Players, Coaches & Owners React to Bill Parcells’ Hall of Fame Selection

February 3rd, 2013 at 9:15 AM

In his second year of eligibility, long-time NFL head coach Bill Parcells has been voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It was an announcement many felt was a destined to happen, and when his name was called on Saturday night, several big names from around the league were quick to praise the man for what he meant to football and their respective organizations.

Of course, the New York Giants were on the top of that list.

John Mara, New York Giants Co-Owner and CEO

“I’m very happy for Bill. This is long overdue. He’s one of the best coaches in NFL history. He turned our franchise around. We went through a long period in the 1960’s and 70’s when we were a laughing stock. When Bill took over in 1983 he survived a very difficult first year, but then turned us into a perennial playoff contender and won two Super Bowls for us. He coached three other teams and everywhere he went, he had great success. I’m very happy that he will be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.”

Tom Coughlin, New York Giants Head Coach

“I don’t think there’s any question that Bill Parcells is a Hall of Fame coach. … When I think of Bill Parcells, what stands out to me is the great opportunity that he gave me in 1988 to come to the New York Giants organization as the wide receivers coach and really to learn football at this level and more importantly, from an organizational standpoint, winning. That came from Wellington Mara, George Young, to Bill Parcells, to the way in which he conducted his staff and his team."

Lawrence Taylor, Retired Hall of Fame Linebacker

"I don't know if I could've done it without Bill Parcells. He didn't force me to play like everyone had played the last daggone 60 years. He allowed me to be more of an athlete instead of a linebacker, and I think that says a lot about his greatness. If I'd played for another coach on another team, I probably would've been a good player. But Bill was the one who made me LT."

Robert Kraft, New England Patriots Owner

"It is well deserved. As a Patriots fan, I will always appreciate the credibility he brought to our franchise as a two-time Super Bowl champion. We had never had a head coach with those credentials. I am very happy for Bill and look forward to his enshrinement ceremonies."

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots Head Coach

Bill Parcells has been thought of as one of the all-time greats for a long time, so it is with great pride that we can officially refer to him as a Hall of Famer. He deserves all the recognition he is getting and for his career to be celebrated in Canton forever.”

Woody Johnson, New York Jets Owner

"Bill Parcells infused new life into this franchise on many levels. From acquiring players like Curtis Martin to bringing back a winning culture, we will always be grateful to Bill for his contributions to the New York Jets."

Tags: Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Football, John Mara, Lawrence Taylor, New England Patriots, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Woody Johnson

15 Responses to “Players, Coaches & Owners React to Bill Parcells’ Hall of Fame Selection”

1.  kujo says:

Schefter reporting that the Giants are focusing on signing Nicks to a longterm this offseason. Thank God. Really want that done.

But that cannot be, can it? After all, Nosh has been telling all how wrong I am about my views of Nicks and Cruz and how Reese will deal with that.

Nosh, love you man, but you used an awfully huge cascade of words to be dead wrong. Hope you’ll acknowledge that.

And if anyone doubts my view of how the Giants are viewing the Cruz situation, you’re wrong about that too. Arrogance on my part? No, just confirmation that my opinions are useful. I never mind being disagreed with, but I don’t love it when someone starts making statements that insist that I’m more wrong than I have been while making arguments that don’t stand up once the future is written. Nosh did that. He is wrong. Just for the record.

•  nick86 says:

I cant speak for Nosh. But im a little surpised by this, considering Nicks injury/durability problems. Is this turning into a A brown / m Wallace situation?

A buddy of mine has workd with Nicks out at the Espys this year and said hes a real humble guy. Maybe the thought is these negotiations will be easier and set a baseline for Cruz negotiations…. this could get contentious.

The thought is that Nicks is a potential HOF receiver and FAR more important and better than is Cruz. Period. Humility and ease of negotiation hasn’t a thing to do with it.

2.  Dirt says:

When we watch the game tonight, clearly we will not see a more classy player than Ray Lewis:

LOL.

I suspect most of us knew all about Ray Lewis years ago, but this is pretty ridiculous.

Many years ago I learned that a good way to judge athletes and other “celebrities” was how they behaved when there were no cameras around. There are a number of members of the Giants (among them Eli, a few members of the O-line, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, Rolle, Blackburn, Boley, Carr, Weatherford, Tynes, and a few others I’m sure I’m forgetting) who have been at charity events I’ve attended where there was no press and they did more than just show up and schmooze. They participated in charity auctions, spent time with some kids, in one case sang a really badly sung song, etc. Anothe New York athlete who does that stuff ALL the time is Mariano Rivera. A truly nice man who is as humble as they come.

Ray Lewis, and plenty of his cohort, are frauds who do “charity” in order to “build their brand”. Revolting.

3.  TuckThis says:

Agreed!

Wonder how the NY/NJ organizing committee is feeling today? It’s actually a great day for football, but many will not be happy.
    How come it’s okay to play the AFC or NFC Championship games in cold weather, but the Super Bowl is verboten? Silly.

•  Krow says:

Money and spectacle. This is virtually a national holiday. They want all the pageantry to come off right … and the spectator experience to be perfect.

Any GM with half a brain was trying to sign/extend them both. I doubt it started now. Seems fishy. For all we know this sudden burst of Nicks publicity could be a ploy to pressure Cruz.

•  kujo says:

My thoughts exactly.

I don’t think so. I think it’s simply an indication of which guy they consider critical for the future.

Cruz will get his money if he’s reasonable (and maybe even if he’s unreasonable from someone else), but he is not nearly as important as is Nicks.

I just don’t understand why people are so reluctant to admit that while Victor Cruz is a tremendous player the presence of Nicks for another 4-5 years and of Randle for at least four more years, and the ability to use Jernigan or someone else who can get us 85% of Cruz’s production, makes him expendable, especially when they could get a high draft pick in exchange.

My guess is, as it has always been, that he is tendered this season and despite a possible holdout until part-way into the season, plays for us in 2013. In 2014 he’s probably gone unless Nicks or Randle gets hurt.

Reese cannot pressure Cruz. Nor does he have to do so. He knows he has him for 2013 at $2.3MM, which we can afford. Cruz knows that if he will do a reasonable deal he will be able to stay here but if he’s willing to go elsewhere he will get more money for playing, even if quite possibly less overall because of fewer endorsement and other income.

And pace Nosh, but given what I’m pretty certain is the plan Reese has, if he could get a team to hand over a #1 pick for Cruz before April I suspect he’d be dancing in the aisles. That would be a trade of a guy we don’t desperately need and who would have to get paid significant dollars against the cap to keep to get a shot at a player we absolutely DO need in an area of weakness and keep him for the next 5 years on the cheap. That the logic behind that is not obvious to all bewilders me.

5.  kujo says:

I see there has been some serious argumentation about the value of Nicks and Cruz, and which one we ought to sign. As anyone who has been around here for the last few years knows, I was a late bloomer to the Cruz wagon. Some saw the talent right away–rlhjr, first among them–whereas I wanted to see production against NFL defenses in the regular season before I bought the hype. I eventually did, and have been a huge fan of his since. I think he is a great player, surely the best slot receiver in the NFL, and presents incredible value to us within our offense. He is everything Steve Smith was good at, and everything Smith was lacking. His play speaks for itself, and I want him on my team.

Nicks, on the other hand, is a #1 receiver, your franchise guy. BigBlueGiants and others want to question his durability, and I say screw it. He’s a big boy who plays big and plays through pain. Was he banged up this year? Hell yeah. But when healthy–which is more often than not, BTW–he is ELITE, can run every route and can go up and get the big catches. I’ve never bought the hype propagated by FF55 about Nicks being a HoFer in the making, but he is your franchise receiver, not Cruz.

6.  rlhjr says:

Lawrence Taylor, Retired Hall of Fame Linebacker

“I don’t know if I could’ve done it without Bill Parcells. He didn’t force me to play like everyone had played the last daggone 60 years. He allowed me to be more of an athlete instead of a linebacker, and I think that says a lot about his greatness. If I’d played for another coach on another team, I probably would’ve been a good player. But Bill was the one who made me LT.”

We have a JPP whom the Giant coaching staff will not let play to his over the top potential. Hate Parcells all you want. On some points I agree. But don’t get it twisted, he had a since of how to get the best out of “HIS” guys. And he also knew when to STFU and get out of the way. And he had help even though he may not think so. In specific, Bill Belichick and Marty Schottenheimer who coached linebackers for the Giants during that time.

Right now the Giants have only Jerry Reese who recognizes just how special JPP could be if allowed to rush the passer both standing up and with a hand in the dirt. And for the insipid among us, I’m not talking about turning him into a linebacker. I’m talking about letting him be the elite athlete he was born to be vice a plodding overweight DE. Get rid of Fewell when the time comes and get someone with an imagination……….please. Before this kid and other talented young defenders are wasted.

7.  wrdag says:

Granted as a NYG fan maybe I’m to biased and someone help me out if I’m wrong….but watching the two careers of one Warren Sapp versus Michael Strahan the HOF vote is quite shocking. Sapp a first time ballot HOF??? Strahan is one of the great sack guys who was not a one trick pony. You get make the case that he played the run as well or better than rushing the passer. Warren Sapp was good, perhaps HOF but first ballot of Strahan, I’m quite surprised.
    Even his own hometown had doubts.

•  Krow says:

Of course it’s not like Strahan needs another good thing to happen to him. He’s on a roll. Next year … year after … he goes to the Hall. It’ll happen.