New York Giants’ Linval Joseph, Three Others Reach Contract Escalators

February 6th, 2013 at 11:10 AM

As Giants 101 reported at the end of the January, wide receiver Hakeem Nicks, tackle David Diehl and guard Chris Snee all reached contract escalators that will increase their 2013 salaries. As it turns out, they were not alone, and Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports that New York Giants defensive tackle Linval Joseph also reached a contract escalator that will increase his 2013 salary from $575,000 to $630,000.

To recap, the escalators will raise Snee's salary from $6.45 million to $6.7 million, Diehl's salary from $4.1 million to $4.475 million and Nicks' salary from $2.425 million to $2.725 million.

Of course, Nicks' salary is subject to change anyway as the Giants view him as a top priority this offseason, and will be looking to reach a long-term deal with him.

In total, it added $980,000 to the Giants' 2013 cap number (again, pending a deal for Nicks). That pushed them even further over the projected cap for 2013, but they recently trimmed a large amount of space by releasing linebacker Michael Boley, and appear poised to clear more space by releasing running back Ahmad Bradshaw.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Snee, David Diehl, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Linval Joseph, Michael Boley, New York, New York Giants, NFL

35 Responses to “New York Giants’ Linval Joseph, Three Others Reach Contract Escalators”

Now look at them yo-yo’s that’s the way you do it
    You play bad football on the NYG
    That ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it
    Money for nothin’ and chicks for free

Snee contract (6/24/2008) is six-year, $41.25 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $13.5 million signing bonus. Another $2 million is available through escalators. 2013: $6.7 million, 2014: $6.95 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

Does anyone know what would make 2014 Voidable?

•  Krow says:

Only a divorce.

Can Snee give us about $14MM of value over the next two years while we groom his replacement? Hard to be confident about that, especially because he can no longer pull very well.

Scary when you realize we could upgrade at every position on the offensive line (except, perhaps, center because good ones are hard to find and I think Baas is better than most).

But even if we COULD void Snee’s 2014 deal, could Mara and Reese really do that if TC isn’t retiring? They run the team as a Triumverate and we know Mara has tremendous respect for Tom. It would be very tough to pull the plug on his son-in-law given the “Giants’ family” culture the team has maintained for many years. If it appears someone else can play the position in 2014 perhaps TC will encourage Snee to retire. Really, for someone who is smart enough to have invested most of his money is the after-tax addition of about $3.5MM in 2014 worth another year of pounding and taking the chance that TC’s grandchildren will have a debilitated father?

Joseph better have a really good 2013 if he wants a second contract from us. I thought he was a MAJOR disappointment this past season. Between Canty’s injury, Tuck’s mediocrity, Osi getting no help from any inside pressure that would have given him more options against offensive tackles, and Joseph’s poor play, no wonder this team couldn’t stop the run. They’d have needed Dick Butkus at MIKE to make up for the terrible play of the front four (minus JPP, who was pretty good anyway despite having 90% of every offensive blocking scheme directed toward stopping him).

•  kujo says:

I’m of the opinion that he was drafted to be a space filler, due to his size and strength. But he hasn’t done much to generate the sort of double teams you’d expect, partially because teams know that he isn’t much of a pass rushing threat, and neither is Canty or Bernard. That’s the biggest weakness in my eyes–our rotation at DT consists of two “space eaters” and an old man. Austin has been a nonentity, and I’ll believe in the German when he replicates his surprising performance next season.

Just like their offensive counterparts, the interior of our DL is weak and causes the bread and butter of our defense–pass rushing ends– to falter.

4.  The Original G Man says:

?@RVacchianoNYDN
    It all depends on how you count it, but a source tells me Giants are still about $4-5M over the projected cap after the Boley cut …

?@RVacchianoNYDN
    …but much of that comes off by not picking up Terrell Thomas’ option (save: $3M) and when Osi Umenyiora’s contract officially voids ($1M).

Good news there, but still a LONG way to go because they need to sign some of their own, and sign up their draft class.

I think the Bradshaw decision will be one of the easier ones.

I think what to do about Canty, Webster and Phillips are REALLY tough.

Much as I love Will Hill and respect what Stevie Brown did last season, I really think they should do what they can to retain KP. It doesn’t look like they’ll have the money, but I think Reese should find it wherever he needs to get it from.

Canty and Webster are both questions of health. If they can get a good three seasons out of Canty then restructure him (which could help a lot). If Webster wasn’t really hurt (and I mean more than a moderate hamstring pull) then don’t restructure and let him play out the contract or cut him.

I’d also go to Rolle and seek an extension and restructuring. I think he’s got five more good years in him. He’d definitely be someone I’d target for restructuring because it would be to his advantage and the team’s.

5.  jfunk says:

I still think Bradshaw has value. What I’d offer him is to eliminate his $1.5M bonus and in exchange fully guarantee his 2013 salary so he knows he’s safe. That means he’d only cost $1.25M over cutting him and we’d have all of his “dead” money off the books next year.

It’s more money than he’s going to get from another team in 2013 and the Giants have a reliable team leader type that can be counted on to start if needed, especially should they suffer RB injuries late in the season/post season.

This only makes sense if the Giants believe they have a shot at the title in 2013 and aren’t “reloading”. If they’re operating under the idea that they’re nothing but a longshot for 2013, then it’d be better to save the cash and fill his spot with another young guy to evaluate.

•  rlhjr says:

I think a lot of Giants have learned from the paths taken by Smith, Shockey (although he did manage a ring) Jacobs and Kevin Boss. They will come out better sticking with the Giants vice running at the $$. Strictly based on the players current/future financial situation and their love of the game.

My take is those who are keeping the Giants over that cap will be gone.
      Those who will cost the Giants to cut will stick around one more year.
      None of the young promising guys are going anywhere.

Steve Brown may be allowed to walk. Will Hill is going to be a fixture here. I’ve yet to see that kid make a bad tackle of take the wrong angle in pursuit of the ball in flight or a runner. Deadly tackler fast and physical is Hill.

6.  rlhjr says:

The Giants are forward thinking. However, there has been a slight disconnect between the front office and the ground pounders. This is only my opinion.

I do think there is a strict financial philosophy afoot. The Giants are forward/future looking financially. And there is nothing wrong with that if you want to stay in business. This organization is not trendy. They run via common since sometimes to a fault. Please see, “stepping outside the box of conventional thinking” to understand what I mean.

Suffice to say that the Giants operate at low risk. The draft after all is said and done is still a crap shot. All the best intentions can produce a true lemon.
    It comes with the territory.

This team will sometimes hold on to a player too long because of loyalty, or frugality. They often try to squeeze the last vestage of ability out of a vet.
    Witness the offensive line which was clearly held onto about two years too long. These were blue collar guys who understood coming to work every day. But they petered out almost simultaneously. LESSON hopefully LEARNED.

The Giants tragically (IMHO) seem to believe that a dominant defensive line will cover for garbage at the linebacking positions. It has after all worked previously. Thing is I suspect a paradigm shift in the organizations thinking in two key areas needs must be made.

The Giant front office will not spend a ton of money on offensive lineman. Nor will they absorb the cost of all around linebackers. The Giants want to rely on coaching to bring low round (AKA cheap) draft picks up to snuff.

The issue going forward is those positions that the team traditionally attached less importance to have rapidly become the positions where you must augment with really good athletes. They all have to be big, strong and able to run.
    All the excellent coaching in the world cannot teach those attributes.
    At some point, Mr. Mara and Reese need to conceed that fact of life.

This is an excellent organization from both the people/player and fiscal standpoint. They are far from foolish and I for one am very proud of that.

That however, does not stop the other side of my brain from longing to see them make a move every once in a while that leaves us all gasping for air.
    I’m pretty sure the front office considered selecting JPP with their first round pick that type of move. And if that is what we can expect, I can learn to like it.
    But they need to focus on selecting a JPP for this linebacking corps.
    And selecting two more JPP’s to play along the offensive line.

Fortunately, I am confident they will learn and recover from some minor misjudgments. What is inspirational about this team is that while the fore mentioned offensive line was in process of crumbling, the franchise won a Super Bowl. That’s pretty damn nifty.

•  jfunk says:

I see what you’re saying, but I think the Giants HAVE spent the money necessary to “fill the void” left by their frugal approach to the OL and LB spots.

Pierce, McKenzie, Baas, and Boley are all guys that they spent money to bring in and inject talent when they felt they needed a boost to the JAG brigade…and those guys all made big contributions to Championships in exactly that capacity.

I say well played.

Good post.

7.  HopLax says:

Hey guys. Just catching up and I realize this post is a thread or 2 too late, but…..

I am long time member of G101 going back to the MVN days (or whatever the site acronym was called back then). I visit the blog and read the articles/comments nearly everyday. I’m in grad school up in Boston, finishing up a dual degree, have a steady gf, play club sports, so not much time to post. But when I do, I think it is something that needs to be said on here.

The main reason I come here and why I followed G101 through its numerous transformations was because of FF55′s insightful and prescient posts. IMHO, no one on this blog has been more right, more often than he. His analysis goes far deeper and in much more detail than most posts, which I greatly appreciate. His Giants knowledge and football acumen has the highest level of credibility in my opinion. He may not always be right (which some of you incessantly rub in his face), but if I were going to bet on anyone’s opinion here, it would be his. That’s the highest praise I can give a poster on this site.

Fortunately, over time more members of G101 have been added to my “must read” list when I am running short of time. Off the top of my head they include: Krow, Norm, Demo, Dirt, junk, Samar, Bearcat, Creewen, PittsbugJim, Original G and of course Dan and Haz. There are others I am leaving off my list and there will be others added to my list in the future.

In my world credibility counts. Some opinions are worth more than others.

Thanks, but watch out. The posse may now come riding for you too.

Still playing club sports? I hope the lax leagues up there are a bit more civilized than those around NYC.

You should try to post more. Understood that you’re busy, but all insights welcome.

•  HopLax says:

I was getting a little pissed off at the undue s’hit thrown at you by Nosh and Chad.

I stopped reading the self-declared social media maven’s (Nosh) posts when he needlessly insinuated that Prince Amukamora was gay because he had a pink iPhone cover. Of course he wasn’t sharp enough to connect the dots that it was also breast cancer awareness month. He has other momentous faux paus as well. But, it is hard for me to take anyone on this site seriously when they post their glee at buying the “latest and greatest” Nike sneakers for $225.

As for Chad, well he just wants to snipe at you because your the big dog on here. Consider the attention he showers on you envy.

•  rlhjr says:

Long time no hear from “Hoops”

•  HopLax says:

I neglected to add Luzz, Goat56 and TroyThorne to my must read list. Apologies.

8.  F0XLIN says:

My buddy runs the Gotham league if you ever move down here…it’s civilized enough

Truthfully, I’m going way back (literally to the wood stick days…yeah, I’m THAT old). I found that the 40-year-olds would eventually start wielding the sticks like clubs to slow the “youngsters” down. I used to have to go back and take long, hot, baths to even begin to recover from the beatings I got.

I’ve tried to convince my son (who was a very good player but almost certainly not in HopLax’s class) to join the Gotham league but he’s very busy and didn’t have the urge. Too bad. I’d love to go see some games again up close and personal.

•  HopLax says:

I did play for a notable club team when I worked on Wall Street after Hopkins. Now I play on my b-school/law school team which isn’t all that serious, but it is still fun. A good group of guys but our brand of lax is not great because we don’t practice much with the rigors of school.

9.  LUZZ says:

C’mon guys, can’t we all just along.

FF55 – Your analysis is top notch, always has been. You get confirmation on this on a regular basis. don’t let Nosh or anyone get your goat.

Your the top dog on here, everyone knows it. As top dog you draw the arrows, even from me at times. but I would never challenge your insight on the Gmen. Guns, religion, society is all fair game, but you’ve taught me a lot about my favorite team, and still do. Keep posting, always.

•  HopLax says:

You said it better than I did and in less words, touché. I am glad there are others here that realize and acknowledge the contributions FF55 makes to this blog.

10.  rlhjr says:

I think posting on here is (football sometimes life) educational. FF55 I feel understands the level of respect he has. Certainly there are not many posters who don’t bring something special unique and pertinent to the table.

The exception would be some of the “new” players. However they learn the ropes pretty quick. No, we all cannot be right all of the time. Thankfully we can all learn from being wrong, and hopefully maintain modesty while being right. The single most difficult thing to NOT say is “I TOLD YOU SO”.

One thing none of us should ever be is afraid of is posting what is on our mind.
    There is really good football knowledge and insight to be had on here daily.
    When I first became a Giants fan, it was common knowledge that Giant fans were among the most knowledgeable in all of football. The rep took a serious hit in the mid eighties due to the San Diego Charger snowball bottle throwing fiasco. Time and this site have come a long way toward bringing that reputation back where it belongs.