February 11th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It's not a Super Bowl trophy, but New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning and wide receiver Victor Cruz earned some additional hardware for their respective mantles on Sunday night, winning best "dynamic duo" at the third annual Cartoon Network Hall of Game Awards show.

'Bear Pascoe, Victor Cruz and Eli Manning talk in a time out' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The event, which will premiere on Monday night at 7:00 PM EST on Cartoon Network, also featured a unique “Gangnam Style” dance off. Naturally, Cruz joined hosts Shaquille O’Neal and Nick Cannon, and put on quite a performance. If for nothing else, the show is probably worth watching for that reason alone.

Cruz and Manning beat out duo's Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings (Olympic Women's Volleyball), Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte (Olympic Men's Swimming) and Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder) for the award. It was Manning's first and Cruz's second.

In 2012, Cruz was nominated for and won "Dance Machine (Best Celebration)" at the second annual Hall of Game Awards.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

16 Responses to “New York Giants’ Eli Manning & Victor Cruz Named Best “Dynamic Duo” at Hall of Game Awards”

1.  Chad Eldred says:

I think that Dan nailed it in his previous piece. QB is the one piece that we have in place and anything else is fair game. That’s pretty much how I’m looking at the off-season. The future of everyone else is measures in degrees of probability.

•  Hanshi says:

There has to be some degree of continuity for the sake of chemistry with the QB.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Preferable, yeah, but ultimately there are no sacred cows. We already know that the Cruz can be tendered, and it’s looking increasingly likely that this will be the case. Nicks has to play out his deal. Most of us would like to see Bennett back, but it’s a luxury. There is no guy we “have to sign” or that “cannot be cut.” The possibility exists that we head into September with a roster sans Beatty, Phillips, Bennett, Boothe, Webster, and anyone else that is not resigned or gets cut.

2.  demo3356 says:

I’m excited about this upcoming season. Sad to see guys like AB, CC and MB go but I’m looking forward to a younger hungrier team in 2013. I want to see some fire in the belly like we saw on SF, Wash, Seattle and Indy last year. These are the next 6 things I want to see happen, in order of importance
    1) Will Beatty signed
    2) David diehl cut or restructured
    3) Martelus Bennett signed
    4) Cwebb cut or restructured
    5) Victor Cruz signed or tagged
    6) Rolle and Eli restructured to clear up cap space for draftees and RFA,s ERFA,s and a few bargain bin UFA’s

•  Chad Eldred says:

Once those things happen and with the addition of Mike Wallace, we will be back in the hunt.

•  Hanshi says:

Why the addition of Wallace?

•  Chad Eldred says:

Just me being a jacka$$. Usually there is someone that comes on here during the off-season and throws out the idea of some unrealistic mega-signing as if there is a chance in hell it will happen. I figured this year I would diffuse that with some preemptive idiocy.

Fully agree with this post in almost all respects. Not at all sure you will get what you want. I think #5 and #6 will happen. The rest is up in the air, with #2 dependent upon #1 happening (please God); #3 a very big question mark; and #4 possibly a bad thing if Webster has “lost it” but gets extended to help with this year’s cap.

To me the two big mysteries are what the coaches “know” about Webster and Tuck. Could they both have totally lost it somewhere along the way from champions to last season? Did Webster play with a bad hammie all season or did he just absolutely stink? Can Tuck contribute more than a cheap free agent they claimed late (which is about what he gave them in 2012 with very rare exceptions)? We cannot know. But if Webster wasn’t really hurt then I don’t want him extended. I want him gone after this season. If you ask me today what I’d do, I’d let Webster and Tuck play out their contracts, not even think about extending them, and then plan on getting rid of both of them the minute I can without a cap hit that is significant.

Dan, first the Grammy’s, now this? I see we’ve become a sports AND entertainment site. Okay with me, I love ‘em both. Now just add politics and we’re off and running. Okay, no politics? How about macroeconomics and theoretical physics? Stock market predictions? Or a Karnak feature (perhaps inexplicable to those too young to have followed Johnny Carson)? Perhaps a guide to stacking the charcoal for the absolutely best tailgate food?

I’ll start off. Macroeconomics. How did the owners manage to retain nearly 70% of the increase in rights’ fees that the networks are going to be paying them in step-ups over the next decade, and how will that affect the veterans who have logged about seven or eight years in the league? My guess is that the over-30 NFL player will be a rare sight indeed.

Theoretical physics? As more placekickers enter the league who can make field goals from 60 yards away will the Competition Committee resort to an uncertainty principle that will make the uprights either in one place or another as the ball approaches the top of its parabolic path?

Karnak? Easy. The Great Karnak says “New Orleans”. The question?: In what city will Victor Cruz trip over Jeremy Shockey as he loses his footing while doing the salsa and trips past the gutter toward the sidewalk?

Stock predictions? What level of increase will the Dow Jones Index have to reach before an average fan can afford to purchase a PSL for MetLife in the secondary market, 100%, 200% or 8,000%?

Charcoal? Also easy. Everyone knows that while a teepee-like arrangement is best, charcoaling causes cancer and therefore will be, as of September 2013, banned from the parking lots along with any sweetened sodas that exceed 6-onces, though for $25 you can buy a 32-once soda or half-a-cup of beer in the stadium, and they’ll throw in a napkin free of charge.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I have to admit, the more I learn about the last CBA and how things are likely to shake out with the next TV deal, I’m stunned at how the owners are getting away with highway robbery. Throw in the fact that the players are literally putting their lives on the line and the NFL is beginning to have more in common with the Roman gladiators than it does with its fellow sports leagues.

Repost:

jb322 says:
    February 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    Top Tackles by Cap hit for the upcoming season:

1 Jason Smith at Tackle $12,000,000
    2 Jordan Gross at Tackle $11,700,000
    3 Joe Thomas at Tackle $11,400,000
    4 Jason Peters at Tackle $11,042,000
    5 D’Brickashaw Ferguson $10,716,667
    6 Doug Free at Tackle $10,020,000
    7 Russell Okung at Tackle $9,540,000
    8 Trent Williams at Tackle $8,000,000
    9 Michael Roos at Tackle $7,500,000
    10 David Stewart at Tackle $7,000,000

No way Beatty gets $9 mil. I apologize in advance if the formatting doesn’t come through.

GOAT56 says:
    February 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    It’s about when you sign your deal. Look at Free at #6, he was considered a guy very much like Beatty appears now a few years ago. It’s just like Flacco might become the highest paid QB. How much players are paid is about timing much more than how good you are in the overall position rank.

kujo says:
    February 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    It’s like Osi b*tching about how he isn’t being paid more. He was the best DE in that free agency period, and was paid accordingly. The next year, someone else was a free agent and got more than Osi because Osi’s deal was the new standard bearer.

The difference here is that Beatty is nowhere near the best LT available in this free agency period.

GOAT56 says:
    February 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Who’s better. From my view he’s the 2nd best LT since Clady won’t reach free agency because he will be franchised. Long has injury concerns and some teams rather pay Beatty’s price tag than Long’s. The other OTs are mainly RTs or LTs that haven’t shown Beatty’s upside.

GmenMania says:
    February 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Clady may reach free agency, and he’s better than Beatty. Long is definitely better than Beatty. Sebastian Vollmer is better. Branden Albert has been better. Andre Smith may be as good, even though he’s a RT.

That’s not even including the draft, with guys like Joeckel and Fisher.

Beatty is a lot better than some of you think. I concede Clady and Long are better but I think Long has more questions than some realize. Long ended the last 2 seasons on IR and wasn’t the same player this year even when healthy this year. How often does a franchise let go of a LT that is elite? Both Vollmer and Smith are RTs, while Vollmer is believed to be able to play LT there is no way he’s a valuable as Beatty who has proved he’s a LT. Albert is another guy his own franchise is questionable about keeping. Beatty isn’t a JAG LT. Other Clady there’s not a LT that I rather invest long term in as a free agent more than Beatty. I’m not saying him pay him whatever but getting him at anything less than 8 mil per year will be unlikely.

The draft class does influence the free agent class some but not everyone can wait on a rookie. The LTs ready to start will be gone quickly and the rest and players who can develop into starters but not necessarily day 1 starters in 2013.

An option to help us salary cap wise is extending Tuck. Now the way Tuck has played over the past 2 years i get the feeling that many are ready to move on. But extending Tuck coming off of the past 2 years could be a great bargain if he can return to the player he had been. Maybe it’s not worth extending him 3 years but a year for cap relief I don’t think is a bad idea. We don’t know if how good Kiwi will be at a fulltime DE. We don’t know how Ojomo and Tracy will turn out. Kiwi and Tuck are both turning 30 this year so if Tuck is not the answer how can Kiwi be the answer? I think with DT, WR and JPP possibly being major concerns for next offseason having Tuck around for one more year is not a bad idea at the money he’s making now.

How the hell did that bum Victor Cruz win another award while a ‘once in a lifetime’ talent like Will Beatty is ignored?

7.  rlhjr says:

A lot of good reading the last few threads. Good stuff by all.

I think the rebuild mode must always be in the back of any GM’s mind who considers himself on top of his game. The shelf life of professional athletes is not always predictable. And when they lose ability, it can be shocking just how much and how fast that ability can vanish. So I think Reese “Shocking The World” in terms of who he cuts and collects is still very much in play.

That said, I think Reese is now weathering the storm connected with how the Giant offensive line tuned invisible on him. I think most here saw the warning signs and I am sure there was a spike in the attention level paid to them starting at the end of 2008. That did not translate into instant reaction via the draft simply because Reese stuck with the calculations of how long these guys would be effective. He did the right thing as 2011 proved. He also had pressing needs on the other side of the ball. And that side of the ball carries a load of tradition and pride within the Giant organization.

When all is said and done, it what the Giants are all about. Some say this will change and offense has/will take over. Maybe it will. It’s not as if there was not a time in Giant history that offense did not rule the roost. However, when success is over a season or span of seasons was had, the Giant defense was always close if not at the forefront of that success.

My obvious bias toward the defensive side of things, leads me to believe that NFL defensive coordinators and scouts will come to grips with the rule changes and develop antidotes for the poison offenses and the NFL front office are being allowed to spread.

IMHO, it’s going to start with streamlining of the defensive linemen as far as size is concerned. They will become more interchangeable than ever with 300lbs being the norm for interior linemen and about 270 for ends.
    Players weighing in the 350lb range will have to be genetic freaks, capable of carrying such weight and maintaining the speed/agility and stamina requirements. Their offensive counterparts will simply be woefully slow and ill equipped to deal with them.

The best of them will be sort of throw backs to our very own LT and Su or the youngster who plays DT for the Bengals. That is to say they will be quick/agile and brutally strong in the upper body. We have JPP and hopefully the idiotic experiment ballooning him to a preposterous 290lbs is over with. Perhaps they may have wanted him to carry more weight so they could play him inside more.
    They risked killing the very athletic superiority that makes him such an awesome player to start with.

What the Giants needed last year and what they need now is a penetrating disruptive player at DT. Linville need not be ashamed. Austin was supposed to be the guy. Joseph got stuck with trying to play a role he is not suited for.

I’ve stated previously how I believe linebacking will play out in the future.
    250 pounds will become be the ceiling for an NFL linebacker. I think 34 defenses may come into vogue among teams who have the requisite athlete’s to man the four linebacker positions. They all have to be able to react to the passing game. So the line between what we used to call “BOX” safeties and linebacker is going to blur. Defensive backs and “Free Safeties” will become as good at catching passes as receivers. You will not see many if any of those players being more that about 6’2″. Those who are will have athletic measurements agility and 40 times that will boggle the mind.

All this said the Giants will use their first three draft picks this year on defense.
    They will find a tackle, defensive back and linebacker who will vie for playing time THIS SEASON. That’s the plan of attack that I see coming.

The offensive choices will be linemen (I think a center/guard type), running back, tight end and a receiver. Call me crazy, but despite my feeling about the recent draft picks, Reese will find a way to fix the offensive line among those players and the free agent market. These are just my thoughts.