February 2nd, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Former New York Giants cornerback William James, who previously went by the name Will Peterson, has been sentenced to seven months in federal prison for failing to file a 2005 tax return.

James, who owed the IRS more than $470,000 based on his $5.5 million salary that year, has already served four months in prison while awaiting his trial. As part of his plea deal, he will pay the IRS the $470,254 owed, and then, of course, finish serving out the remaining three months of his sentence. Upon his release, he will be placed on one year of probation.

Although James pleaded guilty to one count of tax evasion, he has been accused of not filing his taxes from 2005 to 2009.

As part of his defense, James' attorney told the federal judge that his client had suffered from post-concussion syndrome, which left him mentally impaired. However, the judge dismissed the argument after James failed to take part in the class action lawsuit filed against the NFL by former players.

"I played the game because I love the game and I know [what] comes with the game," James told the judge.

James, then Peterson, was drafted in the third-round of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Giants. He spent five seasons with the team before joining the Philadelphia Eagles in 2006. He also spent time with the Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, Detroit Lions and San Francisco 49ers.

He will be released from prison in early June.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, William James

8 Responses to “Former New York Giants CB William James Sentenced to Prison Time for Unpaid Taxes”

1.  Dirt says:

I started reading the article feeling bad for him. Then once I read his patently absurd excuse, I now am glad this scumbag who reaped the rewards of this society will spend some more time thinking about how he intentionally didn’t pay his dues behind bars.

•  Krow says:

Most tax laws kowtow to the wealthy and powerful, so I’m opposed to anyone getting punished for tax evasion until some bankers go to jail first.

•  jfunk says:

Don’t really care about Will #2 all that much, but until some of the folks that make their millions by adjusting percentages in Excel and avoid paying much of any taxes by adjusting a few more cells get thrown in jail, I’m morally opposed to anybody that earned their millions with blood and sweat going to jail over a failure to file.

Make him pay the money he owes, no reason to make him do time.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I hear what you’re say Jfunk, but without holding a jail sentence or something like that over his head, how would you ever get anyone to actually PAY back taxes?

He won’t be going to some Maximum Prison anyway. He’ll be at the County County Club with all the other white collar crime criminals.

2.  GmenMania says:

Anybody see that the idiot S.W.A.T.S. owner Ross (a.k.a. deer antler spray guy) is now dropping the names Brett Favre, TO, Johnny Damon, Carlos Peña, Vijay Singh, and the whole of the Auburn and Alabama national championship teams?

I’d be willing to wager that almost all of those claims are untrue.

Seriously? People think this bum is entitled to a pass because “rich people get away with not paying their fair share”?

I won’t get into politics (heaven forbid we do that) but as someone who feels similarly to Phil Mickelson about the 62-64% of my annual earnings that disappear into government coffers, and has never left a single penny out of his reported earnings even though as the owner of a business it would be easy to do so and get away with it, I think anyone who cheats on his taxes deserves to be shamed, and sentenced if caught. That isn’t because I agree with our current President that I “didn’t build that” and that I owe all of my success to the good graces of the American political/economic structure (of COURSE I owe some of my opportunities to that wonderful system, but so does everyone else and they didn’t all make successes of themselves and when this country was founded it was done on the basis of hard work, yeoman farmers, and neighbors helping each other but not to the extent that we become a nation of pigs at the trough of the public treasury). I do it because it is the law of the land and you don’t get to choose whether you abide by those. Well, actually, you DO get to make that choice, but you’d better make it with the knowledge that there are consequences to violating them, and not cry about it if you are caught and punished for doing so.

I happen to think our tax laws are ridiculous and should be replaced by a three-level flat tax that cannot be escaped but also never takes more than a reasonable share of anyone’s earnings. But I don’t get to decide that and I have NO sympathy for tax cheaters or those who think it’s okay because “the rich are cheating us all”. That way lies collapse of the society.

Can we get back to discussing Victor Cruz? Please.

4.  GmenMania says:

UUT

5.  GmenMania says:

Can we quit with this political ****? I don’t come here to learn about people’s political positions. . . I come here to talk football.