February 6th, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Warren Sapp was positive he deserved to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but didn't expect to make it in on the first try because he'd have to oppose retired New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan, who he believes is the "media darling."

“Absolutely [I was concerned]," Sapp told WDAE in Tampa. "Say if I rewind this to Saturday at 12 o’clock me and you are sitting and I say, ‘It breaks down whatever and whatever and then you have Michael Strahan and me. C’mon, the menace and the media darling,' C’mon. Madness, or Good Morning America? I mean, c’mon.”

Strahan is widely supported and adored by fans, viewers, players, coaches and media alike, but that was the case long before he began his media career. He's loved because of his passion for the game and the type of person he is, not because his face is often seen on television. And while Sapp was right about being concerned, it should have been because Strahan was a better football player.

Needless to say, voters didn't see things that way and Strahan was snubbed, while the over-the-top Sapp was voted in.

The irony here is that Sapp, himself, is a member of the media … although perhaps not for long. He was wildly incorrect about tight end Jeremy Shockey being the BountyGate whistleblower, and his meltdown on Super Bowl Sunday over the Ray Lewis murder trial may have been enough to end his tenure with NFL Network.

At the end of the day (royalties to Antrel Rolle), Strahan's moment in Canton will come, and being snubbed in favor of Sapp will be forgotten. When the next generation of football fans look back on history, it'll be no secret that Strahan was a premiere defensive end and one of the best ever, while Sapp will be remembered for being Jekyll-and-Hyde on a daily basis.

Tags: Football, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Warren Sapp

47 Responses to “Warren Sapp Feared Unjustly Losing His Hall of Fame Spot to “Media Darling” Michael Strahan”

1 2 3
  1.  shmitty013 says:

Patricia Traina ?@Patricia_Traina
    Went back to the Boley savings. I erroneously counted the signing bonus twice so cap savings is $4.5M. My apologies for the error.

Extra $1.4 million than what she additionally calculated so that’s good news.

2.  Grateful Giants says:

I saw this too.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina
    …I’m fairly certain that Beatty will get the franchise tag. So still much work to be done with the cap, if I am correct in my assumptions.

Interesting. I would think it’s a lot better to agree to a long term deal so we can have Beatty at a lower cap number. The franchise tag would seem like a last resort, not a first one. If this is the case then draft a OT makes even more sense if Beatty isn’t our long term LT solution.

3.  rlhjr says:

I will love it when the team is 4 to 5 million under. That’s when we’ll know some talented kids are on the way. Still this is good news from Patricia.

4.  kujo says:

3 sources are saying Bradshaw is as good as gone.

5.  rlhjr says:

TO WARREN:
    The evil flee where no man pursueth…………………….

Sapp has always been a bit jealous of Strahan. And a bit put off that he did not end up in New York himself. That said, Sapp was a wonderful player.
    Too bad he’s not really sure of that in his own mind. If he were, he would have no issues with Strahan or anyone else selected to the HOF before him.

By the way Warren, John Randall was WAY better than you. He just didn’t have the same caliber of players around him that you had. BOOK IT

6.  shmitty013 says:

From Ralph Vacchiano:

Michael Boley likely won’t be the only player the Giants cut. Here are the cap savings on some other possibilities:
    Note: “Savings” is the difference between their current salary cap number for 2013 and how much they would count against the cap if they are released. … “Dead money” is the amount they would still count against the Giants’ cap if they are released.

(As always, this information comes with the caveat: “if my math is correct …”)

CB Corey Webster … Savings: $7.25 million (Dead money: $2.725 million)

T David Diehl … Savings: $4.825 million (Dead money: $3 million)

RB Ahmad Bradshaw … Savings: $2.75 million (Dead money: $2.5 million)

CB Terrell Thomas … Savings: $3 million (Dead money: $0) *Note: He will almost certainly be cut (or have his deal re-done) before a $6 million option is due in early March.

DE Osi Umenyiora … Savings $1 million (Dead money: $0) *Note: Umenyiora’s deal is voidable, so this “savings” will happen once it becomes official.

7.  rlhjr says:

So 5.7 dead money. Is that counting what Boley saved?

It’s housecleaning time.

9.  The Original G Man says:

Interesting. So dumping Diehl, TT, and Osi frees up almost $9m in cap room.

Ideally, I’d like to see Bradshaw and Webster restructure to the tune of half of their projected cap numbers, which would free up another $5M in cap room.

I don’t think you cut Bradshaw now if it is really your plan to bring him back at a lower rate. Yes it’s possible but you don’t risk his signing with another team if you were really that concerned. We tried harder to keep Jacobs.

1 2 3