February 4th, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Many believed retired New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan was a shoo-in for the Pro Football Hall of Fame; a first ballot "gimmie." Unfortunately, when the class of 2013 was revealed lst Saturday, Strahan's name was not among them. Instead, he sat back and watched as the names of Jonathan Ogden, Larry Allen, Cris Carter, Warren Sapp and Bill Parcells were read.

Undoubtedly disappointed, Strahan's first reaction was not one of bitterness, but of humor.

“I didn’t make the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year but I did win the DirecTV Beach Bowl MVP," Strahan tweeted.

He was also quick to congratulate those who had made it in ahead of him, and described his snub as a "delayed blessing."

“Thanks for the HOF tweets,” Strahan tweeted. “I love you all and I hope I eventually make it in. I look at it as a delayed blessing and I have many now!”

Leading up the announcements, several former teammates laughed at the notion of Strahan not making it in. Justin Tuck said it would be a "black, and gloomy day for the NFL" if Strahan was passed over. Meanwhile, Osi Umenyiora said there would be a lot of furniture destroyed if his friend was snubbed.

Even former teammate Shaun O'Hara took to Twitter to express his shock and disappointment.

“Still in shock that my man Michael Strahan didn’t get in HOF. Best all around DE … Never came off field, played run better than any DE,” he tweeted.

Despite the surprise here in 2013, it's an inevitability that Strahan is eventually elected to the Hall. It's unfortunate it didn't happen during his first year of eligibility, but like Bill Parcells before him, it's only a matter of time.

Tags: Bill Parcells, Football, Justin Tuck, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

14 Responses to “Retired New York Giants DE Michael Strahan Looks at Hall of Fame Snub as “Delayed Blessing””

Look at the bright side … could be worse … what if Tiki got in. LOL

2.  Chad Eldred says:

Absolute snub. Naturally I’m biased, but Strahan belongs in there. Carter and Ogden I can live with, but Sapp and Allen? I’m fine with those guys getting in, Sapp was as dominant in his prime as any, but not ahead of Strahan. Strahan was a complete player and a true leader.

I think Strahan didn’t get in because of two reasons.

#1 – Parcells. Parcells rose to fame as the coach of the Giants. We’re the team he’s most identified with. They weren’t putting two Giants in the Hall in 2013.

#2 – With the 2014 Superbowl in NYC wouldn’t it be great to have Strahan inducted there? Yeah, it would. The NFL sweats the details.

Seeya next year Michael.

4.  rlhjr says:

Already voiced my views on why 92 was not put in. He will make it in.

REPOST:

Thank you Krow; Most of you know how much I think of Cruz. I dig his ability and the fact that he had to work his rear off the get where he is.
    I can not begrudge him asking for more money. Get while you can is a good rule of thumb for any professional athlete, especially one engaging in football.

But I chose Nicks and here is why:

At the end of the day, when Hakeem Nicks is on his game, there are not many better than him in the game. And I am being honest as I can be. Imagine what we saw in Boldin last night. Then add speed (no Nicks is not faster than Cruz but much faster than many think) more physical strength and size, a better pattern runner and absolutely SICK leaping ability.

In other words, Boldin is excellent and Nicks is head and shoulders better than Boldin.

Nicks does things so smoothly and powerfully, that you can be luled into thinking he’s not all that. He makes it look easy. I’d venture to say if you spoke candidly to those whose job it is to cover him, you would come away with new found respect for his ability.

I still have to bring back the passes he caught against Green Bay and late in the game against New England. Nicks was easily 40 inches off the ground on those occasions. It’s kind of easy to miss that, partly because you don’t believe what you just saw. No defensive back playing now or ever could have stopped those receptions. I’d say Nicks can “get up” to the tune of 44 inches. That’s David Thompson territory, in a freaking football uniform? He’s a “Straight Freak”.

Anyway, you can always build around a guy like Nicks. He is a true stud.
    Cruz is an outstanding complement who would be nice to have. Roddy White was being a jerk, but that does not mean he was wrong. “THE BIG BOYS PLAY ON THE OUTSIDE”. We can find another Cruz, but a first round top ten draft pick would be required to find another Nicks. All the above is IMHO.

•  Levito says:

I agree for the most part. The only knock I have on Nicks is he’s always banged up. Banged up to the point where he misses a game or 2 every season, and he arguably should have missed more this past season. When he’s in, he’s really solid, and when he’s healthy he’s as good as they come.

Cruz definitely hasn’t been as effective when Nicks isn’t playing (or healthy). But as many hard hits as we’ve seen Cruz take, he never misses more than a play and doesn’t show up on the injury reports. I’d still take Nicks over Cruz if we could only have one, but I really hope we can see the two of them in a Giants uniform for the next several years.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Thoughts on the SB:

Good to see An old friend from college get a ring! Very happy for Dude.

Nothing made me happier than seeing Jim Harbaugh and the rest of that whining loser team lose.

Officiating was one of the worst i’ve ever seen in a big game.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

‘Cept for the Seahawks/Steelers Super Bowl. That officiating was ridiculous.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

And i’m not talking about Harbaugh whining about that no-call hold. That was actually the right call on that play.

I don’t mind letting the guys play, but i not blowing the whistle and throwing flags when they shouldnt have…. Terrible crew.

+10000

You could almost convince me there was a conspiracy to reestablish the Steelers as a great franchise. The officiating was so one-sided, and blatant, that the game was literally disgusting. I’ve seen plenty of poorly officiated games, but that was the worst of them all, and that it happened in the Super Bowl was completely inexplicable.

Ate about an entire bag of Kettle Chips yesterday.

7.  TonyMW says:

I also echo the belief that Nicks is a superior player to Cruz, but lets not pretend that Cruz would be easy to replace. He wouldn’t be. It’s easy to say that “it would take a top 10 pick to find another Nicks”, but if the draft were redone with hindsight in mind, Cruz would undoubtedly be right up there with him.

Sure, he hasn’t have the physicality, hands, or catching radius that Nicks does, but his route running, and ability after the catch are not easily matched in the current NFL. Plus, the dude stays healthy. That tends to be an underrated trait in some lines of thinking.

It makes sense though. If Nicks comes back healthy, and lights it up next season, they will probably have a very tough time retaining him. His value is currently at its lowest, now is the time to get it done. I have a strong feeling that Cruz gets tendered, but I hope it doesn’t get to that point.

•  rlhjr says:

I think you are right Tony. Make no mistake, I do feel Cruz is top of the line talent. Nicks advantage is his size and physically freakish nature of his game.