January 30th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Mario Manningham once again finds himself at the Super Bowl, although unlike last year, he'll be forced to sit this one out due to injury. Still, the former New York Giants third-round pick managed to hobble himself to Media Day on Tuesday, where a sea of reporters awaited anxiously. Naturally, one of the premiere topics for discussion was his amazing catch in Super Bowl XLVI against the New England Patriots.

To this point, it's the moment that defines Manningham's NFL career. It's one that many would embrace – after all, every athlete on earth would like to come up big in the biggest moment of their professional careers. And Super Mario did just that. Unfortunately, instead of it being a grand memory that he loves to relive, it's become tiresome and, for whatever reason, a sore spot for the former Wolverine.

"I’m tired of talking about it, for real," Manningham said. "If you see David Tyree, ask him, is he tired of people talking about [his catch in Super Bowl XLII]?"

As it turns out, Tyree isn't tired of talking about his catch in Super Bowl XLII and embraces it as the moment that defines his NFL career. Why Manningham refuses to do the same is unclear, but his message was heard by the media: no more talking about what some dubbed "The Catch II."

Talking about his former team, however; well, that remained opened for discussion. And Manningham acknowledged they could have been incredible dangerous had they made the playoffs.

"I wish them nothing but the best, but I'd rather us be in this position than them," he said.

Manningham has always been a bit of an odd character, so his disdain for discussing "The Catch II" isn't all that surprising. And while it may be a bit odd, especially given its significance, the veteran wideout appears to want a larger body of work to define him, and one can hardly blame him for that. But he should be counting his blessings because prior to that catch it was his Wonderlic score that defined him. Wonder if he wants to talk about that instead?

Tags: David Tyree, Football, Mario Manningham, New England, New England Patriots, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

16 Responses to “Former New York Giants WR Mario Manningham is Tired of Talking About Super Bowl XLVI Catch”

I think he’s trying to fit in with his new team. Simple as that. And what defines them most is their incessant whining about us beating them last year.

If I took a high paying job at a competitior that effing hated my old employer … and was always slagging them … then I might not talk about all the good things I did at my old job either.

Especially if it’s THE defining play that won them a Superbowl.

rlhjr says … “Jalapeño flavored kettle chips are the absolute bomb.”

They’re good, but Salt & Pepper are the best. I plan on gorging myself on them this Sunday.

3.  Syed Sohail Shah says:

Exactly I agree, he has a new team a new bunch of friends and he can only say so much about his former team. That being said, he can still appreciate the play because he was the one who made it, and I think our team def missed him this year and our offense was much different with him out there

•  Krow says:

That’s for sure. I think once he retires he’ll feel differently about ‘the catch’. Once he doesn’t have to worry about ending up like Brandon Jacobs.

4.  kujo says:

Mario better have serious people handling his money while he lives a frugal lifestyle. Because he’s dumb as a sack of moldy potatoes, and has less charisma than the turd I pinched out this morning. It’s not like he’s going to be the spokesman of anything, or get a cushy media job when he hangs em up. So while he may be “done” talking about that catch, there’s a good chance that it will be the best thing he ever does in his life, something he can use as justification for “speaking” gigs and “guest appearances” (ie- pay checks) for the rest of his life. He may not write a book like Tyree, but he’d be even dumber than we all thought of he kept acting all surly about his career-defining moment.

Or maybe he’s just not a fan of money.

5.  The Original G Man says:

With his injury, I wonder if Manningham is a candidate to get cut by SF? The 49ers have 13 draft picks this year and if they don’t do some serious packaging of them in deals, their cap situation is going to be a huge problem.

6.  kujo says:

Oh, and Krow, could you explain your kettle chip reference to the non-septuagenarian crowd?

7.  The Original G Man says:

Because I’m a Patriot hater, here’s a bunch of fun facts about the last time they won a Super Bowl:

* George W Bush had just begun his 2nd term
    * “The Office” had not yet aired
    * Jennifer Aniston was married to Brad Pitt
    * Facebook.com did not exist
    * Apple had not yet come up with the Nano, Shuffle, Touch, or iPhone.
    * Frank used to post.

8.  Chad Eldred says:

I’m so lucky that I’ve never made a heroic catch in the super bowl. What a cursed life that would be.

9.  rlhjr says:

Mario is trying to fit in with Frisco. He knows full well what his version of the catch meant. Also, didn’t SF has their version of “The Catch” Clark vs. Dallas?
    The last thing the whiner nine’ers what to hear is about a better “The Catch” by a Giant.

Kujo, you know your Pillsbury Doe Boy popping fresh a$$ eats chips………..LMAO