New York Giants, Terrell Thomas Agree to New Deal

February 11th, 2013 at 2:42 PM

The New York Giants and cornerback Terrell Thomas have worked out a new deal that will keep T2 in New York for at least one more season.

'Terrell Thomas warms up' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"Guess who's back?" Thomas tweeted with a photo of him in a Giants helmet.

Although details of the contract are still murky, it appears Thomas signed a new one-year deal that will save the Giants from the $6 million option bonus that was due to him in March.

Thomas, who is coming off his third ACL tear and second in two years, had been hopeful to work out a new deal with the Giants. He's been patiently rehabbing and began running for the first time last week. That progress was obviously enough for General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. as they felt confident enough to give him another opportunity in 2013.

Even with Thomas' return, it's no given that he will make the team out of training camp. And if he does, there's still a question about what position he will be playing.

In early January, Reese expressed his desire to see T2 return, but hinted that a move to safety may be inevitable after so much damage done to one knee. And with Kenny Phillips likely to leave via free agency, a healthy Terrell Thomas may be an ideal and suitable patch-job replacement.

"He may be one of those guys at this point in his career, if he does get back on the field from the injury, you might have to move him to a different position like safety instead of playing corner," Reese said in an interview on WFAN660 in January. "Because, a couple ACLs playing corner is tough to do. But he is a smart guy. You’ve seen guys before that start careers at cornerback, and have some injuries or lose a step and teams move them inside to safety. That is something we will look at."

There is a possibility the Giants may also look into safety George Wilson, who was released by the Buffalo Bills today and had previously played under Perry Fewell.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

17 Responses to “New York Giants, Terrell Thomas Agree to New Deal”

1.  Jason McEwan says:

Very eager to see what the new deal is like. We might be able to get a 4th Safety for cheap in this deal; can you say “good by Tyler Sash”?

Sash will be given a chance to beat TT out. There’s no guarantee TT will even make it through camp. I hope he can, but they’re not going to count on him.

On the other hand, if he could play safety that would be a huge plus, only exceeded by his being almost miraculously able to play corner.

While I don’t think Phillips is coming back, I do not think this signing has anything to do with that. It’s a mistake to link the two.

2.  TuckThis says:

I hope he can stay healthy. I love this guy. I’d love for this work out.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

I can’t understand why they didn’t want to pay him the 6 million bonus?

I love the guy, but I’m not holding out much hope that he is on the final roster, much less contributes in any meaningful way. Would love to be wrong.

4.  kujo says:

One of my favorite Gmen of the last 5 or 6 years. Really hope he gets back to being even a valuable 3rd or 4th cornerback. Doubt it will though.

5.  F0XLIN says:

I know it’s his 3rd, not first, but after what AP did this season…I won’t doubt modern medicine and hold out hope for T2

•  Grateful Giants says:

Agreed, I can’t imagine the Front Office would have gambled (spending money they don’t seem to have right now) on him not knowing that they can expect a relatively successful recovery. If there was any doubt, I can only assume there’d be no reason to give him another dollar.

•  Chad Eldred says:

The medical issue is one huge hurdle. Also consider that by the time the season starts it will have been about 2 and 1/2 years since this guy has played a meaningful down of football. That’s a lot of time missed, even for a healthy person.

I’m rooting for him, but he’s a camp body until he proves that he can run and play at a respectably high level.

6.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Hopefully T2 can remain healthy enough throughout camp to be a solid contributor on special teams and add some depth at CB/S…possibly playing a little of the third safety position. He has always been a very sound tackler and physical player. I do think if KP walks and T2 can stay healthy, that he would be an excellent addition to Rolle, Brown and Hill. Definitely interested to see the numbers for this deal; I would hope it is something similar to the deal they gave Hixon when he was coming off his 2nd ACL tear.

Sure, why not? Then we could also take one defensive player off the field and play 11-against-10. Anything to get to 80-point games.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I’ve definitely crossed some sort of threshold approaching middle-aged crank. This is crap. Pure, unadulterated, crap.

So a friend who lives in Brooklyn has been insisting that the Giants could, and should, pick up Aboushi (?) from Virginia in the second round. Anyone got a line on him? I’ve never heard of the guy.

btw, he’s an O-lineman

•  F0XLIN says:

I know nothing about him

The Huddle Report has him ranked at 58th overall on their value board.

The 6th ranked OT

•  sonnymooks says:

I know more about him as a person then football player, he helped out alot of folks down in S.I. after the hurricain, very good human being, good person, high, very high character. As for being a football player, from what I’ve seen, pretty athletic, and quick, big boy, could gain some meat though.

8.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

FF55 – I think from what I have read he has very small arms for a OT and got owned at the Senior Bowl. I am going to try and find the link. I would rather grab a guy like Fluker who has played against more elite talent, even if it means giving up a pick or two to make it happen.