Whatever the case may be, Brown feels the young duo compliment each other well and offer two unique styles of running to an already explosive offense.

“Dave’s so explosive, he will give you that big play," Brown said. “I’m going to go in there, I’m going to grind it out, catch the ball out of the backfield and be a capable third-down back, getting the hard yards, short-yardage and goal line, I’m that guy."

After several injury plagued seasons, Brown broke-out in 2012, gaining 385 yards on 73 carries (5.3 ypc) and added an impressive eight touchdowns. Unfortunately, his career year was again cut short due to injury, having broken his fibula in a week 12 victory over the Green Bay Packers.

“My journey is tough," Brown said. “My journey taught me don’t just think everything is just going to go the way you think it’s going to go. You have to go out there and work, and when the opportunity arrives you got to seize it. It ain’t what you expect."

Staying healthy will be an important key for Brown in 2013, but if he can, expect big things. His hard-nosed running style is exactly what the Giants need and have needed for many years.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, David Wilson, Football, Jerry Reese, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

29 Responses to “New York Giants’ Andre Brown Prepared to Take Over as Starter … If Called Upon”

What a fantastic attitude. Wish we had more like this guy.

Andre Brown is a great story. I liked him a lot when he was drafted and went so far as to call him a “poor man’s Rodney Hampton”, a high compliment indeed. Then came the Achilles injury and I thought we’d never see him again unless a medical miracle occurred, which I had great doubts about. Then the guy comes back, gets shuffled through a number of teams, and winds up back with the Giants. I then suggested he had serious potential and that I liked him way better than I like Scott and met with very legitimate disagreement from many who assumed that after that injury and being unable to hang on with four different teams he had to be the back who would be cut in the end.

Well, 2012 happened and I think we all saw that this kid can play. He’s a really good, hard, runner who gets yards after contact. He has a good nose for where to run off his block in short yardage situations. He is a fluid receiver out of the backfield. He is big enough to do a good job of protecting Eli. His 2012 injury should not affect his career going forward. I think Brown will have a fine 2013, and I think he will definitely push David Wilson, both in camp and throughout the season. Always good to have your #1 runner feel someone is pushing him for playing time. Wilson is a very confident young man. Having Brown contribute a bit of paranoia in Wilson will be great for both of them and the team.

I know it sounds blasphemous after we had Earth, Wind and Fire a few years ago, but I like this one-two running back punch better than any other the Giants have had since Frank Gifford and Alex Webster. I loved Jacobs at his peak, and Bradshaw at his, but neither of them gave us what Wilson can, and Brown could play on my team any day.

•  Hanshi says:

I agree and I like Scott too. Most here don’t like Scott as much as I do but I think he’ll be a really good #3.

•  JimStoll says:

Andre Brown was clearly the best RB on the team last year. It was a crime that Coughlin and Gilbride played him so little up to the time of his injury (also a crime that he got injured in garbage time against GB)
        the broken fibula is no biggie though. unlike the achilles, coming back from broken bones (unless Joe Theismann like) is a snap

I agree with FF. Assuming health, Brown and Wilson could be an incredible tandem.
        One thing for sure, no reason to spend a draft pick at RB this year

3.  demo3356 says:

So Osi thinks he’s going to break the All Time Sack Record? I think I’m going to have a threesome with Kate Upton and Mila Kunis.. Lets see who gets lucky first..

•  BigBlueGiant says:

My dad’s favorite line to me…

” you can wish in one hand and $hit in the other… See which will be filled up first”

4.  demo3356 says:

I love Osi, one of my favorite Giants of the last decade, but that statement had New York Football Jets written all over it. It is obvious who he is catering to with talk like that. Rex Ryan upon hearing this put down his copy of Freaky Feet Bangers and called his new GM to see if he could sign Osi for him

•  JimStoll says:

problem for Osi is he can’t go to a 3-4 and thrive
      I still believe Osi can be a full time starter, and if allowed to do so will be a 12+ sack, 5+ strip fumble guy
      but it has to be on a 4-3 defense that sports strong DT’s
      give him that and he’ll be gangbusters

•  jfunk says:

It’s patently absurd statements like this that make everyone question the value of your comments.

There is no way in hell that Rex put down his copy of FFB for anything.

5.  demo3356 says:

Nosh- Love you Bro, but your wrong on Bennett. Guy is the best all around TE we have had since the Jeremy Shockey of 05-06. Guy is a great run blocker and is a better receiving option than most understand. He was on his way to a breakout monster year last year when he suffered that knee injury that hobbled him the rest of the year. If healthy and with a full year of playing with Eli under his belt he could be a top 5-10 TE in the NFL for the next 5 years. I’m starting to get the feeling that he isn’t coming back , but hope JR finds a way to keep him.

6.  demo3356 says:

Jim- I agree that Osi can be a 12+ sack, 5+ strip fumble guy.. At least for 2-3 years. He is going to get paid by someone.. Dallas is going to a 4-3 and he can bookend his former College Teammate in Demarcus Ware. The Bears have Cap Room and Julios peppers on the other side. The Pats have Cap Room, a dire need for a pass rusher and have seen first hand what Osi can do on a big stage

•  JimStoll says:

that’s good for Osi then
      hate to see him in Big D though

I agree with the production that Osi can provide. ATL is the fit because they play in a dome, have a top offense so will be playing from the lead and have a big need for a pass rusher. But I actually think he’s better off going to an up and coming team because I think there’s a leadership aspect that Osi can provide a new team that he just could provide here. Also as previously stated I think his skill set in a Ware like 3-4 OLB role would be used better than in a 4-3. If the Jets had money I think he would be a perfect fit with them.

•  JimStoll says:

I can’t see Osi converting to a Ware-like hybrid at this point in his career

•  demo3356 says:

Uh.. No… He is better in a 4/3 as an end.. He could be a pass rush specialist in a 3/4 but not a full time OLB.. Lets not get silly..

I think both of you are overrating the difference in their jobs. ware rushes the passer most of the time. Even at DE Osi drops into coverage a few times. And playing the further to the outside I think would help Osi. He’s 255 so he’s the same size as Ware and many of the other 3-4 OLBs. Mathis just made the same switch in Indy and was just fine. It think Osi would have similar if not more success. Mario Williams are much bigger man was able to effectively make the switch. The 3-4 OLB is some of these defenses is not much more than a stand up DE. It would be much different switching to a 4-3 SLB position because that’s a true linebacker position.

Nosh – I don’t get your compliant that many of us want to keep Bennett. It’s just like any good player we want to keep them. But notice just like Cruz or any other player for that matter there is a price level that it just doesn’t make sense. This is not the NBA when a few great players make all the difference. Many good players wins in today’s NFL much more than a few great players so any one player is only worth so much. A few players will have more flexibility like Eli and JPP. Nicks most of us view as clearly more valuable than Cruz but don’t think that JR will use Cruz’s presence against Nicks and vice versa. Most of us in a Yankee like NFL would like to keep Cruz, Bennett, KP and Osi but the economics don’t make it possible. It’s not baseball in we can’t function like the Yankees have the past 15 years (until this year).

What much of it come down to is how replaceable is a players presence and production in our scheme. Cruz has presence that wouldn’t be replaced in the slot but through involving other players others and many of us think he’s easier to replace than a Nicks. And part of the Bennett appeal is that a presence like his at TE can help us replace some of what Cruz gives us in the middle of the field.

But in the end this is a discussion that will likely prolong. I don’t think Bennett will re-sign and I think Cruz gets tendered. JR won’t budge on what he thinks Nicks and Cruz are worth so really the first one of them that realizes that will probably sign an extension.

I was long in favor of Bradshaw’s release because of what I saw from Wilson and Brown. For me releasing Bradshaw is much more about giving these two talented RBs more chances to show their stuff. I understand each comes with questions but the upside kind of reminds me of Tiki and Jacobs if the snaps were split more evenly. Bradshaw is an above average RB but I believe his presence would keep one of these two RBs off the field way too much. So I’m not even in favor of bringing back Bradshaw at a discounted price. Bradshaw is good enough if healthy he will get snaps. But I think these RBs need snaps to help realized their potential.

I also like Scott more than most. I think he could be a very good 3rd RB but his career is at a crossroads because he hasn’t proven much. Their is no doubt that several vet free agents, rookie free agents and/or a draft pick will be brought in to challenge him. It’s a win win because if 2 of the guys are good enough to knock Scott off the roster I think we found good #3 & #4 RBs. With Wilson, Brown and Scott we would have the fastest top 3 RBs we ever have and a totally different looking running game than with Bradshaw, Jacobs and Ware just 2 years ago.

As I’ve made clear I’m not a big fan of Scott, but would love to be proved wrong and see him demonstrate much more lateral quicks than he has previously. He should be fine physically because meniscus tears aren’t that big a deal and he’ll have had plenty of time to recover from that.

I’m assuming they’ll go with three running backs and one on the practice team. Hard to go with four backs as long as they keep DeOssie, who occupies a specialty niche but takes up a roster spot.

I think the good thing about this season is we will get a much more definitive answer on Scott either way. I doubt both Wilson and Brown can play 16 games without one getting at least banged up so Scott if he is the 3rd RB will be given to chance to show what he can or can’t do.

I think we need to carry 4 RBs much like last year. Neither Wilson or Brown have any experience even being a #2 RB for a full season so with those two at the #1 and #2 RBs we need more RB depth or the actual roster and not just PS. Compared to last year I expect us to carry another OL on the active roster. So we will need another spot somewhere but I think that comes from LB because we had 7 LBs without DeOssie last year. With us playing so much nickel and/or so many 3 safety looks we only need 6 LBs on the 53. Especially, when we likely have hybrid player in Kiwi and/or Tracy that could play LB should a disaster injury wise occur at LB in a game and/or season.