New York Giants’ Justin Tuck Surprised Over Cuts, but Trusts in GM Jerry Reese

February 13th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

"In Reese We Trust" is a mantra used not only by fans of the New York Giants, but their players as well. And on Tuesday, while speaking at Founders Dinner at Cipriani Wall Street, defensive captain Justin Tuck said he was surprised over some of the recent cuts, but also expressed his faith in General Manager Jerry Reese.

'Justin Tuck: Calm Before the Storm.' photo (c) 2009, Heath Brandon - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

"Those guys have done a great job over the years of building a team that can be successful, and I don’t see why we can't trust in the fact that they know what they're doing up there," Tuck said. "Those decisions aren’t easy decisions. I'm sure Jerry and everyone up there had some tough times and some tough conversations about them, but they felt as though it needed to happen, and they went forward with it."

Tuck said he understood that the decisions were primarily made for financial reasons, but remains hopeful that the team can bring some of the players back. He also noted that Reese has not approached him about the $4.5 million remaining on the final year of his contract.

As for what lies ahead, Tuck believes it's still too early to consider. With free agency and the NFL Draft around the corner, many things are likely to change and opportunities will begin to open up for everyone.

"Any time when a guy was hurt, or a guy is leaving, or gets cut or anything like that, it's always an opportunity for somebody else," Tuck said. "We've got guys on this team that need to step up and play better and do whatever role is needed from the coaching staff to have a successful football team. As OTAs come in, and training camp comes in, and the beginning of the season comes in, we’ll figure all that out."

After a relatively poor season, Tuck had previously vowed to return to All-Pro form. He stood by that on Tuesday and appears determined to return to the player he once was.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL

15 Responses to “New York Giants’ Justin Tuck Surprised Over Cuts, but Trusts in GM Jerry Reese”

1. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Nothing? No one? Ghost town today.

I think it’s weariness over hearing Tuck talk. To tell the truth, I’m tired of the same post-game, insightful but meaningless, statements that have come from too many of these players over the years, and I most certainly include in that condemnation Justin Tuck (purported “Captain” of the defense ) and Eli Manning (purported “leader” of the team).

I wouldn’t trade Eli for any quarterback in the NFL, and I mean that, but I am incredibly tired of his steady-state-we’ll-work-on-those-mistakes-and-get-better speeches after gut-wrenching losses when the team simply didn’t show up or made enough mental errors to lose. I’m tired of Tuck’s world-weary look of despair on the field and his empty promises that he’ll “return to form”. We shouldn’t have only seen that rookie hunger from 2007 in about a dozen games since then. Frankly, he seems like a smart guy who got his money and then started wondering if it was all really that important. I was tired of Chris Canty (a guy whom I really admire as a man) sounding more like a professor than a guy who’d eat raw meat just to get practice “hunting” before a game. I’m REALLY tired of Corey Webster saying over-and-over “Our communication wasn’t good out there today”.

The stench coming from what certainly appeared a self-satisfied bunch was pretty obvious to all this season. Well, they missed the playoffs. Their coach was “bewildered” and claims he doesn’t understand what happened. Their defensive coordinator just brings his usual schtick to any interview, combining enthusiasm and assurances that he is “learning the players”. Their offensive coordinator cannot hide his smugness while consistently hinting that the only problem is these dumb players who have to “show it in a game” while he and TC pull youngsters out, or don’t let them play, even when the guy ahead of them on the depth chart is stinking up the joint.

I trust Reese too. That’s why I think he knows the team needs a major rejuvenation and that the old vets, even if some are good, need to move out of the way, and that his conversations with everyone’s agents have to be bluntly cautionary about the player’s future with this team.

The tough guys with “attitude” this past season were Eli (shown on the field if not elsewhere, because he never gives up and he always gets up), Bradshaw, Nicks (playing through what most could not have), Rolle, Weatherford, DeOssie, Blackburn, Hill, Diehl (yeah, he stinks, but he’s tough), and Hynoski. Most of the rest of the squad went to sleep after the parades last February and may only now have awakened. It was an ugly display.

•  Hanshi says:

I agree with what you said but I have no problem with what Tuck said or with what any of the so-called leaders on the team said. What are the suposed to say in public? I just hope they act like leaders in the locker room. What ever they say in front of a mic is just them being politically correct.

•  Krow says:

Don’t hold back … tell us how you really feel … LOL

I think it’s going to come down to Reese. He’s the cold, calculated one. Coughlin is close to the players by the very nature of his position. Mara isn’t a ‘hands on’ kind of guy. So it’s up to Jerry. And the only weapons he has are contracts and the ax. He controls who comes … and who goes.

•  Hanshi says:

I trust Reese too but he has to see that a big part of our defensive problems was Fewell. How do we trust Reese so much if he doesn’t insist that Fewell leaves?

3.  UANYG says:

The display was ugly, no doubt. I won’t bother to argue that Tuck was a shell of himself; in reality, I think this was possibly his way of saying, “It could be worse, it could have been me.”

I hope I’m not speaking inaccurately, but I don’t think anyone on here would argue that in general, the players that Reese drafts are less likely to speak out. I see the majority of the Giants players as more company-line guys who act with a level of professionalism that doesn’t usually jive with vocal leaders. Might this yield some insight as to why we seem so flat-line all the time? I believe so.

Aside from BJ and Ahmad, who has Reese drafted (If I could bold this text, I would), that has emerged as the vocal or passionate presence we need. I can remember after 07′, many of the posters here voiced concern over filling the Strahan void. Sure, Rolle was signed, but I’m hard pressed to identify any draftees that have the cult of personality needed to lead in the way that Ray Lewis did, or Strahan did.

A few questions I’d love your thoughts on: Can Reese target more personality, or are we consigned to players that don’t rise with the tides of this sport? It should be noted, that such works well in the playoffs when more muted personalities are less prone to let the adrenaline skew their performance. Finally, do we simply need an alpha male, for lack of a better term, that has the unquestioned reins of the team?

4.  Hanshi says:

NFL | Open to having a Super Bowl Saturday

The National Football League, preparing for the possibility of bad weather hitting the New York/New Jersey region for Super Bowl XLVIII, is exploring playing the game on a Saturday or delaying it for several days, according to sources. “We have to look at all the angles: storm arriving day-of-game, storm arriving prior to game, storm arriving after game,” one source said.

I mentioned several weeks ago when we were just discussing cuts that part of the reason I would cut Bradshaw is it would send a message that almost anyone can be cut. That was even further enforced by cutting Canty and Boley. These cuts not only serve as financial relief but a kick in the pants to the vets that do remain that they better get their act together or they will be gone too. I think this combined with the 15-20 new faces we will see on roster will create a different feel on the team. Going into 2013 we are no longer even division champs. We will have real doubters and not have to look for disrespect. I’m going to guess that preseason if RG3 is recovering well we will be considered 2nd or 3rd place in this division. Rebuild is the word that others will use and this team will have to make it’s own repetition because going into 2013 their is nothing we do great compared to the rest of the NFL. Going into 2012 we had our passing game and pass rush but after now those areas need to be re-established as elite.

I would like to see what guys like Tuck, Webster even Eli, Nicks and JPP respond to down seasons. The later 3 are assumed to rebound but 2011 was the best season for all of them and they need to prove that their 2011 levels can be repeated. Tuck and Webster have pride and are not old yet. They both should be able to rebound if their 2012 issues were more mental than physical.

I do think with the likely make up of our 2013 I’m not worried about hunger and effort like I was in 2012. In 2013, we have concerns about actually being good enough to reach SB aspirations.

•  UANYG says:

All great points. While most of us here hate being kicked in the nads, it certainly will grab your attention. Perhaps a Rochambeau tournament for the final position on the roster would help keep the focus of the players.

The more I look at it I don’t like our changes of keeping Bennett unless he really turns down probably 1 mil plus per season offer from a team like Tampa. Last year Jon Carlson signed a 5 year 25 mil deal after missing 2011 with injury. If I was Bennett’s agent that would be my starting point. Remember that two TEs Benentt looks to be comparable to in Marcedes Lewis and Zach Miller each signed 5 year, 35 mil contracts. After seeing Bennett up close last year it’s hard to think he’s not worth 5 mil plus per year based off of last year. I thought maybe we would extend our pockets farther than some thought into the 4 mil per year range. But given our salary cap situation and our prior history with TEs it’s hard to believe that we would step into the 5 mil range.

7.  rlhjr says:

“We’ve got guys on this team that need to step up and play better and do whatever role is needed from the coaching staff to have a successful football team.”

REALLY JUSTIN? REALLY?

8.  CT GIANT says:

rlhjr: Seems I’m right behind you here, and you must be reading my mind, whoa, be careful, ha, lol.
    Reese worst round picks, seem to come in the third, with Barden; Jerrigan; Beckum, probably missing some, but Barden is a 5Th year guy, who played one game, 220 yards later, Panthers or not, he went into hiding?
    Tuck who talks, and is north of 30 years old, is a Reese favorite and his mouth is much bigger then his play, other then when the real leader of the team, Rolle called him out and his teammates, they all got “healthy”.
    Bradshaw should have been more vocal, he’s not that bright, but honest, and I will always have fond memories of him.
    Last, Kiwi, JPP, Trattou, Broha, Ojomo, should there be “real competition” Tuck should be spelled out.
    He last his last, if not injured , ha rah, but I’m simply sick of this guy, and would be more then happy if he’s cut, not likely.
    CT GIANT

9.  CT GIANT says:

Can’t have Super-Bowl on Saturday, just read FOX and other NFL officials have plans to move game if Blizzard or problem but the move would be “Forward” not Saturday, as this would cause impossible technical issues, and advertisers.
    CT GIANT