February 11th, 2013 at 6:30 AM

You made it. The first Sunday without football is always the roughest, and usually accompanied with a few drinks, but it also means we're that much closer to the NFL Draft. And, hey, there was a little something for everyone on Sunday night: The Grammy's, The Walking Dead and, of course, NFL Network airing America's Game: 2007 New York Giants.

'Sunday Game' photo (c) 2011, S. Alexis - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

As Giants-related news becomes thin and far between, we at Giants will begin looking ahead to free agency and, yes, the NFL Draft as well. We'll have potential free agent profiles, prospect profiles, interviews and full NFL Combine coverage. But in the mean, we're going to catch you up on a few odds and ends from the world of Big Blue.

New York Giants Commentary: Timing Is Right For A Big Blue Makeover

The Giants are right to start their youth movement in earnest now. The timing is just right and the history of the franchise shows it. The Giants present-day situation is similar to the one Hall of Fame head coach Bill Parcells faced, shortly after winning his first Super Bowl crown with the G-men in 1986.

Mayors resisting Super Bowl cost

A faction of Meadowlands District mayors is threatening to withhold police and other emergency services for next year’s Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium, saying they’ve been little compensated for the mounting cost of municipal services at past stadium events.

In response, the New York Giants, co-owner of MetLife Stadium with the New York Jets, and the state Sports and Exposition Authority, landlord of the property, criticized the mayors for not approaching them with their concerns earlier and said they were open to discussions.

Nothing to Fear From a Snowy Super Bowl

Woody Johnson owns the New York Jets, so he's no stranger to making big proclamations. Consider this one, just after the New York area won the bid for the first Super Bowl in an outdoor stadium in a cold weather market.

"I like doing things for the first time," Johnson said. "I hope it snows."

As Long as Giants have Eli Manning, they Are Super Bowl Contenders

It’s out with the old and in with the new, and quickly. And if that sounds mean, that’s just too bad. The reality is there is exactly one untouchable player on the Giants’ roster and he has two Super Bowl MVP trophies. Everyone else on the team is expendable, no matter how much sentiment is involved.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, MetLife Stadium, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Woody Johnson

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Monday Morning Hangover: Eli Manning, Big Blue Makeover & MetLife Stadium”

Great start to the day Dan!!

I hope we don’t need four years to win again, as we did in the Parcells’ Era. But I agree with you that the “Youth Movement” is a necessity.

Right now I’d have to say that I’d add JPP, Hakeem Nicks and David Wilson to that “untouchables” list. Maybe the “almost untouchables”. They’re not equal to Eli. (I am amused that we have one poster who keeps insisting that Eli’s pay is ruining the team. Genius!).

Was at a dinner party last night but saw bits and pieces of the Grammy’s. I am a HUGE fan of Adele (whose voice I think comes from the same place Mozart’s genius came), but have to admit that I really missed seeing the combo of Rihanna, Keys, and Beyonce. I’m sure they were all featured. Saw Taylor Swift and as my kids like to kid me about, I’m actually a fan (my daughter says I am probably the only over-50 male who can stand her, much less like her). Hey, I Y’am what I Y’am. Never heard of that group from Colorado but liked their song. Geesh, I miss football.

2.  Hanshi says:

Younger, Stronger, Faster, Healthier and Cheaper. But as fans, we’ll miss some of our favorite players.

3.  percellovesgiants says:

My wife hates when football season is over, she says idont handle withdrawal well. I welcome the youth movement as long as we keep cruz. In kgb voice from the movie rounders, pay that man his money! Lol

4.  Hanshi says:

Here is what we have to look forward to in the next month:

March 9-11 — Clubs are permitted to enter into contract negotiations with certified agents of players who will be Unrestricted Free Agents at the end of the current League Year.

March 12 — Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2013 on all players who have option clauses in their 2012 contracts.

March 12 — Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit Qualifying Offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

March 12 — Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit a minimum salary offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2012 contracts and who have fewer than three seasons of free agency credit.

March 12 — All 2012 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 12 — Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the Salary Cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 12 — The 2013 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 12 — Trading period begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, for 2013 after expiration of all 2012 contracts.

5.  Hanshi says:

Does anyone here think theres a chance that Cruz ends up with the Patriots, replacing Welker? I sure hope not.

•  demo3356 says:

not this year, but I could see it next year if we dont sign him long term. This year he isnt going anywhere, as I dnt see a team giving him a big contract AND giving us their first rd pick.

Being totally objective, here’s the real positives going into the 2013 season:

1) We will have Eli, a presumably healthy Nicks, a rapidly-improving Randle, and Cruz (I still think on a #1 tender but hopefully on a reasonable long-term deal);

2) We have JPP on the defensive line, will have added Kiwi, and may have two good youngsters in Tracy and Ojomo;

3) We have a very good corner in Prince Amukamara, a very good safety in Antrel Rolle, and promising youngsters in Hosley and Hill;

4) We have two good running backs in Wilson and Brown; and

5) We have an excellent punter in Steve Weatherford.

Add to that a good head coach and an outstanding front office.

Now, the above is better than what a lot of teams have going into 2013, but it isn’t a championship team. It’s a 10-win team, maybe, if its schedule turns out to be as easy as advertised.

It becomes better if a lot of question marks become answers. Will Joseph have a bounce-back year? Will we have a good set of additions at defensive tackle (the Rogers signing is good, but what about Kuhn’s health, and from where do we get the fourth tackle?). Will Tuck play a lot better or is this his new level of play? Can Corey Webster find his game? Do we have a linebacker worth the name? What can we do about an aging and declining O-line, and is Brewer ready yet to step in? Can we find someone to make FGs from 45-50 yards out?

Even if we have a great draft, and I assume we will, most of those players will get limited playing time this season.

Again, being objective, this may be a team that is rebuilding a bit around a terrific asset at QB and his top three receivers. Hard to see them getting a ring unless they have a remarkable run toward season’s end powered in part by some rapid-maturing rookies. So I think Dan’s parallel to 1986 is not far off. The difference is that the Giants should have won everything in 1989 and not had to wait four years to win again. This Giants’ team is in a different NFL. I think they can get deep in the playoffs as soon as 2014. But they’ll need a lot of luck to do so in 2013.

7.  demo3356 says:

FF55yrs- great post, I feel the same way. as to “Even if we have a great draft, and I assume we will, most of those players will get limited playing time this season” I’m not so sure.. I believe rookies wil have to play some role in 2013 due to the sheer amount we are going to have on roster and amount of vets that are going bye bye this off season. I believe we will have 7-9 Rookies on the 53 man roster next season between draft picks and UDFA’s

8.  demo3356 says:

Just heard on ESPN that the last 4 teams to play in Phillies home opener have all gone on to win the Superbowl..