January 29th, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Since 2007, the New York Giants have never won a game. At least not if you were to ask their opponents, who all claim they were the "better team" and the Giants either got lucky or some other nonsensical excuse. And that line of thinking continued on Monday as San Francisco 49ers running back Frank Gore recalled the NFC Championship game from a year ago, claiming the 49ers were the "better team," but just didn't finish.

'IMG_8425' photo (c) 2009, John Martinez Pavliga - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"Knowing we were the better team. We didn’t finish," Gore said on Monday. "The Giants won the game. It was tough. It was real tough. I had a chance to go to the Pro Bowl and I couldn’t even go because I was so hurt. Knowing that we were the better team, but we didn’t finish. They won and they moved on.”

The Giants, of course, were the better team a year ago and went on to win Super Bowl XLVI. They were also the better team in week six of this season when they demolished the 49ers 26-3.

From the 49ers to the New England Patriots to the Green Bay Packers, this mantra has become a common theme in the NFL. If the New York Football Giants beat you, you were just having an off day and it's purely coincidental. But hey, as they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

However you want to look at it, the Giants were the better team a year ago. They were a better team in week six of this season. But when all the chips fell into place, they weren't as good as the 49ers in 2012. They can accept that, as painful as it may be, so perhaps Frank Gore should stop looking back and embracing his bitterness before what haunts him costs him another chance at a Lombardi Trophy.

Tags: Football, Frank Gore, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

44 Responses to “49ers’ Frank Gore on NFC Championship Loss to New York Giants: “We were the Better Team””

1.  kujo says:

Repost:

Love TT, and really hope he renegotiates that contract down so that he can be in camp and try for a comeback. But Reese would be a damn fool to think of him as anything other than camp fodder at this point. To return anything close to form would be a Cruz-like miracle, necessitating the addition of some exclamation points at the end of Thomas’ surname. The sad reality is that he will very likely not make it back, with the Giants or anybody else. I was and still am a huge fan of this guy. But his days as a starting CB are probably over.

I think he’s similar to Andre Brown a few years ago. Of course Brown had never proven what TT had on an NFL. But when we signed Brown it was for the slight hope that he could recover into the RB we drafted. TT is a a similar place put he won’t get a year of PS to bridge the gap.

I think TT will be healthy for training camp, it’s more a matter of will his new 100% be good enough to contribute to our team. I think him being a former physical CB gives him a good shot a converting to safety. I wonder if TT would be willing to place special teams and serve as a deep backup on a team he once starred for? I think there’s a pretty good chance he’s a better 4th safety than Sash but besides that I don’t have much hope. Especially as a CB.

•  kujo says:

I hope Thomas makes it back. But I’m just saying that Reese better not count on it. Our struggles in the secondary last year were partly due to placing too many eggs in Thomas’ basket. You can’t just sign a quality guy off the street when one of your starters goes down in training camp. And given our cap situation last year, and this year, there just isn’t much we can do other than draft guys and let them learn on the field.

That part I don’t agree. Look many of us thought that the combination Witherspoon, Coe, Tryon, Johnson, etc. would be more than enough if TT was ready. I never looked at TT as a sure thing and thought we had enough quality in place should TT not be able to contribute. Witherspoon and Johnson got hurt. Tryon looked horrible after looking good in limited time in 2011. Coe looked alright when he played not quite what we needed.

Even with all of that the major hinderance in performance of the CB unit was Webster. If he’s the #1 CB we expected then the unit is a lot better. Prince was better than expected and then we could have helped Hosley more in the slot with 2 upper tier CBs.

2.  G-MenFan says:

They just won’t shut up these ‘niners. I swear to God I’m getting close to rooting for “Stabby” and the Ravens.

3.  kinsho says:

All the more reason to start rooting for the Ravens. Damn I hate the niners.

4.  kujo says:

These comments don’t even phase me anymore. I’d rather someone think they’re the better team, and use that belief to propel them forward after big losses such as the ones we’ve delivered to the 49ers in the last 365 days, then to have Justin “What About Bob” Tuck wax philosophical about how the other team was better and blah blah blah.

I think players should believe they are better. Especially in a game so close I understand when so many key plays that could have gone the other way. I still believe that we were worn down that SF game from the prior 4 weeks and didn’t play our best football but that’s just my belief. I respect that both them and the Ravens after two of the toughest championship losses in NFL history both came back the year after to win on the road after being down early to get back to the SB. Both teams had the hunger we were missing this year.

5.  kujo says:

The good news is that linebacker Ray Lewis may not be facing many questions about a 13-year-old controversy during media day. The bad news is that there’s a fresh topic into which the assembled reporters will want to delve when Lewis and the Ravens gather at the Superdome for the annual exercise in journalistic hysteria.

According to Sports Illustrated, Lewis contacted a company owned by a former male stripper to obtain a deer-antler velvet extract after tearing his triceps in October.

Mitch Ross of S.W.A.T.S reportedly videotaped the phone call from Lewis.

“Spray on my elbow every two hours?” Lewis asked Ross regarding the extract, via Philly.com. (Quotes from the conversation don’t appear in the free online version of the Sports Illustrated article; presumably, Philly.com gleaned the info from the full article.)

“No,” Ross said. “Under your tongue.”

Later, Lewis asked Ross to “just pile me up and just send me everything you got, because I got to get back on this this week.”

The problem for Lewis is that the extract contains IGF-1, which is on the NFL’s list of banned substances. For the NFL, the problem is that Lewis will retire after Sunday. So there’s really nothing that can be done — unless Lewis admits to it on Tuesday and the league puts the investigative process into the highest gear possible.

Even then, it’s impossible that the matter would progress through all available appeals before Sunday night.

Ray Lewis … dirty to the end.

7.  GIANTT says:

Im not sure I understand Gores reasoning here – Hes playing in the Super Bowl why on earth would he comment on a game last year ? Maybe he should go back and watch THIS years game also – I wonder why he didnt mention it because I dont think there was any “they got lucky and we were the better team ” bullfeathers .
    I watched last years Super Bowl last night , and I came away with two thoughts – again an amazing upshot from me according to many but here goes – First , the game was NOTHING like I remembered and secondly with the benefit of hindsight , the Giants were lucky that whatshernames husband had a mediocre day because if it was a typical day the Giants would have lost . Of course , as the game recedes in history , perceptions change and the now the Giants won easily rather than , lets get out of Dodge with the trophy

•  jfunk says:

Lucky? You think it’s totally random chance that whatshisname seems to have a mediocre day every time he plays the Giants? You think Eli completing 75% of his passes was lucky? You think it was luck that made the Patriots completely incapable of finding an answer for Hakeem Nicks?

It was a close, hard fought game that could have gone either way down to the final play. It wasn’t lucky.

The Giants were the superior team going into that game. There was every reason for them to dominate on paper. Brady having an absolutely uncanny 15 minutes in the middle of it was the only reason the Patriots had a chance (whathisname broke the Superbowl record for consecutive completions in that game by the way…not bad for a mediocre day).

That Boothe holding call changed the whole game. We might have won that game fairly easily if that wasn’t called.

•  G-menfan4lyfe says:

I was just talking to my buddy at work about this the other day. Then I showed him the sound fx where Wilfork told the ref it was a bad call. It would have given us a 1st down and extended a drive that would have at least put a FG on the board.

I agree completely with you on this one.

Boo-hoo.

No class. Must take his cues from the DeBartolos and Harbaugh.

I wish I thought they’d get stuffed in the Super Bowl. I’ll be rooting big-time for the nicer Harbaugh and Ray Rice.

•  kujo says:

Ray Rice is the pride of New Rochelle! Went to the same high school as my dad and wore the same jersey number. Hard to root against him!

•  jfunk says:

I can’t choose. I dislike both of these teams. At the end of the day, I’m going to be annoyed that whichever of them has the trophy.

Harbaugh and Vernon Davis are really unlikeable **** and I still hate the 49ers for being in the Giants’ way in the 80′s and 2002.

On the other hand, nobody on their team is a should-be felon turned phony TV evangelist. And they aren’t responsible for the Giants’ single Superbowl loss either.

Ugh, really wish Denver had made it.

9.  cjhildy76 says:

If they were the better team they would not have been 1 for 13 on 3rd down conversions.

10.  The Original G Man says:

Hello, everyone. Long time, no see. Been tied up with life, plus trying to deal with the depression of this past season, so my heart hasn’t been in it. Hope to be back full time in the near future.