New York Giants Re-Sign Defensive Tackle Shaun Rogers

February 7th, 2013 at 4:00 PM

After spending the last several days cleaning house and releasing familiar faces, the New York Giants announced on Thursday that they have re-signed defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

Rogers was initially signed by the Giants a year ago after the team briefly considered Albert Haynesworth.

“I still most definitely feel that I can bring something to the table. I might not be exactly like I was in ’06, but I still have some tricks and I still have some good push in me," Rogers said after signing his free agent contract in 2012.

The 13-year veteran came into camp in the best physical shape of his career, and was poised to become the big run-stuffing body in the middle New York had lacked since Fred Robbins. Unfortunately, Rogers suffered a serious blood clot in his left calf and would miss the entire season. The injury was so serious that many thought his career in the NFL was over.

However, after releasing Chris Canty, the Giants needed some additional depth and a veteran presence. Now with a clean bill of health, General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. will give Rogers another opportunity.

The 6'4'', 350 lbs monster has played in 156 career games, collecting 504 tackles, 37.5 sacks and 51 stuffs. He's been named to Pro Bowl three times and was a second team All-Pro selection in 2004.

As it stands, he joins Marvin Austin, Linval Joseph and Markus Kuhn on the teams' defensive tackle depth chart.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Shaun Rogers

43 Responses to “New York Giants Re-Sign Defensive Tackle Shaun Rogers”

1 2 3

Cheeseburger … cheeseburger … cheeseburger.

2.  Jason McEwan says:

his is awesome news. GJ JR!!!

3.  Levito says:

Hope the dude can still play!

I don’t mind this move but I think we more than just adding a rookie to Joseph, Rodgers, Austin and Kuhn. Rodgers is very old for a DT so he’s only a 3 DT at most in my view. He’s cheap and could be very effective if used correctly. I guess if Austin or Kuhn was really ready to contribute and we added a draft pick then DT could be alright.

5.  The Original G Man says:

Repost:

FF55Y ftw!

@NotoriousOHM
    Giants have re-signed DT Shaun Rogers

6.  Jason McEwan says:

Did anyone sign that DT from Denver that we brought in last season?

7.  Levito says:

Ralph Vacchiano ?@RVacchianoNYDN
    Difference in salary cap space between Chris Canty and Shaun Rogers: About $7.6M. … Rogers takes up more actual space, though.

•  demo3356 says:

Great deal Cap wise, but Rogers is 5-6 years older than Canty and is not a full time player. He will be a rotational guy playing on 1st downs and 3rd or 4th and short..

8.  demo3356 says:

I’m picturing Daivd Diehl doing his best George Costanza and hiding beneath desks and in closets to avoid seeing “Big Stein” JR and getting his walking papers.

9.  Grateful Giants says:

Getting younger, hungrier, and Wilsoned at RB will also help the O-Line because I think one of the biggest issues with Bradshaw/our run game, was that he could not practice, he didn’t get the perfect timing that he needed to hit the hole as the play is drawn up, as we saw when Brown and WIlson were asked to start and practice.

I heard the Rolle release from one of my GF’s friends, and said there is no way thats happening. He is too valuable to this defense, that is in dire need of a Bada$$.

Also, I just really really hope we figure out a way to keep the majority of our team healthy through training camp…Just a prayer.

10.  Nosh.0 says:

Make or break year for Austin.

Joseph reminds me a lot of Cornelius Griffin/Barry Cofield right now. If he keeps up this current level of play I imagine JR will let him walk next year to be over paid by another team. But if he steps it up and becomes more of a difference maker then I think we pay him. Basically my same thoughts on Beatty if we franchise him.

As for Phillips or Rolle. I’m going with Rolle and I don’t think it’s close. Great leader and player. And to be honest I’d rather have the team hear much more of his voice and less of Justin Tucks.

Best guesses: