New York Giants’ Stevie Brown Named to USA Today’s All-Joe Team

February 13th, 2013 at 12:30 PM
By Paul Tierney

New York Giants safety Stevie Brown emerged as a key asset in 2012 after spending the first two seasons of his career as a journeyman. Eight interceptions, 307 return yards and 11 starts made Brown a pleasant surprise on a defense that was porous for the majority of Big Blue's 2012 campaign. Today, brown was named to USA Today's All-Joe Team. The All-Joe Team is a compilations of 53 under appreciated players that have never been to a Pro Bowl, but have contributed significantly to their respective teams. It was created in honor of Kansas City Chiefs defensive linemen Joe Phillips in 1992 by USA Today Sports NFL writer Larry Weisman.

In the official announcement, Nate Davis of USA Today Sports stresses the importance of the Giants third safety.

"Journeyman emerged as the third safety the Giants covet on their defense and started 11 games along the way. For good measure, Brown swiped eight passes, one off the league lead, but his 307 interception return yards were second to none."

It's hard to say that Brown was an unsung hero of any sort this season. His play was recognized by fans and he has been heralded as the replacement for Kenny Phillips at the strong safety position. Because of his performance in 2012, there's a good chance he comes into camp next season as the projected starting strong safety and an opportunity to establish himself as a premier player in this league.

On the other hand, Brown finished second in the league in interceptions and first in interception return yards. There is no tangible reason for him not being selected to the Pro Bowl, other than he just doesn't have the reputation to earn that distinction yet. Can you really say that Chris Snee, who made the Pro Bowl, had a bigger impact than Stevie Brown? Two completely different players, positions and evaluation techniques; however, Brown was undoubtedly one of the most impactful players on the defensive side of the ball this season.

It's great to see Brown get some, albeit minor recognition for his play this season. He deserves it. However, it will be interesting to see how he follows it up in 2013. With another year in the defensive scheme, he should only improve. But that remains to be seen.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Chris Snee, Football, Kansas City, Kansas City Chiefs, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown, USA Today

20 Responses to “New York Giants’ Stevie Brown Named to USA Today’s All-Joe Team”

1.  sonnymooks says:

Regarding Bennet and post playing career, if its better for him to be a Buc or a Giant.

If you ask Warren Sapp about if TB is more like Dallas or NY, he’ll probably say NYC, lol.

Its funny you mention Tampa, a couple of their guys have become media stars after their days were up (Dungy, Sapp, Gruden, Brooks, Lynch and Johnson).

Lets call a spade a spade here, NY is better then TB, but there are quite a few guys in the media who could convince Bennet that he is better off in TB if he is concerned about his post playing days.

FWIW, I’ve never understood how a team that honestly underachieved in its “glory years” gets treated like they were some kind of dynasty, with its players getting jobs in all sorts of media all over.

Do you recall how bad Tampa was in the 80s and 90s? Maybe the worse franchise in sports. Do you know how CP3 and griffin will be looked upon if they ever win a chip for the Clippers? Their franchise winning one SB is different because they had been so bad for so long. Their defense was an annual top 5 unit. Guys like Sapp, Johnson and Gruden would have been media people no matter where they played. Dungy is in the media due to league wide respect and success. Brooks and Lynch probably got more of a chance due to team success. But you could say the same thing about Antonio Pierce or Shaun O’Hara.

•  sonnymooks says:

I remember, and how the hell that team made a superbowl in ’85, I shall never know, lol.

The bucs were bad, atrocious and the kind of team that even lions fans of today would envy, BUT, for all the talent they put together, they only won one championship. Its okay for TB to love and be proud of them. Thats fine.

Its the rest of the sports media making them into the 49ers of the ’80s that ticks me off. The team was good, not great, they had talent, but they were no damn dynasty. They won once championship, in a bad year, and they get treated like royalty…WTF ?

Its also like the ’85 Bears (granted, it was one of the greatest single season teams ever, BUT it was only one year, and the G-Men knocked them out the next season) who keeps getting celebrated to this day, like they invented football or something.

I’m not saying going to Tampa makes you a star, my point really is, that going to tampa doesn’t hurt you if you produce. If Bennett goes there and does well, he’ll have a post-playing career just fine, much like the above names.

Those guys had big days in Tampa, and got paychecks after their days were over (Sapp spending it all) so if Bennett goes there, and still wants to stay in the light afterwards, he’ll be fine.

I hope we keep him though, but its probably going to be wherever his agent can get him the best deal, and if thats tampa (with their cap room), then thats where he will go.

I don’t think they underachieved. Winning multiple SBs with defense rarely happens. You need at least a good offense. They didn’t have a great QB. It also took them a while to learn how to win. I also think the change to Gruden hurt their defensive mindset for long term success. Let’s not forget they had to beat Philly on the road to get to the SB. And they barely lost to the rams with Shawn Hill. They has a few offensive players but weren’t good enough on the offensive side of the ball except their SB when their defensive was still dominant.

•  sonnymooks says:

I agree with everything you just said except them not being underachivers.

What bothers me, is how they get similar treatment to the 85 bears, and treatment like this all time great team.

They didn’t have much of anything at QB with Johnson, but their defense didn’t really falter, Monte Kiffin was given free reign over the defense, to run and use as he wished.

I think I probably wouldn’t gripe as much about that team if it didn’t seem like they get treated like an all time great team, or gets mentioned alot in the same breath as some of these all time defenses.

There sure seems to be a lot more of these “All Something” teams then there ever was.

3.  jfunk says:

I think people are taking the “NY opportunity” counter-argument too far. I can’t speak for others, but when I invoke it I’m certainly not suggesting that becoming some big “media star” is attainable for anybody interested simply by playing here.

There’s a lot more opportunity for a “nobody” to keep some cash flowing in through appearances and events here than most places. I’m sure Tampa has it’s fair share of autograph signings by old Bucs players that nobody outside of Florida remembers, but I’m sure there are a heck of a lot less of them than there are in NY.

In addition and more importantly, it’s the greater opportunity to schmooze with “important people” than you’ll have elsewhere. If Victor Cruz was in Tampa everybody would still know he’s an up and coming star, but he probably doesn’t have his own clothing line right now. All the fashion, music, red carpet world type crap that these guys get invited to 1/2 hour from their door doesn’t happen in Tampa, FL.

As far as the FA money well drying up, as it relates to Bennett…I don’t think it matters. I’m not thinking Bennett leaves because some other team will definitely “break the bank” for him, I just think the Giants won’t even match a decent market value deal for him. Even if he wants to be here, I just don’t think the Giants will offer him a deal that would be financially responsible for him to take.

•  Krow says:

I’m coming to that realization myself. I think FF55 has it right. He was a one-year-rental.

I’m thinking it will turn out like Cofield. We will make an offer better than many think but it still won’t be good enough for him to stay. We also can’t overlook the appeal of playing with his brother. I’m guessing the NY/comfortable as a Giant factor and the brother factor cancel each other out so the money will win out. Plus it’s the offense he played in this year so he knows the offense fits his skills even if the QB isn’t as good.

I don’t put much weight in what Mel Kiper has to say, but I want to lay out the argument (which I kinda did a week ago) for why it wouldn’t be insane for the Giants to grab a tight end at #19.

Let me start by saying I assume that pick would be Zach Erst if it’s made, and that I am certain that kid could be a terrific NFL player who can both block and act as a wonderful receiver (as in, as good a receiver as any TE in the game except Gronk and Vernon Davis).

Now, let’s assume for a moment that the Giants have taken the position that they have Eli Manning for another 6-7 years, that they need to support the offensive side of the ball both because of Eli’s presence and because the Rules Committee has made NFL defenses into lesser factors than has ever been the case before, and because they are convinced that they can win with a good running attack + Eli and his receivers + a bend-don’t-break defense that plays well in the Red Zone and produces turnovers.

Let’s further assume that Reese intends to tender Cruz but not only will make no commitment to him beyond 2013 but wouldn’t mind if some jerk GM signs him and gives the Giants his #1 pick. Assume further that Reese isn’t chasing Bennett at all and likes Robinson. Now, if Cruz were to agree to a “reasonable” long-term contract I think the case for taking a TE at #19 totally collapses. The same goes if Bennett decides he’d take about $3MM per year to play for the Giants. I think neither of those things occur.

So there sits Reese, knowing he has Nicks and Randle as terrific outside receiving targets, that he has Robinson as a fine “inside” guy, and has Wilson and Brown as targets out of the backfield and as the backbone of a good running attack. Wouldn’t it make a lot of sense to then pick an outstanding tight end, plan on running a two-tight-end set (a la the Pats) on a regular basis, make it very hard for a defense to stop the play action pass because they cannot guess pass if you have two tight ends in the formation, AND save a LOT of dollars in cap space by dispensing with Cruz (probably costing at least $6-7MM per annum) and bringing in a rookie who makes your TOTAL investment in tight ends no more than $3MM/annum over the next three years (#1 pick + Robinson + Pascoe or the equivalent)? He’d have created a fourth receiver target for Eli (okay, not a game-breaker like Cruz, but a much bigger assist to the running game), saved a lot of dollars, and helped Coughlin get back to that “balanced” offense he wants.

The money saved could be allocated to offensive linemen, Nicks’ extension, and defense. And they’d still have Jernigan (and others still to be added) to play the slot when they wanted to spread the formation. Jernigan is no Cruz, but remember, we’d have Cruz (in all likelihood for 2013) and by the time he would be gone, in 2014, having Robinson and Ertz at TE, and Jernigan or an alternative in the slot, would make up for a lot of his production (not the game-breaking plays, but the cumulative yards) and add yards to those gained on the ground, and free up the best part of Eli’s game, the play action.

It isn’t a ridiculous idea. I don’t think it happens, but it’s the kind of thing a really smart GM might find quite attractive.

The concept makes a lot of sense. In fact, that’s why I want Bennett back because I think we could form a similar 2 TE look with Robinson and Bennett going forward. If we don’t return Bennett I think the concept is still a realistic idea going forward. But because JR isn’t going to show his hand I see more a 3-4 round pick type of TE who may not be ready to start this year but will next year. If you pick a first round TE after picking Robinson the previous year we are already committing to much more of a 2 TE offense.

It seems that the first round TEs haven’t really panned out over the years. Even Davis for where he was picked has just been ok. Most of the valued TEs were picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

We all trust JR but I wonder if he wishes he still had Ballard as a fall back option for 2013. With Robinson and Ballard around we would be fine without Bennett.

A BIG part of my thinking is that taking Ertz (who is absolutely NOT going to be a bust…quality player with a quality brain and the right personality) in the draft means Reese wouldn’t have to “over-invest” in the tight end position for the next three years (when Robinson hits free agency things change), which he would have to do to retain Bennett. The Giants just don’t want to spend too much money on that position, and I agree with that view. Those dollars are better spent elsewhere.

So while I really like Bennett, I don’t like him over Erst enough to have a delta of about $3-4MM to have him around. Another way of saying that is I’d much rather have Erst and Robinson and Pascoe and Beatty (that extra $3MM probably allows Reese to retain him) or Boothe (definitely stays if we have that extra cash) than Robinson, Pascoe and Bennett. In both cases we get a fourth target for Eli (and can far better afford the loss of Cruz), but one comes at a much better price, allowing us to spend elsewhere as needed.

If you wait until later in the draft you can find a good TE, but not one who may actually make up a lot of what is lost if Cruz moves on. Not that I’m thinking solely about the Pats, but given their situation, do you not think that their two tight ends make Welker very expendable no matter how good he has been? When they run into Gronk’s and Hernandez’s free agency years they’ll have to give up one of them, but that’s the NFL cap for you. meanwhile, they’re saving Welker’s salary next season and in 2014 to be spent elsewhere.

I’m not absolutely advocating this, at all. But I don’t think it’s a crazy idea. If Reese goes that way I’d definitely trust the plan.

I’m not trying to downgrade the quality of the TE we draft. Looking at where the quality TEs Gronk, Hernandez, Graham, Pita etc were drafted were drafted I don’t think it requires a first round pick to follow your theory. Plus the first round pick of a TE robs us of drafting an impact player at a more needed position. Drafting a DT or a CB is even after more of a savings in terms of a draft pick versus a vet signing than at TE.

•  jfunk says:

Just because quality guys were acquired at later rounds doesn’t mean you don’t draft a guy early if you see the you want. I’m sure there were a lot of other TEs drafted in later rounds that DIDN’T work out too.

I’m saying rounds 2-4. I wouldn’t feel comfortable drafting these guys in the first round because they don’t appear to be special athletes or specimens. I think you can find guys like Gavin Escobar who have just as much or more upside.

But I admit I still wouldn’t pick a RB in the first round. I think Wilson looks like he could be Tiki but I think guys in the mid rounds like Pierce and Turbin are more than fine to carry the load. Morris was great but I can’t say I saw him coming, the other 2 were RBs I wanted us to draft.

5.  giantsfan says:

According to a “high-ranking Vikings source,” Percy Harvin “expects” an extension similar to the deals recently signed by Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

——————————————————————————————

If that is true, he’s an idiot. He’s no where in the league with Megatron and Fitz.

Let’s hope Cruz isn’t as clueless as this guy

6.  Begiant says:

I am starting to think trading Cruz for two second rounders might be the right move to make. We would be able to add three quality players in the first two rounds as well as have an additional second for draft flexibility in the 2014 draft. Dependinding on who we trade Cruz to we could possibly have an early second rounder this year which we could use to take a corner, safety or LB that falls out of the first round. It would also give us the option to take a player that we dont need with our fist round pick because we will have an extra second rounder to use to fill holes. We also will not have to spend a hefty sum to keep Cruz and he won’t be disgruntled because we decided to keep him on the RFA tender. If we believe that Nicks, Barden, Randle, and Jernigan along with Hixon can be a solid receiving core then this could be a good move for the Giants to make. However if we could lock cruz up with a reasonable contract then that would be the route to take.

7.  demo3356 says:

yeah, cause teams will line up to give up 2 2nd round picks and a huge contract for him…..