January 30th, 2013 at 11:30 AM

The 2011-2012 season has already been written in the history books. The New York Giants reigned as world champions, and did so by first defeating the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship game and then the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI.

2012-2013 brought about a new season, and both the Giants and Patriots had let go of the previous year. However, despite being in Super Bowl XLVII, the 49ers have not.

Since arriving in New Orleans earlier this week, they've done more talking about Big Blue than they have the Baltimore Ravens. And admittedly, a large part of that has to do with the questions they're asked by the hoards of media, but they've clung to that 20-17 overtime loss since the very moment it happened. Even after signing Mario Manningham and Brandon Jacobs in free agency, the team refused to acknowledge or discuss that game.

Already this week Manningham and running back Frank Gore have talked about the Giants and last season. Gore expressed an incredible amount of bitterness, and that trend continued on Wednesday when the media met with wide receiver Kyle Williams.

Williams, as you might remember, fumbled twice in the NFC Championship game – his second leading to the game-winning field goal in overtime. Following the contest, Williams received death threats from 49ers fans, and it was later revealed that the Giants may have been targeting his head as he had a history of recent concussions.

Looking back on it now -a moment Williams considered one of the worst in his professional career- he remains "shocked" the NFL didn't investigate the Giants for what he considered equally as bad as the New Orleans Saints' bounty program.

"The only thing that was crazy to me was that nothing came of it. That was the only thing. Because I fully expected it to because of what just had happened with the Saints," Williams said. "When that came out I was like, ‘Oh, OK there’ll be the same type of thing.’ But there was nothing. I don’t know if that was because (the Giants) won it, or if it just wasn’t a big deal. But I just thought it would be exactly the same type of thing."

The Giants admitted after the game they had a strategic attack plan for Williams, who had a history of concussions, but never did they intent to purposely injury the wide receiver beyond the normal violence of a football game. As Giants 101 wrote at the time, there was a world of difference between a gameplan and a bountry program, and that's undoubtedly why the NFL didn't investigate.

"When the bounty stuff came out and Gregg Williams said the same things, basically, they went for his neck with that and they took that to the absolute highest level they could,” Williams added. “But it was almost like when the Giants said it, it was not a big deal. That’s the only thing that kind of shocked me. I thought that would have the same reaction because it was the same exact thing.”

Perhaps someone should remind Williams that his own teammate, Carlos Rodgers, admitted that the 49ers did intentionally try to injure Giants quarterback Eli Manning … and it's more amazing that the NFL didn't investigate those claims.

Tags: Carlos Rodgers, Eli Manning, Football, Frank Gore, Kyle Williams, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

41 Responses to “San Francisco 49ers’ Kyle Williams “Shocked” NFL Didn’t Investigate Giants After NFC Championship”

1 2 3

Repost:

Those were extremely tough conditions in GB. Blaming him for missing those kicks isn’t fair because I think most kickers would have struggled. I think overall he’s been a clutch.

He’s missed too many easy kicks but that Philly game wasn’t one of them. Even a strong leg is only 50% from 54 yards out.

I think Tynes is fine but we should look to improve and find our kicker for the foreseen future. It appears that Tynes is trending downward so it appears the right time to bet on a young kicker that should be able to at least duplicate his 2012 accuracy while giving us a stronger leg.

2.  The Original G Man says:

I wonder if Kyle Williams still insists the ball never hit him on his first punt return screw-up?

I don’t think either claim deserves any investigation. The Bounty Gate only happened because of actual money exchanging hands. Talk as long as nothing crosses the line on the field means nothing. Hit the QB is part of football at any level. Over the line illegal shots would have to be taken several times to merit any seriousness. If the refs aren’t throwing flags at questionable plays then defenders are going to continue with similar hits.

I love it that we so messed with their heads … priceless.

Once again, boo-hoo. Amazing what babies these Niners have turned out to be. Maybe it comes from watching their coach throw tantrums on the sidelines five times each game. They ought to give this bunch some extra “time outs” when they can be sent to a corner to cool off.

6.  The Original G Man says:

I hate (*HATE*!) Jim Harbaugh! No matter my opinion about Ray Lewis, I could never root for Harbaugh to win the Super Bowl.

I have three tickets for the home games. I’m wondering if for a mere $2,000 I can hire Gilbride to come and sit with me and my son some Sunday. I figure I could get people to give me no less than $200,000 (in $10 individual donations) to keep KG off the sidelines.

It’s been quite a while since the Superbowl has featured two such very unlikeable teams. The Whiners and their juvenile coach … vs. the Ravens led by Murderin’ Ray Lewis, soldier of God.

Luckily I’ll have Kettle Chips.

9.  Jen Polashock says:

All of this “boo-hoo-ing” can be brought right back to the alleged leader, Jim Harbaugh– who SHOULD be teaching his players how to let go of the failures in their past instead of focusing on them. It matters not what the media asks; it’s all in how the answer comes back. As long as they keep their eyes on January of 2012 & not February of ’13, here comes another FAIL. Yipee. More crying soundbites from Harb!+ch.

I think people are wrong for bashing Williams. His comments have more to do with how the bounty stuff was handled. He’s right that some of the talk sounds similar but what he’s missing is the money being offered.

I think people are being way too sensitive to what SF players say. As a football fan though I hardly ever root for them, I like the way the team plays. I think you can argue that this is the first SB in a while that both teams were based on old school football approach. While SF does some read option stuff the reason why they are here is their defense, running game and efficient QB play. Same goes for Bmore. This is how football long was supposed to be played in order to win at the highest level.

I think many put too much in a couple of quotes from players to categorize they are good or bad guys. Most of these guys we don’t know if they are good or not. I root for the product I see on the field and if a guy is a quality person off the field that’s a bonus. This is what I learned given LT is still my favorite player.

1 2 3