January 31st, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis is as controversial as they come. From escaping a murder charge 13 years ago to his god-fearing persona of today, and more recently, to reports that he took banned substances to recover from a torn triceps injury, he's a hot topic of conversation. But much of the attention Ray Lewis receives is derived from the attention he calls upon himself. And while most members of the media continue to eat out of his hand, there are a few that refuse to fall for his ruse. Former New York Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer is one of those people.

'Ray Lewis' photo (c) 2013, Keith Allison - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

"It's definitely all about him. Once a guy goes to the center of the field, goes into the victory formation on the last play of his last home game …" Toomer told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday in the Super Bowl XLVII Media Center. " I just don't think the Giants or any organization I've ever been a part of, even growing up, would allow somebody to single themselves out like that."

For Ray, it's always been about Ray. It will always be about Ray. And no matter how many times he pretends that's not the case, his actions speak far louder than his words … and he's never short on those either.

Yes, he's been extremely successful on the field, and many believe that's enough to sing his praises. Those that need more, are easily persuaded by his alleged religious beliefs. But there remain some that seem to look beyond that and see the man for the man, and not the player. Those who believe he was involved in unspeakable evil 13 years ago, and those who believe he's still a fraud today.

While Toomer stopped short of saying that, he made it clear the entire Ray Lewis shtick has grown old and tired.

"If you want to say you're Mr. Religious and all of that, have a clean record. Don't say all of that stuff if you know there's stuff that might come back," Toomer said. "Those are the things that, when I look at him, I just think hypocrisy."

Toomer is far from alone in what he sees from Mr. Ray Lewis, but it's become taboo to dare speak blasphemy about such an iconic athlete. Of course, that's some pretty thick irony as Eli Manning and Tim Tebow are often the targets of unjust and outlandish attacks, while Lewis gets a pass because… Well, there's really no good answer to that.

Retirement or not, Ray Lewis isn't going to go away for a very long time, and that's mainly because he'll just never allow that to happen.

Tags: Amani Toomer, Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ray Lewis

12 Responses to “Former New York Giants WR Amani Toomer is Tired of Ray Lewis and the Ray Lewis Shtick”

Toomer is 100% right.

2.  The Original G Man says:

It’s all about the U.

It’s all about Ray.

3.  sonnymooks says:

I think the world of Jerry Reese, and love the Giants, but lets face facts, they are not good at drafting and evaluating linebackers.

I shouldn’t say Jerry Reese per say, its more then likely the scouts who aren’t good at it, and you know what, thats not unusual.

Some scouts are good at evaluating DLs and OLs, other guys strengths might be DBs and, other guys WRs, its a little unusual for any scout to excel at evaluating all positions equally well.

The Giants are very good at evaluting DL, but they have a blind spot on LBs, its a weakness, it happens. I do think we need LB help, but we’ve needed it for years, we aren’t good at finding it.

Personally, I’d like to grab a LB in the 3rd round, unless someone is head and shoulders above everyone else at our spot in the 1st or 2nd. Personally, I think we need to get another pass rusher on the line, and get secondary help, which are to me, bigger needs right now then LB. I do think we need OL help too, but we did draft 2 guys last year, and it will take a year (unless we get a superstud) to develop a OL anyway (with the way our system works). I see nothing wrong with getting a project for the line and developing him, and coaching him up, let him learn for a year.

But we need, NEED defensive help, right now, we have given up over 6,000 yards TWICE in the last 2 seasons. We aren’t changing coordinators, we aren’t changing schemes, so we NEED to upgrade the talent, no ifs ands or buts.

Personally, I think getting a LB is very important, and that when we look at them, we also need to consider how physical they are, we need THUMPERs, we need LBs that are strong hard HITTERS.

You want to beat the spread offenses ? You want to stop the pistol ? You worried abour RG3 or Chip Kelly ? The solution, the answer, is the same as its always been………………..HITTING !!! More HARD HITTING, more PHYSICAL play. Look at what happened to the Pats this year, every team that decided to punch them in the mouth and out hit and out physical them, BEAT THEM. Thats your blueprint right there.

•  Krow says:

On defense we’re a coverage team. Bend but don’t break … remember. That’s the direct opposite of ‘HITTING !!! More HARD HITTING, more PHYSICAL play’. And that’s what we are.

This is why I’m worried. Why I wonder if we’re being the dinosaur.

I agree with much of this, but you cannot have it both ways. “Thumpers” at OLBer don’t come in 230-235-pound speed packages unless they’re HOF material. And speed tends not to come from 245-260 pound packages who can hit like a ton ‘a bricks unless, again, they are HOF material.

I think we want speed on the outside and “adequate quickness + thumpers” in the MIKE role. Blackburn isn’t the answer. I think we need to wait until the end of this season to see if Herzlich could be (he has not really had an adequate opportunity yet and I’m not writing him off). I’d love to draft that guy. But I don’t see anyone in this draft who necessarily fits the bill at MIKE or is that much better than what we have on the outside. The best of them, by far, is Jenkins (who COULD be a difference-maker) and we won’t get anywhere near him.

I think the value at #19 is going to be at corner, but I’ve liked every one of the first picks since Reese arrived so I’ll trust his pick whomever it proves to be.

•  Krow says:

Scheme comes into play too. Can’t do much hitting if you’re backpedalling into your zone.

•  sonnymooks says:

I agree, Speed at the OLB spots, and a brutal HITTER in the MLB spot (Or vice versa).

Personally, it looks to me, like they don’t really consider hitting when they evaluate, they look at speed, coverage, and other traits, but how hard a LB hits, doesn’t seem to be one of them.

Jenkins would be a dream, and is probably going to be a star in this league, we’re not getting him unless something goes horribly wrong for him to slide, and even then, for him to slide to us, would probably be so bad, that we would pass on him also.

Our “D” is to much coverage, read and react style finesse, with the DL being left the job of being the physical guys. I like safeties that make guys soil themselves and LBs who who strike fear. Thats wishful thinking, and I don’t expect that, but we do have to adjust to these “new wave” offenses, ironically, the way to beat them, is to go old school (whats old is new and whats new is old).

That said, our scouts are not strong on picking LBs, and now that we are more coverage oriented, its actually becoming more and more important. You can have a physical hard hitting cover 2 team, Tampa Bay used to be one, and the Bears like to hit. One of Monte Kiffins hallmarks is that his defenses are more physical then most coverage style teams despite the emphasis on speed (which is what separates him from most other cover 2 disciples).

Amani is absolutely right, but you have to also remember that he still carries a HUGE chip on his shoulder. He was a gentlemen who both gave the Giants a lot of years of great play and conducted himself well throughout. Did he ever really get his due from the media? Not really. You could see him burn when he was constantly asked about “How great is Plaxico Burress? How does he do that stuff?” while his own contributions were slighted. He knew he was probably, over the course of a career, the better football player and far the better person. But unlike someone like Eli, who is preternaturally unconcerned about getting his due from the media and others outside the locker room (wouldn’t it be great if one day Eli looked around and said “Show me the better big game quarterback in the history of this league when you keep insisting I’m inconsistent or lacking in something. You think Brady and Rodgers are so great? How’ve they done against me when it counted the most?”), Amani cares.

He wonders why he didn’t get his due yet phonies like Ray Lewis get lionized by the idiots in the media. Can you blame him?

I think Toomer is wrong on the religious aspect. You can’t tell someone else how to be religious. Many people that are heavily religious suffered through tragedy or went through struggles themselves. Those who have been through struggles more relate to Ray Lewis’s of the world more than the Tebow’s of the world. Nothing against Tebow outside the football field because he seems to be an outstanding human being in all aspects. But most people make mistakes and can relate to those that have come back from hard times. That’s why our society forgives in general.

6.  jb322 says:

You guys and these chips!!!!!!! You got me jonesing for some chips!!! So I stopped on my way home and bought some……mmmmmmmm, delicious!

7.  jb322 says:

Jalapeno, in case you were wondering.