February 14th, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in 2014 is supposed to be historical. It will mark the first time in NFL history that a Super Bowl has been played in a cold weather stadium, and the first hosted at the home of the New York Jets and New York Giants. Unfortunately, things have gotten off to a rocky start due to concerns over weather, the omission of the NFL Experience and, more recently, some political maneuvering courtesy of a group of New Jersey Mayors.

Michael Copley of The Record reports that a group of mayors from the Meadowlands District have threatened to prevent emergency services and police officers from working the event due, in large part, to lack of payment for previous municipality services unrelated to the Super Bowl itself.

"The stadium has done little to help offset any costs for the surrounding communities when larger events occur at the stadium," Secaucus Mayor Michael Gonnelli said in a press release earlier this week. "With one of [the] world’s largest sporting events coming to the East Rutherford venue, there is little doubt that the mayors will be expecting a call that their services are needed. … The answer will be clear: don’t ask."

Gonnelli added that local towns will make a "concerted effort" to avoid participation in any and all events related to the Super Bowl.

As expected, both the Giants and Jets took exception to this stance, and in an e-mail to The Record, New York Giants Vice President of Communication, Pat Hanlon, addressed the situation.

"It is unfortunate that our neighbors would issue a press release of this nature at a time when most of the New Jersey and New York metropolitan region is working together to produce a great Super Bowl in February 2014," Hanlon said in the email. "[The Super Bowl] will have a tremendous positive impact on the region and the neighboring towns surrounding MetLife Stadium. [And] we are more than willing to meet with the mayors at any time to discuss their concerns and improve communications and relations."

Another issue, says East Rutherford Mayor James Cassella, is the deal the Giants and Jets received to build the stadium, which calls for $5 million annually in rent and more than $6 million annually in tax payments to East Rutherford.

"It’s probably the worst agreement for the state of New Jersey and for the taxpayers of New Jersey that’s ever been signed in the history of the state. It was just horrible," Cassella said recently. "Unfortunately, [the teams] don’t care about paying."

Carlstadt Mayor William Roseman added to Cassella's statement, saying "the teams have never been good corporate neighbors."

Once poised to be an incredible event, the NFL and local politicians seem to be going out of their way to ruin it. It's unfortunate for each of the local teams, whatever NFC and AFC teams will be represented in the Super Bowl and, most importantly, the fans.

There's still time to correct many of the issues facing the event, but as each day passes, the situation seems to get worse as opposed to better – and we here at Giants 101 have little faith the NFL and local politicians can get their heads out of their rear-ends in time.

Tags: Football, MetLife Stadium, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Pat Hanlon

35 Responses to “New Jersey Mayors Threaten to Keep Emergency Services and Police from Working Super Bowl XLVIII”

Now why would you think that the NFL and local pols would be unable to resolve their differences? After all, these are all reasonable people, as they have so obviously proved on many previous occasions, haven’t they?

For shame Dan. Insinuating that this group of upstanding men, who are always ready to compromise to help resolve situations easily, would hold grudges, give little quarter, and jeopardize a wonderful event in the back yard of some and the showcase for the others. I would have expected better of you.

F55 – I don’t think drafting a first round TE is crazy but in our position with the TEs that are available it seems extremely unlikely. These TEs look like good players but not the type TEs you invest the 19th pick in when you’re a team that doesn’t covet TEs. Whether right or wrong Wilson was drafted because it was thought he could be a special RB not just very good. I think for a position we don’t value we must think that player is special to draft in the first round. So if we do spend our first round pick on a RB, C, G, TE, LB or S it’s someone we feel is a special player.

Yeah, but how about the 31st pick? The Whiners have 14 picks in this draft. They have a solid roster. If Reese tenders Cruz I could see them thinking seriously about signing him (they’ve certainly seen what he did to their secondary in big games) if they have cap room and sending us that #31 pick in exchange.

Look, I have no more idea of what Reese will do than does anyone outside the confines of the Giants’ inner circle, but given the deep supply of defensive tackles and offensive linemen this April it would not be insane to take a corner with the #19 pick, Erst with the #31 pick (unless a great DT is there), and then fill in the big needs at DT and O-line with the next few picks.

Of course, I’ve said that if Cruz signs a long deal or Bennett stays, all bets are off and the Giants will want no part of a tight end in the draft, but I am still skeptical that either of those two events transpire.

Yeah at the end of the first round my view point would be different. If we drafted Wilson at 19 last year I think the pick would have been much more criticized.

3.  F0XLIN says:

Martellus Bennett “Everyone keeps asking me about free agency. My outlook is NYG and if not wherever my brother is most likely.”

4.  shmitty013 says:

Considering how deep the DT class is, I’m starting to think we go CB in the 1st, unless Richardson falls, in which case, I’d be ecstatic to get him. Here’s Daniel Jeremiah’s take on the depth at DT in this draft, which he considers to be the deepest position and I can’t say I disagree:

I think OT is even more loaded. DT was also deep last year as well but I don’t recall a draft with so many players capable of being starting LTs in one draft. There are also 2 elite guards.

5.  Grateful Giants says:

We should have just departed from the Meadowlands and taken the lot next to Yankee Stadium.

Should have cut ties with the Jets and NJ for that matter while we had a chance.

This sounds like F55

To tag or not to tag: Kenny Phillips

I get this email this morning from Paul Kuharsky, who’s got the Colts and Titans looking for help at safety and was working on this column about how the market could dry up quickly because the franchise-tag number for safeties is going to be so low. Something like $6.8 million, lower than any position but tight end and kicker/punter. Paul wanted to know what I thought the chances were of the New York Giants using their franchise player designation on safety Kenny Phillips.

I don’t think they will, and I have a few reasons.

Kenny Phillips has played well for the Giants, but knee woes and New York’s other contract priorities cloud his future with the team.
    First of all, the Giants don’t really use the franchise player designation very often. And when they do, they tend to employ it according to the original spirit of the rule — as a means of buying themselves extra time to work out a long-term deal on which they’re already at work but haven’t had time to complete. This is what they did last year with punter Steve Weatherford, who got the franchise tag but soon thereafter had the long-term deal that was in progress at the time of the deadline. The Giants don’t have a history of franchising guys just because the number is low, and keeping them around on one-year deals just because they can.

Secondly, as low as that safety number might be, it might not be low enough to make sense for the Giants. They need money to sign free-agent offensive linemen Will Beatty and Kevin Boothe. They are working on long-term deals with star wide receivers Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, and they’ll need money for that. If they franchise any of their free agents, it’ll probably be Beatty, since it seems clear that they’ll be interested in doing a long-term deal with him anyway. Left tackle is a position of significant importance in Jerry Reese’s mind. Safety, likely less so.

In the salary-cap era, teams must establish priorities for places to spend their significant resources. The Giants do this almost religiously. They invest heavily at quarterback and pass-rushing defensive end, and I think the cornerback, left tackle and No. 1 wide receiver positions are also very important to them. They get by at other spots, such as running back and linebacker and safety and tight end (which is why I don’t think they’ll franchise or bid big to keep Martellus Bennett). At those spots, they decide on numbers they think are justified by the market, replacing players who think those numbers are too low with qualified guys who think they aren’t.

In the case of Phillips, I think this could be a mistake. I think Phillips is a do-it-all safety who makes other players on the defense better, and I think the Giants’ relative performance at cornerback, linebacker and even among their great defensive linemen the past couple of years was affected by whether Phillips was or was not on the field. I think Phillips is an important player for the Giants and that they should work to keep him.

However, they’re not operating in a vacuum. They’re paying Antrel Rolle a lot of money. They might have seen enough from Stevie Brown and Will Hill in 2012 to convince themselves they’re deep enough (and spending enough) at safety to weather the loss of Phillips. And there is the matter of Phillips’ knee, which has been a major problem for him and can’t necessarily be counted on to improve in the future. All of these factors likely will lead the Giants to tell Phillips he’s welcome back at their price, but that if he’d prefer to try and find more on the open market they will go in a different direction.

So no, I don’t think the Giants will franchise Phillips, and I think there’s a good chance he’ll be available on the market. If he is, I am fairly certain some team will look past the knee issue at the quality of the player and pay him more than the Giants want to pay him. The Giants’ best hope of keeping him is if he decides their offer is fair and that the injury problems he had in 2012 are going to keep him from cashing in big in free agency. Unless they feel as though they’re closing in on a long-term deal with him when the franchise deadline arrives, I’d be surprised if they tagged him.

•  Krow says:

My only head scratcher from this article is trying to figure out how they can say that the Giants highly value LOT. For the last several years it’s been David Diehl and/or Will Beatty, a #2 pick. That’s not exactly pouring resources into that position.

7.  LUZZ says:

Well, I’m not gonna make any friends with this post, but I kind of like Kiper. He’s a self-made guy who developed knowledge in an area that nobody had any, and marketed himself into a nice role with ESPN.

Is he right on predicting which team drafts which player? No. But who could possibly have a good track record in this area. However, he is very good at evaluating college talent and projecting it into the league. The rest of the GMs have now caught up to him, but there was a time when he was more knowledgeable than half of the GMs inthe league. Not true anymore, but I still kind of admire what he made of himself.

•  LUZZ says:

I see the collective opinion on here is that he’s a terd, so I realize I’m against the grain on this. I don’t judge him on how right he is on picking players to teams, since after the first 10 picks the whole board changes. But I am always impressed at his wealth of knowledge on all these kids, and especially since this was a passion of his prior to the point where it was putting food on his table.

•  Krow says:

Kiper was the first to do popular draft analysis. Well before anyone else. And I agree that he deserves a good measure of respect for that.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I have no problem with Kiper’s analysis of college talent. He’s always worth listening to. Where Kiper usually goes off the rails is when he tries to play NFL GM. His specialty is knowing college players and breaking them down, it is not managing NFL rosters, assessing team needs, or making organizational decisions. When Kiper enters that arena and starts passing judgement he is out of his depth.

•  Krow says:

And then he rips the team selections.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I’m a fan of Kiper, McShay, and those Walter Football dudes. In fact they had us taking Wilson at one point last year.

I don’t follow or watch college Football so reading all those listed above gives me a chance to learn about certain players leading up to the draft.

8.  Chad Eldred says:

I don’t know who to believe in this mess. I certainly see the point of the local public service providers, but I’ve also read “The Soprano State” and am thoroughly convinced that there are many who would seek to shamelessly profit from this.

9.  rlhjr says:

Just asking in general; What NFL team including the Giants would want to play the Super Bowl in New York in February? I mean Bud Grant’s old Viking team would not give it a second thought. Now a day’s these guys want to go to Maima or some dome. Even the Packers. The Giants of the 80′s may have been into it, now? Not so much.

•  Krow says:

I felt the same way. But someone pointed out that there are quite a few outdoor, bad-weather teams. Teams that have tailored themselves to their local conditions. Yet if they make it to the Superbowl it’ll be played in warm weather or in a dome … often against teams who play their home games in similar settings.

“Why should warm weather and dome teams always have that advantage?”

I have to admit that I did find that argument persuasive.

•  Chad Eldred says:

The Bills teams of the 90′s would have been very comfortable in those condtions. Granted, the outcomes of those Super Bowls probably wouldn’t have changed.

10.  Nosh.0 says:

Someday someone on here will have to explain to me the infatuation with Martellus Bennet. For all his athleticism he put up the same production that Ballard gave us in 2011 and Boss gave us the 2 seasons prior.

Why we would have a serious debate on whether or not to pay Cruz and then in the same breath say we need/should keep Bennet is a mystery that looks to remain unsolved for centuries to come.

Apparently this kid has the Blocking ability of Larry Allen, the Hands of Jerry Rice, and the comedic timing of Richard Pryor.

Unfortunately for the Marty B groupies out there reality is a bit different. TE, especially in our offense, is replaceable. Marty B, with all his athleticism and size, still missed assignments late in the season, and dropped some big passes. Passes that in past years had been caught by the athletically inferior Ballard and Boss.

Marty B can say whatever he likes about FA. The fact is he wants to get the most $$$ he can. And the Giants will not be the team to give him the most $$$. So therefore he will not be a Giant next year, plain and simple.

Why do we go through this every year when it comes to Free Agency? Players go where the most money is. In Marty B’s case that place isn’t here.

•  Krow says:

More than likely it’s true. He’ll move along and we’ll plug in another piece.

•  G-MenFan says:

Are you running for “king of the straw-men”??

If Ballard hadn’t ripped up his knee we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
      As far as Boss goes, we think maybe we can keep Bennett for less money than Boss got, and he’s a better blocker than Boss ever was. Everyone would LOVE to keep Cruz but if he’s asking too much money, we can’t afford him. Exact same situation with Bennett.

Your “points” are completely invalid. All of them based upon false premises.

•  jfunk says:

You’re right that Bennett is most certainly gone.

However, I think you’re smoking something if you think he’s nothing more than Boss or Ballard. Your eyes should tell you that and the Giants’ use of him should back it up.

And he has nothing to do with the Cruz debate. They are completely unrelated. Their impact on the team financially isn’t in the same ballpark. That’s like saying you can’t you complain about the cost of beer when you spend so much more on your car.