February 6th, 2013 at 6:32 PM
By Paul Tierney

With uncertainty looming over the New York Giants defensive backfield next season, the progress of Terrell Thomas' attempt at returning from his third career ACL tear is as important as ever.Thomas tore his ACL for the second time in as many seasons just a few days into the 2012 preseason. Although it's nearly unheard of for players to come back from three ACL tears at full strength, it appears as if Thomas is on track to do so.

'Terrell Thomas warms up' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Yesterday, Thomas posted on his personal blog that he ran outside of a pool for the first time since his knee surgery.

Today was a great day. For the first time I started with some movement prep exercises where I focused heavily on the hamstrings and quads on the leg press machine and with body lunges.  I completed step-downs to focus on stability. I ran for the first time outside of the pool today where I reached a full jog. There was no swelling or discomfort, I did have a little adjustment but as I kept running it felt fine. I worked on some back pedaling as well, which felt good, very fluid motion.  I also preformed some resistance marches, forward, vertical and backwards. Overall no swelling, pain or discomfort so the first day of running really felt great.

I am very excited and happy on that progress. As I tweeted yesterday, the 2013 season starts today for me. I am doing everything possible to return. Today is day 21 of the thirty-day challenge and I hope everyone is still kicking butt. I am definitely seeing the results but most of all it is about mental toughness and being resilient. You can do anything you put your mind to.

Thomas' ability to run on land is a very significant step in a lengthy recovery process. Obviously, he's nowhere near being ready to play football in the NFL. It's possible that he never gets back to becoming an NFL caliber cornerback or safety. However, 2012 saw the first man in league history return from his third ACL tear and have a successful season.

Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis tore his ACL three times in less than three seasons, all on the same knee. Not only did he earn himself a spot as a starter in Carolina, he posted 103 tackles over 15 games. That's significant production for a player who was supposed to be damaged goods.

Although ACL injuries are tricky and recovery results vary, modern medicine has provided Terrell Thomas hope that he can return to contribute foe the team next season. His contract will need to be restructured and he may have to move to safety, but Thomas' presence in the secondary could be an X-factor in 2013.

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, contract, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

60 Responses to “New York Giants’ Terrell Thomas Runs Outside of a Pool for First Time Since Knee Surgery”

1.  kujo says:

Just in time to jog to Reese’s office and get his pink slip.

2.  nynate says:

Been wondering what sort of evaluation gets done when deciding on whether to keep a coordinator on or not. Like many others I would love to see Fewell and his soft scheme run out of town, and today’s moves show that our front office isn’t one that is afraid to move on from people that aren’t pulling their weight. So I struggle to make sense of why Fewell is still here. Our defence has been ranked very poorly the last two seasons and the only positive point I have seen talked about with regards to the 2012 season is that we were in the top half of the league in points against. The Giants aren’t an organisation that accepts mediocrity so it makes me think that there must absolutely have been some other behind the scenes, unknown to us, reason why the defence sucked, otherwise Perry would surely be gone!
    So maybe the injury problems we had on defence this year were actually much worse than everyone outside of the organisation knew about, and/or the Giants think that the amount of talent that they have on defence is far less to work with than what we all think and these are the reasons why Fewell isn’t being fired.
    The Giants are too good an organisation to keep him around when you look at his defensive results over the last two years unless there were some off field reasons behind those results.

Apparently the evaluation is based on whether you are loyal to Tom Coughlin. If so, you stay unless you are absolutely awful. And while I cannot stand Fewell, he isn’t among the worst in the league. He also isn’t among the best, but since when have we insisted on the best coordinators of late?

•  nynate says:

Everyone is loyal to their boss, unless he is on the hot seat himself and they think they might be in line for his job.

The only thing that makes sense is that the Giants are putting all their eggs in the turnovers and points against baskets. When looking at last years defensive stats compared to Bill Sheridan’s, the last D coordinator to be fired from the Giants, Fewell is only better in those two category types. So the Giants must weigh those stats far more highly than any of the others or surely he would be on the same bus out of town as Bill was. I can see the obvious correlation between having less points scored against you and winning games, but surely there are positive correlations between yards allowed and points scored as well, despite Sheridan’s 2009 stats not really showing that.

3.  demo3356 says:

fanfor55years says:
    February 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Also, while I was in general agreement, kudos to demo and Krow for insisting a house cleaning was ‘a coming. I would imagine every player on the bubble is hoping he doesn’t hear from his agent over the next week or so. jerry’s on the warpath.
    ———————————————————————————————-
    Wasn’t hard to see coming.. Like I have been saying since oct-nov, We had cap issues on horizon, close to 30 UFA, RFA, ERFA and SEVERAL vets making way more than they were worth. Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone..

4.  demo3356 says:

As Promised, this will be a much younger, much hungrier, different team next season. I believe folks are mistaken that call this a rebuild. We are not rebuilding, JR is jut balancing the rosters and the books. It happens to all talented teams at some point. That said we are nowhere near done. 2-3 more big names are going bye bye and many others will need to be restructured

•  rlhjr says:

If they watch any film at all, Diehl will be gone tomorrow.

And yeah, younger, faster and stronger more athletic.
      It had to happen. My prayers are being answered.

•  kujo says:

Younger? Yes.

Different? Certainly.

Hungrier? That remains to be seen. We need an infusion of nastiness and straight up want-to. I like the moves so far, but the jury is still very much out.

•  rlhjr says:

Yes, but those very traits lead to the tenacity and anger that you and the rest of us are looking for. Remember the 24 year old LT? He thought nothing could stop him or his team mates. Even when they were down by 20 in the 4th QTR. That’s the attitude that youth and ability bring.

Those emotions spread like wild fire on a team. And even the vet’s get caught up in it. The more youngsters, the longer the high lasts. Give me talent, the rest will follow provided there is strong leadership via the coordinators, head coach and position coaches. It’s going yo be a really cool ride for the fans. HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS.

5.  kujo says:

Repost:

So, assuming Thomas and Osi’s numbers will be taken off the books within the next few days, our total cap savings is somewhere in the neighborhood of $18 million. Figure they’ll probably approach Eli, Baas, Snee and Rolle about a restructure, and maybe that number goes down another $5-6 million. Could be that we can afford Beatty, one of the WRs and make a play at Phillips after all.

I’m thinking along the same lines, but remember, they still have to sign the rookies.

•  shmitty013 says:

These 3 cuts got us about $3million under the $121.1 million cap. Another $4 million from Osi and Thomas is about $7million under. Hopefully that’s enough for Beatty, but I don’t know. I wouldn’t want to pay him more than $7 million a year. If Diehl is cut, it saves almost $5 million and Webster would be over $7 million saved. A couple restructures and we could have a decent amount of cap space, but we’ll see what happens.

6.  Chad Eldred says:

Rebuilding is a term that crappy teams use to justify being crappy. The league has sought to achieve paroday and they have done an exceedingly good job of making it difficult to stack a roster and keep it that way. That being said, the only way to stay competitive is to be fluid and not get caught standing still. Hanging on to aging vets and bloated contracts is a surefire recipe for anchoring yourself to the cellar. It’s far better to let a guy go a year too soon that to keep him a year too long in today’s league. I think my only surprise is that Deihl has survived until sunset. According to what I understand he will pose more dead money than cap savings, so that may be what keeps him around for now.

•  rlhjr says:

When you have top of the line QB, receivers and backs it’s not rebuilding, it;s reloading. And you do it on the fly. The Giants will remain competitive, but the big time is another season and off season away.

And I’m with on Diehl Chad, maybe he cut his phone off so JR couldn’t talk to him today.

Rebuilding? When a team has Eli, Nicks, Cruz, Randle, JPP, Rolle, Amukamara, Weatherford, Kiwi, Williams, and Hill (even assuming they do not bring back Beatty and KP, which in the case of Beatty, at least, is highly unlikely) they are not rebuilding.

•  Dirt says:

Rebuilding is not only incorrect, but it’s in the exact opposite of what’s happening.

Bradshaw: broken down, not even the best back on the team. Win.

Boley: broken down, conspirator of the worst defense in football. Win.

Canty: broken down, conspirator of the worst defense in football. Win.

Cap space to sign young stars and contributors like Cruz, Beatty, Nicks and Phillips. Win.

The Giants are a better football team today.

8.  Dirt says:

Humbled by hoplax’s comments. I agree FF55 is the top dog. And I love Nosh’s brash difference of opinion.

Now if only Frank were here to explain how Reese just turned $13M into a weekend of powdery white fun for Kate Mara’s nose, my day would be complete!

•  kujo says:

Can’t believe my concoction of sophomoric humor, verbose argumentation and penchant for being wrong didn’t rank on Hoplax’s list.

Since I was one that said rebuild let me explain.rlhjr said using the word reload exactly what I meant: “the Giants will remain competitive, but the big time is another season and off season away.” I don’t think these releases actually put us in reload mode for 2013 but I was stating if we coupled these with webster and snee also being released. That many new starters and new players in key roles just means very likely no SB to me in 2013. If we keep Snee and Webster with restructured deals I think we have enough vets and enough young will be invested to still condend for the SB while reloading in 2013.

•  kujo says:

I see no reason why a moderate increase in the quality of our offensive line play, coupled with a commensurate improvement in the effectiveness of our running game and the boost a healthy Nicks, a more experienced Randle and a typically awesome Cruz, will not yield at least one more win on the season. Combine that with our defense being at least average, and maybe we have another one.

These are realistic goals. Totally attainable.

I agree. But I don’t think you improve the OL by too much change. Maybe 2 new starters can lead to an effective unit but anymore than that even if talented won’t be better in 2013.

From what we have seen the last 2 years I don’t think the defense being average is a given even if the talent says it should be better. I agree with F55 in that I’m worried about our defensive interior, DT and MLB. I’m also worried about our depth at CB, even moreso if we cut Webster.

•  kujo says:

Re: the OL. How much worse can they be?

I’ve been talking about the interior of this defense since 2008. I thought Linval and Canty were going to fix that, and for awhile they did, at least in part. Add Austin to the bunch and I felt we had a shot at having one of the better DT units in the NFL. But the best laid plans of mice and men, right?

We need a middle linebacker and a run stuffing DT. I’ve made my opinion clear on the former (if I read that so and so is “not the solution” at middle linebacker one more time, I’m going to throw this laptop across the house), and I think we can find the latter in the 3rd or 4th round of this year’s draft.

I think the OL was much better than popular belief. The running game was light years better with all 3 RBs averaging over 4.7 ypc. The pass blocking is still an issue but I think that’s improved by replacing Diehl. The OL is aging and lacks depth but the unit wasn’t our issue last year IMO.

I think when discussing cap space from these releases soem are forgetting people like Bennet and Boothe that will cost money as well. Also we still need a replacement for Canty because I don’t believe Joseph, Austin, Kuhn and a rookie is enough at DT. We also will likely spend at least a little something on LBs in free agency. Plus we have draft picks to draft and sign. And RFAs Stevie Brown and Cruz (if he isn’t signed long term). Basically, I don’t see much money to play with. If we do re-sign KP the roster will even see more new faces.

•  kujo says:

I’m on the pro-Bennett bandwagon. He was awesome this year, and gave us exactly what we want out of a Giants TE. Take away that stretch where he was playing on a badly injured knee, and he could have easily had the best receiving production we’ve had out of a TE since Shockey. He should be retained, and I don’t think it would cost much to do so.

As to Boothe, I think he’s the definition of a “good” player, not a great one. He’s not someone you dedicate precious cap space to, particularly when you could draft someone in the 2nd-4th round and probably get the same production, for cheaper. The money on the OL needs to go to Beatty and whoever we get to replace Diehl and Locklear at RT.

•  jfunk says:

Bennett DID have the best receiving production we’ve had since Shockey, despite his knee injury.

Everybody knows I slobber all over the guy, but while I will be disappointed if we don’t bring him back I won’t be devastated. I’ll assume that means we can expect to see pretty good production from Robinson this year.

I think Bennett provided a two way TE. I think his production is better than credited because it was his first in this system. First year guys rarely have success in this system even guys like Cruz and Ballard had a year in the system before playing. If he returns and Nicks is healthy he could be great for us. Robinson being ready IMO should have little influence in keeping Bennett because we could use 2 TEs that are both all around players. If we don’t re-sign Bennett we need another TE even if Robinson is ready.

We can only draft so many in the early rounds. I have CB, DT, OT and LB as big needs too. The draft can only fix so many areas. It might be cheaper to draft a starter for Boothe but that also takes away drafting for an area of need. You might be right in that’s the correct move. But I think it’s tricky with our needs growing as we cut players.

I don’t think much is going into the RT position. free agent wise. Only a Lockear type of signing. Though I think we could spend a high round draft choice at OT.

•  kujo says:

Great quality DTs and LBs can be had in the 3rd or 4th round. Ditto OGs. CBs and OT are 1st or 2nd round selections if you are seeking anything other than a project.

My point is the quantity of our selctions. My idea is the first 4 rounds we are drafting for starters and immediate contributors this year. The issue is that now our needs are growing and we simply don’t have enough 1-4 round selections to address the level of needs we have at so many positions if we don’t re-sign Boothe or a vet free agent guard.