Video: Freestyle Love Supreme Raps for New York Giants Quarterback Eli Manning

February 1st, 2013 at 8:30 AM

While appearing on ESPN's SportsNation Halftime Show on Thursday, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning was treated to a unique surprise courtesy of New Orleans-based rappers, Freestyle Love Supreme. The group broke out a new song for the hometown hero and his family.

Although slightly awkward, Eli seemed to enjoy the performance and had a few good laughs throughout the rap. Perhaps the best line came within the first minute and a half:

"They said the Patriots couldn't be beat. Eli did it twice – how's that for elite?"

Ahh, Super Bowl week. Whether your favorite team is playing or not, there's never any shortage of bizarre ongoings, but at least this rap was entertaining.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New Orleans, New York, New York Giants, NFL

16 Responses to “Video: Freestyle Love Supreme Raps for New York Giants Quarterback Eli Manning”

1.  The Original G Man says:

Dan – I sent you a note through the site when I signed in asking you to clear my IP address.

2.  NC Giant says:

That is awesome…LOVE IT!

And Benton…you nailed the best line!

3.  The Original G Man says:

(Hey, it worked! Thanks, Dan!)

Agree with NC Giant … totally nailed the best line in the summary.

Eli looks about how I would when exposed to that song. You know he’s thinking “How am I supposed to respond to this embarrassment? Mom taught me not to brag so I don’t like drawing too much attention to myself, and man, do I hate this music. Keep smiling because it’s nice of them to do this, but how soon can I get outta here?”

5.  The Original G Man says:

PFF listed Steve Brown as one of their Top Subs of 2012:

I thought this was the most interesting part though:

“Few safeties provide the security of Kenny Phillips, who surrendered just 16 yards in 171 coverage snaps this season.”

Clear proof that what we’ve heard is correct: KP is so sound that when quarterbacks see him out there they refuse to throw in the deep middle and will usually target the wide receivers who are on the other side of the field from where he has shifted as the play unfolds.

That means that he is the kind of defender in the secondary who takes away a part of every offense’s game. That’s Darrell Revis Land. If we lose Phillips (and I suspect there’s a good chance we will) he is going to be sorely missed. As far as I’m concerned Reese’s highest priorities should be trying to retain Beatty and Phillips (assuming KP’s knee is reasonably sound). I’d direct money at them before I’d worry at all about Cruz, Bennett, Boothe, Rivers, Osi, Locklear, Rogers, Brown, or any of the others.

While I agree with you on KP’s value I think the money we would have to spend on him is not worth it when we have a reasonable and much cheaper replacement. If we re-signed KP that’s a ton of money tied up at safety and too many holes to be addressed but the draft alone. I think this is kind of like the Cofield situation, a player we liked and wanted to keep but keeping him would require too much money at one position. I’m sure we will make an offer but I’m guessing it won’t be enough. I just hope if we lose KP it’s not to a division rival because all of them could use a safety like KP.

Shouldn’t give up KP without a fight. Reese should make a really strong push, make it clear how much they respect him and want him, make it clear that the medical staff was being careful with him because we want him here for his entire career, and then give him an offer that he may turn down but would clearly demonstrate we’re serious about wanting him. He’s not a guy we should play games with at all. Make the first offer the best one we can make.

Dan, you KNOW I’ve been on the Ojomo bus since last pre-season. Totally agree with you. He will break out in 2013.

I agree we are set up well without Osi at DE with the presence of Kiwi, Ojomo and hopefully Tracy (who I think is a free agent). However, I think acting like Osi is some scrub like some are is just wrong. Even this past year he was probably our second best DE. Osi has been a very good player for us for a long time and still can really help another team. I think with his size and athletic ability a 3-4 OLB position might actually fit him better than a 4-3 DE since he’s a little light for a DE. I see the Jets as a real possibility because I think Osi likes NY and wants to play here but he wants to start. Osi wanting to start is not some flaw or crazy talk, he is still a starting level player. I hope at least Osi goes to the AFC so I can still root for him.

Osi’s been a great player for us, and has plenty of football left. But we almost certainly cannot afford him and it’s time for Kiwi to really join the rotation and for Tracy and Ojomo to shine. I think we have five strong DEs besides Osi (yes, I expect a much better 2013 from Tuck) and can only retain him with a cap-friendly deal that he can easily beat elsewhere. And he should. Nothing wrong with his being “all about the money”. He clearly enjoys playing, and enjoys the culture of the Giants, but that won’t be paying his bills a decade from now.

Every one of these guys playing for pay is allowing himself to be physically punished in exchange for lots of dollars. Some are less aggressive about the dollars than others, but none are playing simply for the love of the game. They could do that in a flag-football league. They sacrifice some degree of physical ease the rest of their lives in order to land those paychecks. Hard to resent someone wanting a bigger check if he can earn it.

I’ll always like, and respect, Osi. I wish we could keep him but I see no way to do so.

8.  kujo says:

My Aunt and Uncle met Eli last night. The 2 brothers, and Archie, were at the same St.Jude’s big wig conference in New Orleans, and they were seated at the same table. They are huge Saints fans, but came away incredibly impressed with Eli and couldn’t stop talking about his great sense of humor. They’re sending me his autograph.

9.  kujo says:

Deep thoughts from Eli Manning on how Hakeem Nicks’ injury hampered the Giants’ offense: “I think having Hakeem …

… kind of banged up all year was tough,” Manning said today during a promotional appearance for Gatorade at the Super Bowl Media Center. “He wasn’t that same kind of dominant receiver, and that deep threat, get-down-the-field guy. It was tough on him. I loved his toughness. He wanted to be out there playing. He wanted to try to practice. But he couldn’t quite do it. It had an effect on our offense.

“I think it was just kind of hard to judge (deep passes to Nicks), get kind of a good feel for where he was, what his top speed was. He couldn’t really practice. In practice he was going three-quarters speed. Some games he seemed to have that extra burst. Some games it didn’t happen. I think it was just based on how he was feeling. So I think it was hard to get a sense of where to put the ball where you’re not even thinking, you’re just throwing it and it’s coming out the right spot because you’ve been throwing it in practice all week, you’re throwing it that way all season. With Hakeem it was just hard to kind of throw it and know exactly where he was going to be.” #NYG

Hakeem’s health was the downfall of the Giants this season. There were other factors, many of them, but take that one problem and make it go away and we’re definitely in the playoffs and perhaps still playing on Sunday despite everything else.